UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Doggy Diabetes...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/11/09 5:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FERA BRABA
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found out today that one of my dogs, a pure-bred Miniature Pincher, has advanced diabetes. He lost his sight over the course of two days and now we are in the delimma of what to do. The fact that he is blind now alone makes this very difficult. He is such a great dog. Now to consider the medications, injections, etc... it's hard to decide what will make him most comfortable for the amount of time left.

Have any of you had to deal with a dog having diabetes? If so, what advice might you give?
2/12/09 2:50 AM
smarmysmile
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A diet change and medications may help but ultimately the outlook is bad. If it were me I'd spare myself and the dog a lot of trouble by putting it down now.

2/12/09 11:05 AM
FERA BRABA
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting smarmysmile.

I took him to the vet again today and he still has a lot of energy so I've decided to not give up yet. The moment he starts to show a point of no return we'll take unfortunate step. But in the meantime we are going to give him as much as we can and continue to push forward.
2/12/09 11:45 AM
smarmysmile
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your vet should be able to recommend(or prescribe) appropriate kibble(ie: there are diabetic forumlas) and the type of insulin for your dog.

Other than that make the best of the situation(quality time and comfort) and keep an eye out for changes.

Most of all, good luck!

2/14/09 11:18 PM
FERA BRABA

He's got a new food and he's getting vetsulin twice a day. After three days he's really showing signs of the better. Lots of tail wagging and quality energy. We're in a good position right now.

Thanks again.
2/16/09 9:20 AM
MikeZev
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good to hear. keep a close eye on him.
2/16/09 6:57 PM
zoies
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear your doggie is better and it sounds like his blood glucose is under control. I am glad you were able to get him diagnosed in time to get him started on the insulin. Take care :)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.