UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Does this karate school look legit?

2/16/09 1:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
XJ3B
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey, I don't know much about what to look for when choosing a karate school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYg4w2dw_Q

here is a vid of two of the students sparring. How is their technique?

about the teacher:

In 1971, Miura placed 4th in the All-Japan Tournament. He then won the 1972 All-Japan Tournament. To win this championship, Miura defeated Howard Collins, Toshikazu Sato, and Joko Ninomiya.
Soon after, Sosai Mas Oyama, the founder and director of Kyokushin, asked Miura to participate in a "100-man kumite." Miura completed the kumite in a little over 3 hours on April 13, 1972.

After a short recovery time, Miura, at age 24, was sent to New York City to study under Soshu Shigeru Oyama, and then he was sent to Chicago, Illinois, to run the Chicago Kyokushinkai dojo. Miyuki Miura has taught at a dojo in the Chicago area since that time. In 1984, he began teaching karate under the World Oyama Karate Organization, an organization founded by Soshu Shigeru Oyama. His Chicago dojo also served as the midwest headquarters for the organization.

more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyuki_Miura

And how much should I be expecting to pay monthly
2/17/09 10:35 AM
Kolsyrade
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Miyuki Miura is VERY legit.
Originally a shotokan guy he took 2 dan at 17 years of age, then judo 1st dan at 17. At 18 he switched to kyokushin where he became a uchi dechi (full time student, literally living in the dojo) at the organization head dojo for 2 years.

As for instructor you cant really get a better karate instructor. He is bareknuckle knockdown karate of the old school.
4/2/09 5:43 PM
yusul
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kyokushin and it's offshoots are often considered the most effective of the karate arts for competitive fighting and self defense. if i was taking karate, they would be my first choice.
4/20/09 6:04 PM
Kirkor Papasian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looks great imo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.