UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> van damme was for real

2/14/09 10:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mwchamp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

middleweight karate champion in belgium. Anybody know if he bodybuilds or lifts a specific routine geared toward speed and power?
2/17/09 2:26 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That same article mentions Frank Dux as a "martial arts legend" while making no mention of the fact that the guy was a total fraud who lied about his military career and martial arts career. So take it with some salt.

A quick google search under his real name revealed only the IMDB and wikipeia sites, as well as a few youtube videos, all have the exact same information with no reference material to back it up. All done by random contributors, so who knows how accurate they are? This video (showing a single punch and kick sequence between two people in gi's in what looks like a high school gym), is supposedly of him fighting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdaYNk9Lwa8

The PKA world title at that time belonged to Bill "superfoot" Wallace, who trained Don "The Dragon" Wilson. Wilson challenged Van Damme on the validity of his kickboxing background and Van Damme retreated quickly. Wilson also challenged him to a KB match, but Van Damme backed down.

http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/DonWilson.htm has a lot more info about van damme from a kickboxing org (IKF) who found that van damme was a karate competitor for Team Belgium and did win the European Professional Karate Association's middleweight championship, this was point fighting.

Don Wilson: "He was a member of the Belgian national team. That's like being part of the Bahamian football league"
2/21/09 1:03 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always wanted to do Shaolin kungfu since I watched the classic Shaolin kungfu movies when I was seven. Then at age 13 I found out about Muay Thai and always loved it even though I didn't get a chance to train in it till I was 26.
2/21/09 4:02 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AIU, noboyd has an issue with you, it's the lack of credibility in VD's claims and the complete lack of ANY verifiable references for it.

The most anybody can ever find on his background is that he fought in a single kickboxing match. The results of that match aren't even proven.

Wilson challenged VD because VD claimed to be a world champion when Wilson's teacher was the world champ. VD got called out on his claims and he backed down.
5/25/09 5:14 AM
laqueus

Is VD really an issue anymore? Shouldn't it more be Jason Statham or Jet Li being questioned?
5/25/09 4:46 PM
FlashGordon2002

JCVD only competed in point Karate tournaments.

The whole "kick-boxing champion" thing was either:

1) The movie publicity machine gone crazy.
2) Someone explained once that any type of punch-kicking tournament is called "kick boxing" in Europe and that's where the confusion arose. I've lived in Europe and I've never encountered this although, admittedly, I lived in Europe AFTER the whole "kick-boxing champion" thing came out so maybe things changed by the time I got there.
6/6/09 9:33 AM
JamS

LOL
7/22/09 9:36 AM
Ghengiseanie

I met him when I was 16, (some 18 years ago,) I was going down to MAI offices for a Photo thing and interview, (i was doing Thai at the time. It was quite rare forkids ot be doing it int he UK>) He was Cover Shooting. he was at the time, a little taller me. Extremely athletic with good charisma. BS or not, He is athletic, If hes not toughened up or conditioned, fair enough, but He has hte skill set required ot be a solid fighter. ANyhoo, He, Dolph, Wesley, Jason Statham and all the other NOn fighter, Film Fighters, have still played an honourable part int he spread of Martial arts through out the world.
7/23/09 6:45 AM
WidespreadPanic

^^ good point.

Thing is, I think guys like VD, Dolph, Wes and Statham are cool with what they're doing. It's the public/fans who want them to be 'fighters'.

I mean did we require Douglas Fairbanks or John Wayne to really be able to swordfight and pistol duel? No. It's stage fighting and art form of its own, requiring separate skills, camera angles, selling the move to the camera.

It's the public who fail to realize the difference between stage fighting and real fighting. One is pretty the other is not and details get lost in the moves. In fact real fighters often make really crappy 'movie fighters'.

7/23/09 2:04 PM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch JCVD.
Not for anything relevant to this thread. It's just awesome, and an interesting insight into what JCVD thinks about himself. It's brutal (on JCVD himself).
7/23/09 3:14 PM
WidespreadPanic

Willybone -  Watch JCVD.
Not for anything relevant to this thread. It's just awesome, and an interesting insight into what JCVD thinks about himself. It's brutal (on JCVD himself).
I think JCVD realized in his whole life he was a 'consumer', albeit conspicuously. He took, he lived, he experienced, but now he knows he didn't really give anything. Maybe this is why so many 'Stars' have a charity. Not to give back but to ease the feelings that they are consuming and not really producing (for instance like an architect).

Good clip on youtube (JCVD confesses).

Good for him. In a way we are all guilty of being too much of a 'consumer'. In my case I worked a very hard job in the healthcare industry, so I know I gave (till it bled). It was very stressful and life and death. But we all have our demons to one degree or another. Maybe he'll become a better actor and be able to do dramatic roles and maybe less 'action-oriented'. Hope he gets clean, he really seems to want it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.