UnderGround Forums

Pinoy UnderGround >> Anthony Bourdain GOES TO PHILIPPINES!!!!

2/16/09 2:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
1155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from pinoylife.com

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations goes to the Philippines

February 10, 2009 · Posted in Food, General, Links 

bourdain.jpg

Travel Channel host Anthony Bourdain

Big thanks to Pinoylifer Cire B for sending this one in.

The Travel Channel’s hit show Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is going to the Philippines!  Finally, in its 5th season, restauranteur/chef/culinary bad ass Anthony Bourdain explores the culture and cuisine of our beloved mother country.  I can’t wait to hear his no-holds-barred commentary on the unique foods of the Philippines.  I wonder if he’ll work in an Apocalypse Now reference. 

Here’s the Travel Channel website’s synopsis of the upcoming episode:

Tony visits the Philippines, the “Land of the Lechon.” He stops in Manila, which is a diverse combination of Spanish and Chinese cultures. Then he heads off to Pampanga to sample some of their rare delicacies.

Set your DVRs kids!

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Philippines
The Travel Channel
Monday, February 16, 2009
10pm Eastern (check your listings as some of you west coasters may get it at 7pm)

2/17/09 12:20 PM
FearMir
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was a great episode!  Tempting me to ruin my diet so badly!!!
2/17/09 7:53 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some sisig
2/18/09 4:47 PM
PTM2020
1155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

more from piinoylife

Anthony Bourdain hails lechon as the BEST PIG EVER!

February 17, 2009 · Posted in Food, General, Links 

IMG_3610.JPG
Anthony Bourdain and his buddies Augusto and Wilbur

Food blogs and Pinoy blogs are going Tony Bourdain crazy after his popular show Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations went to the Philippines.  The show finally aired and I have to say that as a Filipino American, I felt it was superbly done.

bourdain_umihi.jpg

2/18/09 4:47 PM
PTM2020

The Really Good

Every local guide that Anthony Bourdain and his staff found in the Philippines was intelligent, well spoken, and provided an accurate perspective of the Philippines that was familiar and true to what Filipinos all over the world have come to love about our culinary heritage. From the open markets in Manila to the kambing and sisig in Pampanga, Bourdain did our homeland justice by showing viewers the jewels of our comfort food in the commoner’s environment. 

Anthony Bourdain could have easily just gone to Manila and done a 20 minute segment dedicated to Philippine nightlife but, as all of us that have been to the Philippines can attest, the real beauty of the motherland isn’t found in a congested, shopping mall saturated area.  The television crew brilliantly captured the heart of a people by showing how Filipinos come together as family and friends to enjoy life over local delicacies made with fresh ingredients from an open food market, drizzled with kalamansi, and chased down with a San Miguel.

When the locals talked about the food Filipinos enjoyed, not only did you feel the sense of pride they had in our dishes but somewhere in their spoken words was the story of the Philippines.  The mesh of various cultures put together in a big cauldron of stew with a side of mixed vegetables that were savory and bitter is simply symbolic of a people and culture that has endured so much. 

The best surprise of the show was the recurring question that Bourdain posed to every person he encountered… “Who are the Filipinos?”  As much as that question has spawned countless discussions on Pinoylife and Filipino American Experience classes in universities all over the United States, I wasn’t expecting this to be a topic of conversation on an American produced Food/Travel show.  The fact that Bourdain even brought up that question is what made this episode more historic in the realm of Filipino identity in America. 

Augusto, the Filipino American whose video letter to Bourdain was the impetus for the show going to the Philippines, provided the perspective that the majority of us Pinoy statesiders have felt for our entire lives.  We are not completely one or the other.  We love our Filipino heritage but when we go back to the Philippines, some of us aren’t completely accepted as Filipinos because we either don’t speak Tagalog or we didn’t grow up in the Philippines.  And even though we live in America and grew up in American society, sometimes America overlooks us and doesn’t completely embrace us either.  Pinoys can go on and on about this topic but it was great that the producers of the show felt that the discussion about this dual identity was worthy of being included in the final cut of the episode. 

