UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Ever met a crazy man in the boonies?

2/25/09 2:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was hiking to Kalalau valley after we had a really bad Katrina like hurricane. I met a few interesting people that lived in the remote valleys. They didn't mess with me but there was one crazy bastard that used to terrorize people with a machete. He even ambushed a guy and tried to decapitate him, if his machete hadn't got caught in a guava branch the man would be dead.

We cannot legally carry a gun unless it is hunting season in that area. I did buy something neat though, it is a small machete I got to clear bush when riding my dirt bike. The cool thing about it is that it has a hollow metal handle that allows it to be used as a spear. I am not trained in knife fighting so I would rather have a spear against a crazy, machete wielding guy.
2/25/09 2:14 PM
kanotoa
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/25/09 2:29 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've run into a bunch of people hiking that I didn't trust. The worst ones seem to be around hot springs. Needless to say, my heat is never far away when I'm out & about in the wilderness.
2/25/09 3:03 PM
kanotoa

Leroy Jenkins?
2/25/09 9:57 PM
gregbrady
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too far away from help out in the wilderness to be unarmed imo. I hiked the Na Pali coast trail 4 years ago and it was absolutely beautiful. Lots of folks on the trail though. It wasn't real isolated compared to the wilderness here in CO at least.
2/26/09 10:21 AM
banjohaze
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you should see the looks on some peoples faces when I'm practicing my banjo up in the Blueridge way back off the trails. I like to hike up this mt called upper hawks bill and there are some great cliffs you can sit on.

It's windy up there so people can't hear it till they are almost on you and they you hit um with the Ringa ding ding ding ding ding ding ding I'm surprised I haven't been shot yet.

After the innitial shock wears off people are generally pretty cool, I've made some good friends that way.
2/26/09 1:07 PM
Possible Human

"We cannot legally carry a gun unless it is hunting season in that area."

Is it a national park or national forest?

I luckily haven't met any crazy people on trails or back country.
2/26/09 1:24 PM
kanotoa

2/26/09 2:27 PM
banjohaze
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

re-deliverance

I have nothing but respect for Eric Weissburg and his banjo playing on the soundtrack for the movie is awesome. But the way the producer of that movie handled getting that song is terrible. One of the biggest travesty's of justice in bluegrass IMO

btw The kid in the video is also in "Big Fish" he is much older obviously, but he is sitting on a porch playing a banjo when the main character walks into that "perfect" town.
2/27/09 6:28 PM
gregbrady
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love bluegrass. Country is shit though
4/4/09 11:44 PM
cabincreek
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to work for the USFS in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho. I was part of a three person wilderness trails crew. We hiked, repaired trails, and made contact with outfitters and hikers.

Once while scouting for water sources, I came across a makeshift and unkempt campsite in the middle of nowhere. I peaked into the tent and found stacks of books on spirituality. It kind of creeped me out, especially because I was unarmed while simply scouting for water. I got a unabomber vibe. So I walked away.

I came back a few hours later with my Forest Service hat, my Pulaski and my two partners. The guy was there. We exchanged pleasantries and he seemed nice enough. We found out why his camp was so messy- he didn't hang his food properly and a black bear got to it. We helped him fix up the camp. We ended up eating dinner together when he offered to share the wild morels he'd been harvesting during the day.

At dinner, he told us that he was actually a geologist. He was one of the few people around the west that still did geological mapping the old fashioned way. He would walk a few steps, pick up a rock, identify it, and record his findings. He made maps for colleges. My friend asked what the books were all about. The man sheepishly admitted what he was really doing- searching for inner peace.

In fact, he only worked part time as a geologist. His name was Dave and he was originally from North Dakota. After college and a brief geological career, he took himself off the grid. He moved to Guatemala by himself- without speaking a lick of Spanish. He was now a subsistence farmer.

Once a year, he comes home to visit his parents and make a few American dollars which he donates to the villagers. They love him. Eventually, he learned Spanish and he believes he's one of the only whites able to speak Mam, a dialect of Mayan. He said that the Mam accent in his Spanish made other Spanish speakers roll their eyes at him. He joked that he couldn't win- two iconically weird accents: North Dakotan and Mam.

