UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Good wines for little $$ ??

2/17/09 3:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys I am really starting to get into wine, learning as much as I can.

Id love to try as many as I can to expand my palate.

If you have any wines---white or red --- that you think are solid to try please list them.

Im looking for bottles that are under $15 since I want to try as many as I can and on a fixed budget.

Thanks for any help.
2/18/09 7:26 AM
Pito Chueco
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite cheap wine is Rex Goliath Cabernet. It has a big rooster on the bottle. Sold around these parts for $5.99 to 6.99. Better than most $$ wines.
2/18/09 12:46 PM
Mullet @ Heart
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite wine (regardless of price) is 7 Deadly Zins. It's right around $15.
2/18/09 2:25 PM
vengence
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks guys

i have one I enjoy a great deal called Hey Mambo!
2/18/09 2:35 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard that Two Buck Chuck is pretty good for the price.

I'm serious.
2/21/09 4:43 AM
junon
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what ive been doing is going to the supermarket and buying the wines that have member discounts.

ive bought wines that were marked down as much as $15.

end up paying in the $9-$12 range.
2/24/09 9:42 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two words: Gary Vaynerchuk

Watch his videos.  The guy knows his shit, makes it fun and isn't afraid of tackling the low cost stuff. 
2/25/09 5:43 AM
junon
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive been addicted to Wine Library TV.

they have some cool shirts.
2/27/09 1:29 PM
canuck34
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rodney Strong.
2/28/09 9:07 AM
junon

btw. how long do you guys decant your reds?
2/28/09 11:48 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A minute or two, swirled in the decanter.  If I have extra time, I'll let it settle for 15+ min as well. 
2/28/09 6:27 PM
Alder Hiss
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O'terra, from the Languedoc. 12.50 up here in Quebec, but we get gouged like motherfuckers.
2/28/09 9:19 PM
chadk
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alamos (brand) Malbec (type). About $10 a bottle.
3/1/09 4:13 AM
junon

alpo - A minute or two, swirled in the decanter.  If I have extra time, I'll let it settle for 15+ min as well. 

really? that short?

1 hour minimum for me.

i just decanted a bottle of shiraz for 20 hours and it smoothed it out real nice.
3/2/09 2:16 AM
FCTV808
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheap way to decant is directly in the glass. 45min to 1hr so just let the good stuff sit a while in the glass while you dabble w/ some of the other "lesser" wines. come back to the good one after. plan your courses based on that too.

vengence, if you're on a budget, a good way to do this is start a small tasting group w/ your friends, you split the cost of a more expensive bottle. it works.
3/2/09 5:26 PM
Kirkor Papasian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not all wines should be decanted. You should drink some right away. It depends on the wine, and i guess a little personal preference.
3/3/09 4:41 PM
vengence

FCTV808 - cheap way to decant is directly in the glass. 45min to 1hr so just let the good stuff sit a while in the glass while you dabble w/ some of the other "lesser" wines. come back to the good one after. plan your courses based on that too.

vengence, if you're on a budget, a good way to do this is start a small tasting group w/ your friends, you split the cost of a more expensive bottle. it works.

thats exactly what ive done. lol Now i dont feel like such a rookie. I am all ears on learning though.

my buddy is a sommelier and has been helping me out also
3/3/09 5:07 PM
chadk
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I have this list that I pulled from a magazine a year or so ago. It's all wines that some "expert" selected based on one requirement... that they cost less than $12 a bottle. I've not tried them all but everything I've been able to find, I have enjoyed. A couple of my wine drinking friends have copied this list and love it too. You better appreciate this lol... lots of typing to follow. The list goes from heaviest to lightest, brand name, country of origin, type of wine:

1) Chateau Pesquie Cotes Du Ventoux Les Terrasses 2004, France, Grenache/Syrah

2) Mano A Mano 2005, Spain, Tempranillo

3) Altesino Rossi Di Altesino 2004, Italy, Sangiovese/merlot/cabernet

4) Ercavio Tempranillo Roble 2005, Spain

5) Chateau Guillaumette 2003, France,

6) Lockhart Merlot 2005, California

7) Navarrita Merlot 2005, Argentina

8) Laura Hartwig Chardonnay Reserve 2005, Chile

9) Domaine Sainte Barbe Macon 2005, France, white burgundy

10) I Fuedi Di Romans Pinot Grigio, Italy

11) Pillar Box White 2006, Australia, chardonnay/sauvignon blanc/verdelho

12)1+1=3 Cava Brut, Spain, "champaign"
3/3/09 6:23 PM
vengence

great!

i will get to looking for these wines

thanks a ton
3/3/09 7:14 PM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wildass!

Well I don't know really, I'm not a wine drinker but I got a bottle of Wildass Red Wine for Christmas and it's now my favorite because of the cool name.

I'll let you know if it's any good if I ever decide to open it!
3/15/09 5:09 AM
junon

chadk - So I have this list that I pulled from a magazine a year or so ago. It's all wines that some "expert" selected based on one requirement... that they cost less than $12 a bottle. I've not tried them all but everything I've been able to find, I have enjoyed. A couple of my wine drinking friends have copied this list and love it too. You better appreciate this lol... lots of typing to follow. The list goes from heaviest to lightest, brand name, country of origin, type of wine:

1) Chateau Pesquie Cotes Du Ventoux Les Terrasses 2004, France, Grenache/Syrah

2) Mano A Mano 2005, Spain, Tempranillo

3) Altesino Rossi Di Altesino 2004, Italy, Sangiovese/merlot/cabernet

4) Ercavio Tempranillo Roble 2005, Spain

5) Chateau Guillaumette 2003, France,

6) Lockhart Merlot 2005, California

7) Navarrita Merlot 2005, Argentina

8) Laura Hartwig Chardonnay Reserve 2005, Chile

9) Domaine Sainte Barbe Macon 2005, France, white burgundy

10) I Fuedi Di Romans Pinot Grigio, Italy

11) Pillar Box White 2006, Australia, chardonnay/sauvignon blanc/verdelho

12)1+1=3 Cava Brut, Spain, "champaign"

does the "expert" specifically say those vintages and only those?
3/15/09 12:06 PM
chadk

Junon, I just copied the list as it was written, minus the lengthy descriptions of the individual wines. I'm guessing that these wines are probably pretty solid, regardless of the year, even if some crops stand out over others year to year.

I dont have a scanner or I'd gladly scan and email any of you a copy of this list. I got it out of Men's Health fyi. Maybe you can find it online. Or, I will copy and ground mail it to the first person who PM's me here, if they agree to scan and email it to any other forum brothers who'd like it.
3/19/09 1:36 PM
vengence

tt thanks guys.

i gotta get through my fight sat

then i can drink again
3/23/09 3:54 AM
junon

howd it go vengence?
3/29/09 1:40 AM
chadk

Have you found anything I listed yet? What did you think?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.