UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Figured I'd make myself useful (Golf tips)

2/22/09 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GolfBaller
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those who don't know, I'm PGA Professional from Alabama. I've become convinced this forum might have the least traffic of any on the site but, I figured some golf advice for the guys who come here from time to time might be of some use. (Sharks like AC & BK excluded)

Something interesting I learned from talks with Hank Johnson (Golf Digest Top 50 Instructor) recently: take a pen and sign your name on a piece of paper as you would on a check. Once you have finished this, read on to the next part.

After you have signed your name, attempt to duplicate the signature EXACTLY just beneath where you initially signed (this means same size, same angles, loops, etc). Once you have finished, read on.

Take a look at the two signatures. You will notice that your second signature does not match the first. As a whole, it may be very close but there will be subtle differences.

The point is this: the first signature you were engaged in a right brain activity. You simply thought about the "whole" and engaged in very little analytical thinking. On the second signature however, you were breaking down the signature into individual parts, analyzing piece by piece, and trying to manipulate your movements intentionally: all left brain activity.

The golf swing is a right brain activity. No one, ever, over the course of any period of time can consistently swing and execute shots well attempting to "get into position." So while you may have to conciously dictate a movement in your swing while practicing, reserve these type of thoughts for the RANGE ONLY. Once you get to the course, you will have a much better chance of success by focusing only on your target and allowing yourself to swing freely, unimpeded by left-brain thoughts.
2/23/09 10:32 AM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'll help too.  here's something to help you get more consistent and your bad shots get better.

when i'm giving a course management lesson, this is what i'll do usually on the first lesson.  hit three shots off the tee.  pick the worst of those 3 to play next.  hit 3 shots from that spot.  pick the worst for the next shot.  rinse and repeat until the ball is in the hole.
6/2/09 6:07 PM
SD CARTEL
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff
6/2/09 8:25 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you've probably heard of moe norman, but for those who haven't, google him.

freakin amazing what he could do.
6/2/09 8:26 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and btw, thx for the tip, i'll give it a shot next time.
6/8/09 2:58 PM
Animal Chin
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's really only good for a few holes. it would take about 6 hours to do it on 18.

if you're playing by yourself and get a few holes ahead, give it a shot.
8/4/09 11:05 PM
SlyGuy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zen Golf talks about the same thing. He uses the analogy of trying to trace your signature, so he probably stole it from Zen Golf :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.