UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Question for Marines

2/18/09 4:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FlashGordon2002
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm reading Joseph Owen's "Colder Than Hell" which is about his experiences fighting in the Korean War during the Chosin Reservoir Campaign.

He mentions that a lot of the Marines in his platoon were reservists and SOME HAD NOT EVEN BEEN THROUGH BOOT CAMP.

When I read this, I was really confused.

How is this possible? Don't you go to boot camp when you enlist in the reserves?
3/4/09 1:45 AM
jfrank
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reserves go through Boot Camp, SOI/ Marine Combat Training, and MOS training just like active duty.
3/4/09 9:07 AM
FlashGordon2002
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what I thought.

Is it possible that things were different back then? That due to the "emergency" of the Korean War, that guys who had just signed on as reservists were shoved into units about to be deployed before boot camp? The book I mentioned that the armed forces had gone through a massive demobilization post-WWII so were seriously understrength and unprepared for the war. Plus, noone knew what the Soviets were up to and there was a bit of fear that this was the start of WWIII.

The book does mention that many reservists didn't even go through boot camp before they were assigned to units that were to be shipped to Korea and thus, didn't even know how to properly address officers and didn't know that they were supposed to salute, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.