UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Newfound respect for injuries

2/14/09 2:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mohammed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may be slightly off topic but I have new respect for fighters or prosports players with injuries. I've never broken any bones, or had any serious injuries and I've been active my whole life, and more recently sports (basketball to be specific) has been my career and way to put food on the table for the last 5 years.

The other day, on some lousy pickup game, a 6'8 290lbs guy barreled into my outer knee. SNAP CRACKLE POP, and one week later I find out I have ACL torn, MCL torn, Meniscus torn and a bruised Tibia. This fucking sucks, I was going to go play pro in Europe next season, and I had gotten invites to try out for teams all over in Spain, Italy and as far as Bulgaria also.

Doctors said it's to early to give a prognosis, but as a top level basketball player, it's safe to say that I won't ever be 100% and it will take about a year to fully rehab. Right now I am in so much pain it feels like my knee is being held together with Papier Machee. I'm trying to smoke enough weed to forget the pain and the dissapointment.

Basically, I have new found respect for guys who get hurt (Cote, Shogun etc). Average people don't understand how much these things take away from an athletes life both mentally and physically.

I just want you all to know that injuries REALLY suck, don't take your good health for granted and never think you are invincible. If anyone has any injury stories please share them.. I am in a bad state of mind right now..
2/14/09 3:11 PM
thewellhungarian
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to hear that, hope things take a turn for the better for you. In my day to day life when things go wrong I always keep in mind something my Father told me after a friends suicide and myslef getting stabbed:

" things are never so bad that they couldn't be worse, count your blessings"

Good luck to you in your future, keep that quote in mind, it helps brighten some bad days for me.
2/14/09 5:40 PM
Mohammed

Thanks man. I hope to recover fully.

I pray for all of the guys who have families to feed but injuries stop their career short. I'm lucky that I have a good support (and free healthcare).
2/14/09 6:05 PM
thetrollsmasher

Hey I hope you make a full recovery as well. I think it's very important for you to remain as physically active as possible ( I know its tough with a destroyed knee, but to exercise the core and arms ect. And also to get the best rehab coach you can afford, especially if you put food on the table through your athletic career
2/14/09 6:11 PM
voorhees

DONT play recreational BB games if you are a pro stupid.

Sorry so harsh,but you knew this was true even before this happened to you.

I hope you recover and get a second chance.
2/14/09 6:16 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Injuries made me into the keyboard warrior I am today!
2/14/09 6:17 PM
JoeHurley
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

voorhees - DONT play recreational BB games if you are a pro stupid.

That's like a fighter getting injured when rolling in his gym with students and being called stupid for grappling outside an event.

2/14/09 6:25 PM
voorhees

JoeHurley - 

That's like a fighter getting injured when rolling in his gym with students and being called stupid for grappling outside an event.

Grappling w/your students is called PRACTICE.I didnt tell the guy not to practice basketball.

If Randy Couture was at a backyard BBQ and decided to roll w/some buddies in the yard and got hurt in the process,it is totally different,and i would call him stupid.I compare that situation to a meaningless pickup game.

Tahts why NBA players have "no pickup games" stipulations in their contracts man.
2/14/09 6:43 PM
voorhees

right?
2/14/09 6:47 PM
mr nemo

Immaculata - Injuries made me into the keyboard warrior I am today!

LOL! Me too.

That really sucks,I hope your recovery is quick and as complete as possible. Work hard to build up that leg. Good luck!
2/14/09 7:07 PM
Mohammed

I've played sports and trained my whole life, and this is my first serious injury. I realized it can happen at any time, whether its practice, eurocup finals, or just a pickup game with friends.

I was not signed when this happen so I was just working out and practicing, nothing I can do to prevent it. But yes if I was signed I would be practicing 7days a week with the team anyways, so I wouldn't have time for pickup games or be allowed to play. Either way it sucks big time..

Thanks for the kind wishes.
2/14/09 7:18 PM
FingerorMoon
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mohammed - Doctors said it's to early to give a prognosis, but as a top level basketball player, it's safe to say that I won't ever be 100% and it will take about a year to fully rehab. Right now I am in so much pain it feels like my knee is being held together with Papier Machee. I'm trying to smoke enough weed to forget the pain and the dissapointment.

