UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Shelter, Fire, Water, Food

2/18/09 1:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pecker
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that your order in the woods? That's what I learned as a Boy Scout. Build/find shelter first. Gather supplies for a fire. Make sure you know where water is (sometimes this is first, depending on the weather and where to build shelter). Then secure food.

Water is important, but if it's raining/snowing you need to get out of the rain/snow first, and you can gather water easily. In cold weather or warm (without rain or snow) find water, then gauge where to build your shelter. Then fire, then food.

What is your opinion and why?
2/19/09 12:22 AM
CptCrunch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMHO it all depends on the climate.

Water is vitally important if you have none and are sweating. Maybe even consider finding a water source first and building a shelter near it. Often where there is a water source, there will be animals (fish, shellfish, land animals) for a food source and vegetation to help you build a shelter.

All depends on the area. Here in Ohio in the late spring, summer and early fall, I would look for water and the rest as I stated above would take care of itself. However in the late fall, winter and early spring, shelter is by far my first priority. Fire and water would be a close 2-3 with fire winning out to since the temps can get bitterly cold and you can melt snow.
2/19/09 12:22 PM
kanotoa
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in Hawaii and I think you could survive without a fire. Water is pretty easy to find though finding water that won't make you sick might be harder. Food is pretty abundant too.

If you were in the desert i think your order would be correct though.
2/24/09 6:59 PM
gregbrady
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Water is by far the most important in hot climates and shelter in cold.
3/28/09 11:41 PM
crobrun
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rules of 3

3 min without air
3 hrs without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food.

if you think based on that (with adaptability - I'll probably be ok longer without shelter in NC during spring/summer than in N. Dakota in winter), then you will have a better chance of survival. If you plan your BOB or whatever based on that, same result.
3/30/09 2:34 AM
Cha0s008
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those look about right except 3 hours without a shelter.

Unless it's 200 degrees or snowing 3 ft. per hour I think you could last a tad longer than that.
3/30/09 9:20 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

123survive.com 

No even if it’s 40 degrees , if it’s raining and you are soaked, you may start to go into hyperthermia. Your body temp can drop 100 times faster when you are wet. the rule of 3’s get’s you started but now add in the rule of 5’s, and # 2
here  “convection” is a concern..

123survive.com

3/30/09 1:29 PM
Cha0s008
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it would depend on how much clothing you have on too.

I have sat out numerous times hunting for 8+ hours when it was colder than 40 and raining and I did just fine.

Now if you were in a t-shirt I can see what your saying.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.