UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Tell me about ear cropping...

2/11/09 12:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bitters
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/09 12:54 PM

Because I can be half retarded sometimes, I was under the impression that some pits were simply bred to have cropped ears. Once I found it was a surgical procedure, I was kind of taken back.Is this done solely for looks (seems kinda rough if that's the case) or are there actual benefits to the dog for doing this?
2/11/09 4:12 PM
MikeZev
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In pit bulls, there is no medical or practical reason to crop ears. It is strictly a cosmetic procedure.

Even old school dogfighters typically didnt crop ears because if an opposing dog got a hold of an ear it wasnt going to do any major damage so it was beneficial to leave the ears natural.

Its an uncomfortable procedure for the dog but supposedly isnt as bad when a laser is used. still, its a surgery (which has its own inherent risks) and its chopping the dogs ears off its head no matter how you look at it.

I personally like the look of a nice crop but I'd never personally do it to one of my dogs.
2/11/09 4:27 PM
Bitters
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeZev - 
I personally like the look of a nice crop but I'd never personally do it to one of my dogs.

I'm with you on that...if I end up rescuing one, then I really wouldn't care cropped or not, but don't think I could every have it done to a dog after I have it.
2/12/09 3:01 AM
smarmysmile
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Historically, cropping was done to sharpen a dog's hearing, as in the case of Louis Dobermann's breed, but that's more or less bullshit and outside of the rare medical emergency cropping today is done for aesthetic/conformation purposes.

I personally loathe the look of cropped ears. But done correctly the risks and stress on the dog are minimal.
2/14/09 1:18 AM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/09 1:18 AM
it is a lot of work. you the owner can mess it up if you don't know what your doing after the surgery. but pits ears are really short so it will be easier.this is my dobe last year gotta get a new pic on here.

Photobucket
5/6/09 1:05 PM
NHBDaddy
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^thats a show crop. sport crop is shorter and if done early enough no aftercare at all

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.