He was an extraordinary guy. We all exchanged information and parted ways. A few months later, I got a letter from Dave which gave directions to his place in Guatemala. It was funny. Fly to Guatemala City, take a bus to Huehuetenango, take a taxi to Todos Santos Cuchumatan. Then, "ask for Dave, the gringo- they all know me!"

He had a kind of crisis of faith, though. He thought he found a beautiful and peaceful place to live. He loved those people. The villagers ended up freaking out and beating a tourist or two when they believed that the tourists were there to steal children. It shook his whole foundation. Then, his Mayan fiance decided to leave him for a dentist that made more money! He was contemplating moving somewhere else- maybe Alaska. But, he thought that was too cliche. Interesting guy.
4/26/09 5:10 PM
MountainMedic
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have run into a few. more than a few actually. one took a few pot shots at our campsite in the middle of the nught after we had an "encounter" earlier that day. it worked, lol, we moved on.

when i was a parks officer it was a real problem, just the sight of my uniform would set some people off-MM
4/28/09 12:21 PM
gregbrady

cabincreek - I used to work for the USFS in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho. I was part of a three person wilderness trails crew. We hiked, repaired trails, and made contact with outfitters and hikers.

Once while scouting for water sources, I came across a makeshift and unkempt campsite in the middle of nowhere. I peaked into the tent and found stacks of books on spirituality. It kind of creeped me out, especially because I was unarmed while simply scouting for water. I got a unabomber vibe. So I walked away.

I came back a few hours later with my Forest Service hat, my Pulaski and my two partners. The guy was there. We exchanged pleasantries and he seemed nice enough. We found out why his camp was so messy- he didn't hang his food properly and a black bear got to it. We helped him fix up the camp. We ended up eating dinner together when he offered to share the wild morels he'd been harvesting during the day.

At dinner, he told us that he was actually a geologist. He was one of the few people around the west that still did geological mapping the old fashioned way. He would walk a few steps, pick up a rock, identify it, and record his findings. He made maps for colleges. My friend asked what the books were all about. The man sheepishly admitted what he was really doing- searching for inner peace.

In fact, he only worked part time as a geologist. His name was Dave and he was originally from North Dakota. After college and a brief geological career, he took himself off the grid. He moved to Guatemala by himself- without speaking a lick of Spanish. He was now a subsistence farmer.

Once a year, he comes home to visit his parents and make a few American dollars which he donates to the villagers. They love him. Eventually, he learned Spanish and he believes he's one of the only whites able to speak Mam, a dialect of Mayan. He said that the Mam accent in his Spanish made other Spanish speakers roll their eyes at him. He joked that he couldn't win- two iconically weird accents: North Dakotan and Mam.

He was an extraordinary guy. We all exchanged information and parted ways. A few months later, I got a letter from Dave which gave directions to his place in Guatemala. It was funny. Fly to Guatemala City, take a bus to Huehuetenango, take a taxi to Todos Santos Cuchumatan. Then, "ask for Dave, the gringo- they all know me!"

He had a kind of crisis of faith, though. He thought he found a beautiful and peaceful place to live. He loved those people. The villagers ended up freaking out and beating a tourist or two when they believed that the tourists were there to steal children. It shook his whole foundation. Then, his Mayan fiance decided to leave him for a dentist that made more money! He was contemplating moving somewhere else- maybe Alaska. But, he thought that was too cliche. Interesting guy.

Interesting story
5/8/10 6:28 AM
opiate

i was camping deep in the forest last summer. was just waking up gettin my fire started for breakfast, when i was a guy walking really fast in the woods near me. he had on raggy clothes and hadnt shaven or had a haircut for years.

and thsi was at a place where NO ONE goes. needless to say i was bugged out
5/9/10 11:00 PM
de braco
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a land surveyor so have had many occasions to meet nuts in the woods.The strangest was a dude who,like the guy mentioned above, also hadn't shaved or had a haircut in many a year.I heard a commotion like something large being drug through the leaves,directly i spot this lunatic dragging a lawn chair.This is in the middle of bfe timber company land.When he sees me he screams and pulls a big bowie knife and jabs it in my direction and begins moving toward me(we're about 75 ft apart).I turn around and grab my kaiser blade and hold it up like a baseball bat.The nut scream/howls and ran off.I got the fuck outa dodge heading in the opposite direction and returned the next day with revolver but never saw him again.Thank god.
5/10/10 12:36 AM
kanotoa

(April 30) -- Authorities in River Hill, Wis., have arrested a 16-year-old boy for attacking another youth with a machete while dressed in "ninja-style" clothing. Police say the suspect in the case claimed he was "protecting" the woods where the incident took place, behind a local high school.

