UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Which law school?

2/13/09 10:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Oklahoma44
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been offered a $24,000 scholarship at Ohio Northern University. It is renewable each year provided that I can maintain a 3.0 GPA. I've also been offered a slightly less significant scholarship at Liberty. It is renewable each year provided that I can maintain a 2.0 GPA in the first year and a 2.5 in the second. There is a possibility that Liberty could be free if the wife can gain employment with the school in some capacity.

I am a non-traditional student with a family. My wife currently does not work. When I attend school, she is going to have to find a job in order to support the family. There is NO other option. If the wife doesn't work, I don't go to school. It's that simple.

Ada is in the middle of nowhere. The job opportunities there are very limited at best. Lynchburg has far more employment potential for my wife.

I not willing to take on a lot of debt to go to a higher ranked school at full price. I have no desire for Biglaw.

I have a lengthy military and law enforcement background. My dream job would be to land a gig as an ADA down the road in a rural to semi-rural area. (The Wife and I will not live in a big city.)

Given the circumstances which would you choose and why?
2/14/09 3:32 AM
Xtina

frankly, i'm not familiar with either.  since you say you aren't aiming for biglaw,and assuming there isn't a huge difference in rank between the two, i'd go with whatever is in the city where you want to practice.
2/14/09 7:42 PM
Oklahoma44

ONU is a Tier 3 school. Liberty is currently unranked as it just opened in 2004.
2/14/09 10:21 PM
Shaz

Edited: 02/14/09 10:20 PM
ONU and make sure you maintain your GPA. Reach out to local DA's offices and get internships during law school, and convert the internship into a job when you graduate.

-Shaz!
2/15/09 11:52 AM
Xtina

ONU.
2/16/09 1:18 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do whatever is best for your family. Liberty is accredited.
2/16/09 7:14 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't Liberty the law school that was recently founded by Jerry Falwell? If so, unless you want to practice exclusively in the deep south or extremely rual communities, I would probably opt for Ohio Northern.
2/16/09 9:50 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, the People's College of Law looks like a very nice school.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.