The Not So Good

When Tony Bourdian arrived in Cebu, he was greeted by people giving him a wooden necklace that said Cebu.  When did people start giving out wooden necklaces as a greeting in the Philippines? How come when I arrived in Boracay last March, all I was greeted with was some dude with a dry erase board that had my name spelled wrong?  I swear, the day I go to Cebu I better get a fricken wooden necklace or there will be hell to pay.

As for Augusto, I wanted to take a fricken razor and some electric clippers and shave his head and facial hair. Good God man, what the hell! Augusto, you live in New York.  A place filled with style salons and very qualified barbershops and that’s the look you go with?  I mean, I know you want to get back in touch with your Filipino roots but dude, did you need to look to pictures of the Dogtown Igorots from the St. Louis world’s fair in 1904 for hairstyle suggestions?  And what the hell is up with that 1970s Pinoy action star facial hair?!?!

If you don’t believe me, check this out:

Take the haircut of an igorot from the Igorot Village at the 1904 St. Louis world’s fair
igorot_village.jpg

Combine it with the ’stache of 70s Philippines action star Roland Dantes
roland_dantes2.jpg

And here’s what you get
augusto2.jpg
AUGUSTO!

Ok, ok, I’m just messing around. You’re a great guy Augusto.  If you ever come to L.A., the Pinoylifers and I would like to take you out for beers and various deep fried pork dishes. Thanks for making this one happen and thank you for not making Pinoys look like complete ‘tards on national television.

In all seriousness, the only real downer about the episode is that they only had one hour to work with and there’s so much more that could have been shown. Desserts and pastries, fine dining in the major cities, breakfasts, cock fights, nightlife, beautiful beaches and resorts, and the list goes on. But what they did end up showing made for a great hour of t.v. viewing.

The Ultimate

The last segment of the show had Anthony Bourdain going to Cebu for some good ‘ol Filipino pig done lechon style.  We’re talking manual rotisserie baboy with the crispy skin and the whole nine. His verdict will go down in infamy…

“BEST PIG EVER!” - Anthony Bourdain

bourdain_lechon.jpg

2/18/09 7:15 PM
khd29

lol, PTM.
Why infamy?

That's a good looking pig.
2/19/09 6:23 AM
PTM2020

Edited: 02/19/09 6:23 AM
 http://pinoylife.com/wp-content/gallery/bourdain/bourdain_umihi.jpg

BWHWHAHAHAHAH  @ Bawal Umihi Dito!!!!!

2/19/09 8:18 AM
EKPOGI
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i try to piss on walls that says that.
2/19/09 10:01 PM
El_Varaco
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lechon cebu rocks like no other

my uncles in Portland roasted one in their backyard, they dug a pit and roasted the pig there, pretty soon they had everyone in the neighborhood trying to see what was going on.

i try to piss on walls that says that.

there's one in my neighborhood that says "Bawal Ihi, Putol Titi"

I never risked pissing on that wall
2/20/09 3:44 AM
EKPOGI
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wouldnt either..

or "Bawal Umihi Dito,Multa 1000"
2/22/09 3:16 PM
hackett
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really quite an honor for Bourdain to say that about lechon. He's been just about everywhere and had just about everything.

He went nuts for the roasted pig in the Puerto Rico show but you get the feeling this really blew him away.

Cool stuff. I've always like Filipino food but this was an eye opener for me. I guess it was really cool seeing this food prepared with such vibrantly fresh ingredients.

I never realized it but I'm actually used to seeing stuff like smoked fish which came out of a little Pinoy market's freezer section... good simple food but nothing that really moved me. This looks like a completely different animal.

TH
2/28/09 8:04 PM
Sonester Sambo

my uncle built a cabin with a manual rotisserie just for lechon back in the day
2/28/09 11:30 PM
Quik
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Gear, Graphic Designer
i winced when the filipino food expert that Tony was hanging with didn't mention vinegar as a main ingredient in adobo...wtf??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.