UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Buying a new bike

2/17/09 7:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chainbelt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking to buy my next bike,and at the front of the list is a '08 SV650, and several dealers nearby have them, but they still quote at MFSR. These bikes have been sitting around for a year, yet they still don't drop in price.

The best deals on new bikes are on Ebay but they are usually far away...another bike on my list to get if I can't get an SV would be a CBR.

So why do dealers several hundred miles away post auctions at 1k to 2 price difference but local guys insist on full price...I have'nt really tried to haggle these guys, starting at full price point kind of puts me off trying, and maybe I should just go with a used and save $, I don't know.

Thanks for any advice.
2/18/09 10:11 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even in the best of times buying a used bike is *THE* way to go. New bikes drop in value so fast its ridiculous. I did the same thing you're thinking of and bought a brand new last year's '06 model. Paid $5900. I rode it for a year, put 11k miles on it and then got bored as I tend to do with all bikes. I sold it for $3750. Talk about devaluation....

With the economic downturn there are just INSANE deals in the used market right now. 4-5k will get you any lightly used 600 you want.

If you insist on buying new, why not get someone to drive you to the out of town dealers? A coule hundred miles of breakin riding sounds good to me.
2/18/09 1:25 PM
Chainbelt

after mulling a bit more i did decide to look for a good used deal, just thought it would be nice to get new for once.

you could get 2 good used for the price of new.
7/6/09 2:15 PM
Atecexa

you can get a brand new 07-08 UM/Hyo 650 for about $3500

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.