UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Good Eats Recipes You've Tried?

2/18/09 12:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the recent talk of how horrible some of AB's recipes are, I thought it would be a good idea to share what you've made of his, and how it was... Both good and bad.

I've only tried two of his recipes, and both were delicious.

Curried Split Pea Soup

Tomato Sauce (I've changed this one up quite a bit, but it's one of my regulars)
2/18/09 5:21 PM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/09 5:21 PM
his anti-sauce for pasta.

other than that i usually just use either his technique or bits and peices of his recipes.

OH and his wings!
2/18/09 9:23 PM
crescentwrench
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/09 9:24 PM
 Tomato sauce is the shit!  I too have tweaked it but the original is great.

Holy shit, it might be a shorter list of ones I haven't tested out at least once.  But, like Mike, it's usually just techniques that stick.  Just off the top of my head....

The Good
I did his method on braciole (with that sauce) over Christmas and it was a huge hit.

His brownies are really good too.  

If I make his steak au poivre I get lay-ed.  Just be sure to triple the ingredients in the sauce, the recipe doesn't make nearly enough.

Meatloaf is pretty good, you'll likely modify after your first try.

Baked macaroni and cheese is good

The BBQ rub ratio is decent, it's a little on the salty side though.

I love the cornbread pudding, wife doesn't.  She doesn't like any moist bready concoctions except dressing.  

I take that back, we both like his french toast too.  I just have to cook it longer for her.  I have since modified my technique though and dry the bread in the oven instead of leaving it out overnight and only use egg yolks in the batter (Thanks America's Test Kitchen!)

I like his pancake mix too.  It's easy to throw together and better than Bisquick imo.

The Bad
Pinwheel cookies are a complete disaster.  

His chili made me sad.  I just don't think he's got a Southwest kind of palatte.  But then again I'm an eliteist about chili too.  I'm sure he'd shit when he saw me putting sugar in grits.  

Never sharpen your own knives?  Whaaaaa?  

Techniques
I still do steaks inside the way he showed on episode 1.  Thin ones anyway.  Thick ones I reverse it, I slowly cook bring them up to temperature in the oven and then finish them in a hot pan (Thanks again America's Test Kitchen!)

Skirt steak goes directly on top of freshly blown lump charcoals.  As do other meats.  It's a great technique and a good conversation starter.

I always salt cabbage for slaw, cucumbers for salad, tomatoes for stuffing, etc for a few hours to wick out excess moisture and ensure my dressing won't get watery and the veggies stay nice and crisp.

Brining, duh

Turkey frying involves a pulley.

Putting a grill grate directly on top of a roaring charcoal chimney for nuclear hot searing (tuna episode)

Get your kitchen torch from Lowe's, not BloodBath and Beyond.

There's more but I have to clean shit off of a ballsack.  I weighed one of his grunts and it was 3% of his bodyweight.  This kid can shit so much it's the equivalent of me taking a 7 pound dump.  

2/19/09 1:42 AM
Mullet @ Heart
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ohhhhh yeah. The meatloaf. Love the technique and glaze. Changed up the loaf, though.
2/19/09 9:37 AM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ cw

never did the meatloaf, maybe i'll give it a try this weekend.
2/20/09 2:37 PM
Extendo
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ cresentwrench!
2/20/09 9:17 PM
Worth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alton Brown graduated Johnson & Wales culinary school in Rhode Island. I believe he has a 2 year degree.

I've take some of his recipes and have tweaked them. I don't remember which ones I've tried but I did use his meatloaf recipe and changed it just slightly and it was good.
2/21/09 3:28 PM
hackett
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I've taken ideas from him a lot. His show and the good eats fan page have been a nice help to me, along the lines of just getting to think about new approaches...

His recipes which I clearly remember following to the letter are his broiled sirloin steak, which turned out really nice, and his pan fried fish in a lemon & caper sauce, which was awesome. I've messed with it a bit, combined it with an Irish recipe which uses oatmeal as a coating to pan-fry, and it turned out really nice too.

That reminds me, his corned beef hash for the day after St Patrick's Day is easy & AWESOME.

