UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Back from Indonesia....

2/17/09 8:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/09 9:36 AM

Last week, I flew out from San Fransisco, headed to Jakarta. The flight to Asia is long and had a layover for couple hours in my home country of Taiwan. I was just in the airport for a couple hours, however, just with what I saw there, I noticed a very big change which was a strong emphasis on the environment. Within the airport there was a lot of showcasing of the plant and animal life in Taiwan. In addition, I noticed that all the paper in the bathrooms were from recycled paper and there were many recycling bins.

I was a bit suprised by all of this because I remember Taiwan was being very dirty and just horrible when it comes to taking care of the environment. I don't know if that was all just public relations or if Taiwan has going through some real changes. I'm hoping they are going through real changes.

When I got to Jakarta, Indonesia, the first thing that struck me was how freakin' hot and humid it was. When I left San Fransisco, the temp was in the 40's. Jakarta was in the 80's. It amazed me how the employees at the hotel could weak black suits in 80 degree weather. I would look at them and they were'n't even sweating. I was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and I was sweating. I come back to 48 degree weather and am told that temp would like kill an Indonesian.

Indonesia had changed a lot since I last went there over 10 years ago. I remember when I went there is the past, travelers had to pay off people who worked at the airport in order not to get harrassed and the payoffs were done out in the open. My student, Martin Hartono, assured me that the country was different now and that I didn't need to pay people off at the airport anymore.

By the way, I noticed that the airport security in Taiwan and Indonesia is a lot more laid back than the US. Personaly, I felt that security was the most annoying and rigid when I traveled through Europe. Though security was relaxed, there was a lot of it. At the hotel I stayed in, there was security that would check your car as you drove up and security that would check you before you walked into the hotel.

The funny thing is how this security was just for show. There were times in which I would walk through the metal detector, it would beep, and they would just let me go right through. There was even one time, they put my bag through an x-ray machine and I realized that were was no one looking at the monitor of the x-ray machine.
2/17/09 8:32 AM
Bolo

Both with the hotel and Martin's house, I was in awe of how clean it was. Labor is cheap over there, so they have people cleaning all the time. I felt like I could eat off the floors; that's how clean it was.

After checking in, I got right to teaching. I taught a heck of lot of private lesson hours while I was there. It was just a cycle of teaching for a couple hours, rest for couple hours, teach for a couple hours, rest for a couple hours, etc.... The constant teaching did help decrease the effect of jetlag. I never felt sleepy from the jetlag, just extremely fatigued.

Between lessons, I would squeeze in time to go for a swim at the hotel pool. It was raining on and off while I was there, so I didn' see anyone using the pool besides me. It as in the 80's so it felt fine to swim.

I really enjoyed sharing my new approach to BJJ with the students. All this stuff about posture alignment, physics, and biomechanics was very eye opening for them. What was funny was how they were surprised that I would teach them how to thing which they were once told never to do.
2/17/09 9:01 AM
Bolo

Edited: 02/17/09 9:02 AM
I was pleased to see that the skill level of the practitioners in Indonesia was pretty good. It not only showed the teaching ability of the instructors over there, but also their commitment to either travel to the US or bring instructors over there in order to keep up to speed with the BJJ world.

One thing that happened while I was teaching provided a great opportunity to explain something about systems. There were 2 student had to trouble doing a particular movement when I was showing them how to escape the mount. With one of the student, I spent 30 minutes with him trying to problem solve why he couldn't move the way that I wanted. After 30 minutes, we figured out what the problem was and he was able to do it. There was another student who had a similar problem and I spent about as much time trying to figure out why he was unable to do move the way that I wanted. This second student began to show his frustration and would complain about how his partner was too heavy on him. Eventually, we figured out the problem and he was able to do the escape just fine.

I told the the group that this was a good example of why some people are good systems and why most are not. I told them that had I not been there to work on the problem until it was fixed, I knew that the students would have given up on trying to solve the problem much earlier on, especially the second guy.

Though I am on a raw food diet, I made sure to try some Indonesian cuisine. Since I don't eat spicy stuff, I just had to make sure I stayed away from that. The food there was delicious. It was also refreshing to see a food court in the mall which had more Asian restaurants that American restaurants. I ate Indonesian food a couple time, however, most of the time, I ate my raw food diet. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to maintain my diet over there. It was much harder to maintain this kind of diet when I was in Slovakia.
2/17/09 9:22 AM
Bolo

Edited: 02/17/09 9:25 AM
Some of you may recall that I got my knee popped sideways when training BJJ last March. I had been using my MBF posture therapy to fix the problem and recovery had been going well. Unfortunately, last Dec., I took my wife to go rollerskating for her birthday. I had not done that for over 20 years. After skating for over a hour, I got cocky and started to skate faster. Then as luck would have it, I fell and slammed my knee into ground. My knee swoll up and I had to practically start over with my recovery. So I had been working hard using MBF to fix my knee again. By the way, I felt that getting the NUCCA chiro adjustment also really helped my knee because when my C1 would come out of place, the muscle imbalance it caused would make my knee feel odd discomfort.

Anyway, though my knee had recovered well, something still felt not quite right. I could jog several miles on concrete, run sprints, rock climb, etc... but something didn't feel right in my knee. So when I was in Indonesia, I recall that Roy Harris has been there a couple years ago and a "healer" had fixed his knee. Though my knee problem was nowhere close as bad as Roy's situation, I asked Martin about this guy. I'm always open to try something knew and to see what else out there works.

When I explained my situation, he looked at my leg and said that my shin bone was slightly misaligned in relation to my knee. So he massage around my ankle, lower leg, and thigh to loosen up the tendons and muscles around my knee. Some of the massaging he did was painful as hell. He then had me lay on my stomach, put his thumb on a spot on the back of my knee(as if he was trying to push my shin bone forward) and pushed my heel towards my butt at the same time. He did this a couple times, each time pushing his thumb in a slightly different spot. That hurt like hell. He said that the shin was adjusted back into place, though I didn't feel anything besides the pain of his thumb pushing.

Though I was sore in the back of knee on a spot he had pushed on, I was pleasantly surprised that my knee actually felt better. He told me to keep doing the exercises that I was doing, but now that my shin was in place, recovery should go faster. Once again, the best forms of therapy for every injury I have gotten have never come from a medical doctor. I tried to pay this "healer" but he actually declined the money!
2/17/09 9:35 AM
Bolo

I took me a week for my body to slowly begin to get over the fatigue from the jetlag. As soon as my body began to adjust, I had to head back to the US. I find jetlag to be worse when I come back to the US. I woke up at 3:30am and could not fall back asleep.

Anyway, despite the fatigue, I really enjoyed my trip and the first class treatment. I dumped a lot of info into Martin's head, so heopfully he and his students can remember it all. I look forward to go back next year.
2/17/09 5:45 PM
m.g
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was the healer a native of Indonesia?
2/17/09 6:19 PM
Bolo

He was Indonesian as he did not speak English. I heard he learn it from some kung fu instructor.
2/19/09 1:46 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet adventure. Hey, are you going to continue your online articles?
2/19/09 4:37 PM
Bolo

I'll be putting up Part 3 in a little while and then I also have Part 4 following that. I don't have plans off the top of my head to do more at the moment.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.