UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Survival post of the day!!!!!!!!!!

2/12/09 10:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While taking a dump (most of my GENIUS comes while I drop a deuce or two..) I thought...

"Why not have a post where each and every day one user on the Survival Ground could post something constructive, informative, or inspiring with the rest of the group.."

Sounds corny, it is, but it is honestly useful...

Like today, (I refer back to my deuce session) I thought, "When was the last time I used an old fashioned compass to find my direction? Not a GPS, not Google Earth, but a Compass???"

Makes you think eh??? Well, here goes!!

While thinking about all the required things needed in a BOB or GOOD kit, I didn't even think about it,,,, a fucking simple compass and MAP!!!! A Topographical map!!!! MAN I need to brush off the rust and look at one again.. It's been wayyyyy to long since I did that!!

So for today, (2/12/2009) today's post could be,

Go and get yourself a compass, (re) familarize yourself with it, get a map of your area, and surrounding area, and do yourself some good.. Get out, explore, and get used to it!!! If SHTF, your battery powered GPS isn't going to last long!!!

Josh
2/14/09 5:23 PM
Vantagepoint
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff, I was blessed with a former work colleague that was an old orientering (swedish spelling not sure about the american one. I know its one of 3 words the english language has borrowed from Swedish (in exchange for about 10.000)) champ. He taught me alot about reading the map, taking out directions and moving long distances in the woods without straying of course. I love the old map an compass. I try to do one of my weekend exercises an orientering about once a month. Around here we have lots of clubs and getting maps is pretty much walking into a club and buying one for 2$.
2/15/09 12:37 AM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for when I get back home
2/17/09 3:59 AM
TheeSenator

Know your land!

Be familar with the area you are going to be in.

-- Is it the same place you are every day?

-- If not, ask the locals about EVERYTHING. Food, weather, water sources, where to stay away from, etc...
2/20/09 7:15 AM
TheeSenator

make sure you have meds for at least 90 days in your storage.....
3/6/09 1:58 AM
Shawn C

Who needs a compass when you have a stick and the sun?

9/12/12 1:29 AM
Player 1

A couple ways to make fire without matches. Could be useful:

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/04/29/9-ways-to-start-a-fire-without-matches/
10/27/12 8:17 PM
Loiosh
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ALWAYS have the big 3 on your person: a cutting edge, a light, and a way to make fire.
10/28/12 12:57 PM
ghost of KVR
687 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHomeSteadingBoards.com

rip josh

10/29/12 6:53 AM
MojoJojo
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP indeed

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.