That doesn't have to be true ....I remember doctors telling me that.

There are different ways to look at it. Yes it may never 'technically' be 100% again (by definition) but you can get it to the point where you can't tell the difference.

There are exercises that you can do to strengthen ligaments and tendons. You may be able to end up with both knees being stronger than before the operation.

I had a right ACL reco in 2000. I can honestly say I don't protect my 'bad' knee or even consider it in anything I do now.
2/14/09 7:23 PM
caesargermanicus

Hello Mohammad,
I know those injuries can be very hard to deal with. I am a retired professional fighter. I have had 20 some odd surgeries , I'm still pretty young though. I also don't look like I've been through what I have been through. However, yuo will find plenty of time with soul searching, which if you use it to your advantage, can help you, even though it seems sometimes like it won't. Remember be patient, stay positive, that's the secret. Best of luck to you!
2/14/09 7:27 PM
voorhees

caesargermanicus - Hello Mohammad,
I know those injuries can be very hard to deal with. I am a retired professional fighter. I have had 20 some odd surgeries , I'm still pretty young though. I also don't look like I've been through what I have been through. However, yuo will find plenty of time with soul searching, which if you use it to your advantage, can help you, even though it seems sometimes like it won't. Remember be patient, stay positive, that's the secret. Best of luck to you!

Jesus.Really???
2/14/09 7:31 PM
max power
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

injuries are why i never leave home
2/14/09 8:35 PM
thetrollsmasher

haha i didnt know pro basketball players werent supposed to play recreational games. Its not the same thing as doing mma rules matches with 4 ounce gloves and no head gear in practiice everyday that is a terrible comparison
2/15/09 2:29 PM
Mohammed

Thanks fingeror and Caesar... its been one week since the injury.. Still immobile..
2/15/09 4:35 PM
caesargermanicus

Hi Voorhees, yes, it's true, I swear. I've got three more surgeries to go, and I should be fixed up pretty good. Alot of injuries huh? I hope you avoid all of that. Good luck, take care Voorhees. Mohammed, no problem, hope it helps somehow.
2/15/09 5:36 PM
WidespreadPanic

Maybe the lesson is, just as fighters shouldn't ride motorcycles, pro-basketball players shouldn't play pick up games.

(ps - sorry to hear about it. Hope you recover fully)

2/26/09 2:29 PM
Mohammed

TTT

For those who have had similar injuries, how long did it take for you to get off crutches? and did you ever get your knee to 100%?
2/11/13 4:02 PM
Mohammed

its been almost 4 years.. cant believe it.. i started working with my brothers and now i have wife and a kid.. i was pretty depressed for about 2 years after my injury and i stopped working out and stopped playing basketball.
just recently starting to work out again. i'm only 26 so i can still play pro in some shit leagues but i'm more just into coaching and feeling the court again.
knee isn't 100% but if i put the work in this year i know i can get it back to 100. It is just weaker and less stable.
guys don't realize how hard it is to come back from a major injury mentaly and physically. Guys like Shogun have my utmost respect.

a message to those who have recently injured. Dont get depressed like I did. do your rehab and focus on the future. Life goes on. don't get stuck in the past.

TTT for injury stories
2/11/13 4:35 PM
voorhees

Mohammed - its been almost 4 years.. cant believe it.. i started working with my brothers and now i have wife and a kid.. i was pretty depressed for about 2 years after my injury and i stopped working out and stopped playing basketball.
just recently starting to work out again. i'm only 26 so i can still play pro in some shit leagues but i'm more just into coaching and feeling the court again.
knee isn't 100% but if i put the work in this year i know i can get it back to 100. It is just weaker and less stable.
guys don't realize how hard it is to come back from a major injury mentaly and physically. Guys like Shogun have my utmost respect.

a message to those who have recently injured. Dont get depressed like I did. do your rehab and focus on the future. Life goes on. don't get stuck in the past.

TTT for injury stories

Good to hear you are giving it another go.

Good for you man.

All the best.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.