UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> AGA Tourney Sat. April 4!

2/25/09 3:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saturday, April 4, 2009, the Alabama Grapplers' Association will have it's inaugural tournament to start the OFFICIAL 2009 grappling season.

Venue: the Trussville Athletic Center, corner of Parkway Drive and Cherokee Drive (next to the football field and baseball field - or, for those who know, the old junior high gym)

Cost: you must be an AGA member to compete, so membership is $35.00 for the rest of this year (because 3 months of it will be gone - it will probably be $50.00 for 2010). The tournament cost is $20.00, making your first tournament $55.00. We anticipate having at least 4-5 more this year, so your tourny costs over the year will be LOW. One of the good things about being a non-profit org.

Membership: in addition to the above, AL residents (including verified full time students in AL) will have voting rights within the AGA. You don't have to be a citizen to be a member, but you can't vote on the Floating Board Member position.

Rules: This tourny is no-gi, and we will be using, with some modifications, the USA Grappling Rules. You can find a copy here:  themat.com/forms/GrapplingRulebook.pdf  The age and experience brackets will be different for sure.  We will probably keep the weight classes.
2/25/09 3:58 PM
Hiza Geri

Paperwork: Membership apps and tourny apps will SOON be available at alabamagrappling.com  The website is being worked on now, and we will soon have paypal availability.  You can also submit the paper/money to one of the directors (myself, John Salter, Larry Beard, James Srygley).

Sponsorships:  If you wish to sponsor an event or series of events, please inquire at algrapassoc@gmail.com

Questions:  Please post here, so answers can go to everyone quickly (at least until the website is up)

Rankings:  We will rank the state's best performing grapplers who will vie for State Champ in their respective divisions at the end of the year.  For those out of state, we will probably be a part of the "RANKED" system as well, so your wins will go to your point total there.

This is YOUR Association!  Let's make it great!

for legal purposes- we reserve the right to change all of this...
2/25/09 4:09 PM
Hiza Geri

I almost forgot...

Format: DOUBLE ELIMINATION! That's right, no screwing up one time and done for the day. You still have a chance to take home the gold if you zigged when you shoulda zagged...
2/25/09 9:50 PM
Josh J

Dammit! Same day as Golden Gloves. Even if I don't compete in Golden Gloves, I'm definatley going to be going to support the Triad guys who are competing.

Maybe next time. I will be contacting you about being a sponsor at the next event.
2/26/09 12:44 AM
bigmills008
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh J - Dammit! Same day as Golden Gloves. Even if I don't compete in Golden Gloves, I'm definatley going to be going to support the Triad guys who are competing.

Maybe next time. I will be contacting you about being a sponsor at the next event.

Yeah I have to take some of my guys up to Ttown for that event. Sucks it is the same weekend as the Tourney.

I have a golden gloves show at my gym Sat in Mobile. You guys should come down for it. Go to www.portcitymma.com for more details.
2/26/09 5:55 AM
Josh J

Do you have any more information about the golden gloves? We know the date, but that's about it. I'm having a hard time finding more info.
2/26/09 6:56 AM
Hiza Geri

Well damnit... I train with Round 1 Boxing. I can find out any info Dave may have on it. I may even be able to get them to move it... we'll see.

In any event, Bigmills, if you're going by B'ham on the way to ttown, drop some guys off!!
2/26/09 11:51 AM
MOWA Outlaw

Couple of MMA events that night too. Is the date locked?
2/26/09 4:43 PM
Hiza Geri

nothing is EVER locked with an attorney...

Let me check with everyone, it may be better all around to make it the 11th, instead.
2/26/09 4:51 PM
Josh J

The 11th would be much better for me.

When you get it finalized, e-mail me a flier or something that I can print out and post at Triad.
2/26/09 4:51 PM
Josh J

The 11th would be much better for me.

When you get it finalized, e-mail me a flier or something that I can print out and post at Triad.
2/27/09 5:00 AM
Hiza Geri

Larry Beard correctly pointed out that April 11 would be Easter Weekend. I'm not sure that would be a prudent date to expect people to come from anywhere further than Cullman or so, do to the family nature of the weekend. Any later in the month, and we are frittering away the grappling season AND I may be on the long plane ride to China to pick up my daughter. I am awaiting answers from all the Directors, but it's looking like April 4 this time. But who knows... Like I said, let me talk to all of them today.
2/27/09 3:05 PM
Hiza Geri

LOFL!! I KNEW there was something else I like about you! I dated a PR girl in high school...
2/27/09 3:40 PM
bigmills008
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/27/09 4:17 PM
Josh J - Do you have any more information about the golden gloves? We know the date, but that's about it. I'm having a hard time finding more info.

http://www.southeastboxing.net is the website for the north AL & TN region. We are in a seperate region with gulf coast teams. The tourney is Apr 3 & 4 go to the website for details. 
2/27/09 3:44 PM
bigmills008

Hiza Geri - Well damnit... I train with Round 1 Boxing. I can find out any info Dave may have on it. I may even be able to get them to move it... we'll see.

In any event, Bigmills, if you're going by B'ham on the way to ttown, drop some guys off!!

We go through the BFE country roads from Mobile to Ttown. I would love to bring some guys though. Let me know if it is rescheduled.

I am going to do another kickboxing smoker in April. Let me know when you get a date and i will schedule on a different date so we can work together.
2/27/09 4:14 PM
jaydoug

hiza,

Still planning on giving tickets to the master's the next week to all participants? :)

2/27/09 4:36 PM
Hiza Geri

jaydoug - hiza,

Still planning on giving tickets to the master's the next week to all participants? :)

Don't you start that crap..!!
2/27/09 4:53 PM
Josh J

bigmills008 - 
Josh J - Do you have any more information about the golden gloves? We know the date, but that's about it. I'm having a hard time finding more info.

http://www.southeastboxing.net is the website for the north AL & TN region. We are in a seperate region with gulf coast teams. The tourney is Apr 3 & 4 go to the website for details. 

It doesn't matter anyway. We won't be able to go. You have to be a member of a boxing gym or something like that. I don't think there is a real boxing gym within an hour of us.

Any way around that rule?
2/27/09 10:33 PM
MOWA Outlaw

For Golden Gloves, I think they're pretty strict about sanctioning/passbooks.
2/28/09 1:29 AM
bigmills008

Josh J - 
bigmills008 - 

It doesn't matter anyway. We won't be able to go. You have to be a member of a boxing gym or something like that. I don't think there is a real boxing gym within an hour of us.

Any way around that rule?

You guys can register yourself as a gym with USA Boxing. Check the schedule and teams on that website.
2/28/09 5:02 AM
Hiza Geri

You can also "associate" with an established gym. I'm not sure if usa boxing requires a certified coach or not. If so, I can probably hook you up with Dave Godber, here in B'ham.
2/28/09 9:42 AM
Josh J

We actually are a boxing school, sort of. Tony Sullivan is an excellent boxer and he works with us on our boxing at least 2 days a week.
3/1/09 4:38 AM
FCFBlazer

I want a "super fight with Leif" and then I'll soccer kick him and say "i didn't know the rules!!!!
3/10/09 8:41 AM
Hiza Geri

3/12/09 5:51 PM
Hiza Geri

HypnoToad says, " P R E R E G I S T E R..."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.