UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Ever buy guns in Oregon?

2/26/09 1:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have relatives in Oregon that I like to visit. I would like to get a couple of cheap, 2nd hand guns while I am up there. If I go to a gun show I can just buy a gun with no paper work right? I am not trying to be illegal or anything I just don't want the hassle because I am a non resident.

Guns are very expensive here, I think we pay 25-100% or more above what mainlanders pay. Ammo is also super expensive.
2/27/09 1:04 PM
kanotoa
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to mail them.
3/1/09 3:17 PM
ClayK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will be able to buy long guns on the spot. I don't think you can mail them without going through a FFL. In which case, just order them off the net and have them shipped to a FFL instead of going to Oregon to buy them.
3/1/09 5:58 PM
Possible Human
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's legal to ship firearms to yourself, but it may be hard finding a carrier to do it. That seems like a gamble when you are only visiting some place. Why not just take it home in your luggage? Check your airline's website for their regulations regarding this, but that should be allowable too. Also, be aware that you cannot legally buy a long gun via private sale in another state nor can you directly buy a handgun either through private sale or from a ffl dealer in another state.

For long gun sales, you could always have the private seller transfer it to a ffl at the show that can then transfer it to you assuming that both Oregon and Hawaii laws allow for this. It has to be legal not only in the state in which you are purchasing but your home state as well.

For hand gun sales, any purchase must go through a ffl in your state. The only exception I think is for handguns designated as curio & relic, but I could be wrong.

It's a pain, but these are federal laws (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1). Failure to comply with them can have you spending years in the slammer. Make yourself familiar with them. :) I'd have to agree about the online route. You'll have to pay extra shipping, but you can buy whatever you want and have it shipped to a local ffl. Check out gunbroker.com for what is out there. Gunbroker.com also provides a list of local ffl's you can do transfers through.
3/1/09 6:59 PM
kanotoa

tnx

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.