UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Artisan Bread in Five Minutes

2/20/09 9:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else tried this? It's like a supercharged version of the "no knead" bread recipe that was so popular last year.

Check out the videos on this page to get a feel for the basic recipe:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?page_id=63

I watched the top video once and made the dough that afternoon, then I baked a loaf for dinner. Score! Everyone was raving about the bread and it really was restaurant quality.....I can't believe how easy it is to make awesome bread with basically no work.

Now I pull off little bits to make single-serving buns, fresh english muffins, pizzas, dinner rolls.

It's definitely worth it to watch one of the five minute videos.
2/24/09 9:45 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFD

just kidding.  I will try this in a couple days.
3/14/09 10:01 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tried "Simple Crusty Bread" tonight. Not bad for my first attempt at making bread.
3/27/09 10:40 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I picked up this book from library this afternoon... I'll let you know what I think.
4/5/09 1:23 AM
westernwarrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to hear more about this book.
4/16/09 9:43 PM
Kevin Curtis

Edited: 04/16/09 9:43 PM
The beginning of the book explains the process, ingredients, equipment, and gives some tips on making and solving problems that you might encounter. They then give you the master recipe, which many of the other bread recipes are based on...I read the first 25 pages, and made the master recipe (artisan free-form loaf)... turned out good. I refrigerated the remaining dough and subsequently have made a couple baguettes, my favorite so far... and I have one more batch of dough left in the fridge.The remainder of the book is recipes... I want to try the rye bread, bagels, pretzels and flat-breads.The book is due back to the library tomorrow... I thought about transcribing some of the recipes, or just xeroxing them... but instead I just spent the $20 to order the book from Amazon.
4/21/09 10:53 AM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuffin better than fresh warm pita bread whenever you want it.

Next experiment: 100% whole-grain breads.
6/11/09 12:00 AM
biglove1973
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.