TH
2/24/09 9:48 PM
Jacob Lamb
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How did you guys change the meatloaf recipe?

I made it the other day and it was TERRIBLE!

Also tried making his pizza dough one time and it didn't work out.
2/24/09 10:33 PM
crescentwrench
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/24/09 10:44 PM
What was awful about it.

I toned down the croutons to about 3/4 and used regular croutons instead of garlic flavored, it already has 3 cloves.  And the vegetables for stuff like this is always just what I have on hand and feel like chopping.  

The glaze is really where meatloaf makes or breaks I think.  I don't know what I do, I just keep tasting it until it's good.  

I've seen stuff online about his pizza dough, something about the salt content being off.   

More recipes, good

Mac and cheese toast - good the next day for baked macaroni and cheese

Macerated strawberries - Who'da thunk pepper would be good in that?

One I'm going to try is avocado buttercream frosting.  I can't believe I missed that one.  

More on technique

I guess he really didn't invent it, but I use his method and equipment for pickling and preserving.  I made blackberry jam according to his recipe and it turned out well.  I pickled carrots and they were aight.  I finagled it a bit and liked it better.  
2/25/09 12:58 AM
Jacob Lamb
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The meatloaf was more like bread and vegetable loaf or something. I think maybe half the croutons would make it better...?

The pizza dough was just a sticky mess. I kept adding flour, but it never worked out right. I saw online that a lot of people had the same problem.

Every other Alton Brown recipe I've tried has been great.

His chocolate chip cookies are awesome. I like the thin ones best.

Everybody who tried his turkey I made, said it was the best turkey they'd ever had.
2/25/09 3:15 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Oh shit.... The turkey... Best turkey eva.
2/26/09 12:16 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Anyone else seen pink dark meat with Alton's turkey method?
2/26/09 9:50 AM
dennisv
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did the seared tuna, it was really good. Haven't tried any others.
2/26/09 1:44 PM
crescentwrench

Mullet @ Heart - Anyone else seen pink dark meat with Alton's turkey method?

Yup, freaked me the hell out to where I stabbed its whole lower body with my probe getting temps.  But they all checked out.  The juice also wasn't exactly flowing clear either.  But it also did the same thing when my grandmother thought it was a good idea to bump up the oven temperature and by the time I pulled the bird it was registering 205F.  

Since then I have just assumed that it's like pork, butt and ribs are still pink when they're done too.  
3/10/09 1:13 AM
sabrutat

"I have since modified my technique though and dry the bread in the oven instead of leaving it out overnight and only use egg yolks in the batter (Thanks America's Test Kitchen!)"

Oh, I gotta try that!

Cheers

Stef
3/13/09 4:27 PM
JoshMitola
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried the biscuits and gravy and it came out perfect.
8/11/09 7:59 PM
cumprido1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used his granola recipe 2 days ago. It's not really cooking, but it tasted pretty good.
8/17/09 2:20 PM
goku

his guac recipe is pretty damn good...and easy too
8/17/09 9:43 PM
Mit

My wife made the Brined Turkey it was great.
9/7/09 10:15 AM
dendawg
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filet mignon episode had pepper steak flambee recipe. Did it and it was delish.
12/21/09 11:07 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Baked Mac-n-Cheese is awesome if you make it your own.
12/22/09 3:14 PM
machinemg

I'm doing his ham crust/glaze for Christmas dinner.

Will report my findings.

I went overboard and purchased a whole ham (both ends still intact), measuring around 24 pounds. I'll probably cut it in half with a hacksaw and cook the shank end, freezing the rest for use at a later time.
1/15/10 11:05 AM
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HardHittingHeeb - Baked Mac-n-Cheese is awesome if you make it your own.

I've done a similar thing on the grill oddly enough ..... indirect heating so basically the same thing but it was nice because I did a beer can chicken at the same time (no beer but added apple cider as the liquid)

Enjoy
1/15/10 11:13 AM
HardHittingHeeb

Made his Leek/Potato soup last night. Going to have a bowl now with crumbled bacon.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.