"[It's] absolutely one of the more bizarre cases [we've seen]," River Hills Police Chief Thomas R. Rischmann told AOL News.

According to Rischmann, police were dispatched to Nicolet High School on Tuesday to investigate a reported battery. When the responding officer arrived on the scene, he observed a high school student with a deep laceration to his forehead. The victim told police he was attacked by a "ninja."

police file photo of the weapons they took from the suspect's home
River Hills Police Department
Police say they retrieved these weapons from the home of a 16-year-old boy accused of attacking another youth with a machete in the Wisconsin woods.
The victim, along with three other teens, had entered the woods looking for the masked assailant after two female students told them of an earlier run-in with the individual.

"On [Monday], two female Nicolet High School students entered the wooded area in question after school," Rischmann said. "At that time, the students stated, they were confronted by a subject dressed as a 'ninja.'"

The girls told police the teen, who was dressed in black clothing and wore a black mask, was armed with a sword and a bow. When one of the girls saw the teen drawing an arrow back in the bow, both girls fled.

The next day, "four male students, who are friends, decided to go look for the 'ninja,'" Rischmann said. "As they entered the wooded area, the victim separated himself from the group briefly and was confronted by [the teen]."

According to Rischmann, the "ninja" yelled at the victim and told him he was on "private property." A brief physical altercation ensued, during which the teen withdrew a machete from a sheath attached to his back. The teen then "swung the machete at the victim," striking him above the right eye, Rischmann said.

Afterward, the victim's friends began yelling at the suspect, and he fled into a nearby house.

The victim needed approximately 20 stitches to close the wound.

At the teenage suspect's house, police confiscated a long sword and a machete. They took him into custody without incident and transported him to the Milwaukee County Children's Center. He is currently free on bond, and charges are still pending.

"The district attorney is waiting on additional information and witness statements, which we are working on getting to him," Rischmann said.

Police are unaware of a motive in the case, other than the suspect's statement that he was "protecting the woods," Rischmann said. The suspect is not a student at Nicolet High School but is home-schooled.

It remains unclear whether the suspect is suffering from mental impairment, although Rischmann said it is possible.

"Me being a police officer and not a clinical person, I can't really say one way or the other, [but] one might surmise that," he said.
Filed under: Nation, Crime
5/11/10 4:54 AM
Jeffersonbastard
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem with searching for ninjas is that you may just find one.
5/25/10 1:46 PM
SCTom
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have done hundreds of miles of hiking in the back country searching ghost towns, old mines and a bit of treasure hunting.

Have met a few people in the back country and it really depends on who they are but have had no problem. Usually ends two ways. Keep each others distance and pass by sometimes with a wave. Two, a really enjoyable conversation about the area and whats around.

You can tell who has spent time or belongs in the bush and its actually the part timers I stay away from not wanting them be around, get in the way, or exploit and take from some areas.

Do not carry guns (do carry a machete, set of throwing knives and axe, few straight blades and folders) and have never had a problem with people of wildlife.

5/28/10 10:10 AM
morotetsuke

got to be careful in some parts of the country. if you run across a still or a growing operation they have been known to shoot first and ask questions later.

if youre out in the boonies youre no better than an animal...except your teeth are dull and your claws suck.

6/20/10 7:40 PM
68COUGAR

When I was a small kid here in Montana my dad and I were out for a couple day hike. We were in a couple of miles when we see a guy directly across from us. We were on the trail and he was fallowing us over on a ridge about a hundred yards or less away.. When we would look over at him he would drop down and do push ups.. He would then act real strange and go out of site returning in a few minutes and he would start all over again..Not sure what the deal was with him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.