UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Yachts - the ultimate bug out?

3/6/09 9:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mjollnir
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/06/09 9:46 PM
sourcheese - Mjollnir what would it take for me to learn how to sail a catamoran? (spelling is off as I am intoxicated)

Read a book and go for it(Annapolis Book of Seamanship is great). Multihulls are fast, roomy boats. You'll want to be fairly competent before making a passage in one though. You're fucked if you capsize it (while most monohulls are self-righting) . Starting on a Hobie Cat would be a smart, cheap approach.
3/6/09 10:03 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr28 -  my concern would be docking to refuel if needed

Refuel what? A sailboat doesn't "need" an engine. And you'd probably be better off dumping it for the extra room in the types of situations we are all planning. Anyway I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of it, but I just think some of you guys haven't thought this one all the way through.
3/6/09 10:34 PM
smartin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anybody is running away in a home built concrete sub to avoid getting pinged by surface ships searching for you...fuck, maybe it's time to throw in the towel.
3/6/09 10:44 PM
Mjollnir

Edited: 03/07/09 12:28 AM
quick - 
kvr28 -  my concern would be docking to refuel if needed

Refuel what? A sailboat doesn't "need" an engine. And you'd probably be better off dumping it for the extra room in the types of situations we are all planning. Anyway I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of it, but I just think some of you guys haven't thought this one all the way through.

Quick is right. You don't "need" an engine for a sailboat. Its extremely handy in close quarters though and in a situation where you had to get away from a anchorage quickly I think its indespensible (this assuming you made landing for some reason). My particular boat has a massive cruising range under power. Having my diesel tanks full (250gal) seems like a good idea for a lot of reasons.

My biggest concern would be pirates and officialdom (corrupt or not) in coastal waters. Sailboats - even multihulls - are too slow to out run most powerboats. The advantage of sailing vessels is range (free, no fuel), and seaworthiness. The ocean is indeed vast. I think the smartest thing to do would be to head for Micronesia or an atoll as a caravan with a couple other sailboats. With Zodiacs (to quickly get to the aid of your fleet), firearms, radar, and radio a small caravan of boats would stand a very good chance of escaping and sustaining themselves.
3/7/09 6:48 AM
GaryG
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mjollnir, much respect for accomplishing what I've dreamed about doing for years. Couple questions if you don't mind:

1)How do you train or workout living on a sailboat? Just go to the gym when you dock? Anything you do onboard underway?

2)Are you sailing single-handed to Alaska? How about your previous passages?

3)how did you develop your skills to be a competent sailor?
Dealing with a mast coming down in a storm, not using the engine in a busy unknown port scares the shit out of me and I don't even have a boat yet.

Apologize for the thread drift and thanks in advance.
3/7/09 6:59 PM
Mjollnir

GaryG - Mjollnir, much respect for accomplishing what I've dreamed about doing for years. Couple questions if you don't mind:

1)How do you train or workout living on a sailboat? Just go to the gym when you dock? Anything you do onboard underway?

2)Are you sailing single-handed to Alaska? How about your previous passages?

3)how did you develop your skills to be a competent sailor?
Dealing with a mast coming down in a storm, not using the engine in a busy unknown port scares the shit out of me and I don't even have a boat yet.

Apologize for the thread drift and thanks in advance.

1. Training onboard is all calisthenics. Creativity helps.
2. I do a lot of singlehanded sailing. I'll have 3 guys onboard for the trip N to AK, I'll probably singlehand back down.
3. For learning sailing skills (or any skills) I think theory followed by practical application is the best way. Learning to handle wind & sail on a small boat (like an optimist) is a really good idea - you'll pick up the dynamics of sailing much quicker because a small boat responds so much more clearly than a big one.

Good luck!
3/15/09 12:09 PM
TEOMOFE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mjollnir

Any pics of the inside of the S/V Resolute ?
7/17/09 12:03 AM
Mjollnir

Sorry for the slow response. We made it to Alaska and spent 24 days on Mt. Saint Elias in complete isolation (I'm in Valdez now). The west coast of Canada and Alaska would be a very workable place to bug out (loads of food, water, and tucked away anchorages in a vast wilderness). Below is the best recent pic of Resolute's interior (yes, I'm pickin' my nose). The pic is taken in the pilothouse. Below is the head, galley, two berths. The v-berth is forward.

7/17/09 12:17 AM
kanotoa
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beautiful boat! You must have gone to a lot of places, have you traveled bellow the southern hemisphere to the remote islands etc?
7/17/09 12:21 AM
Mjollnir

No - San Diego to Valdez so far. The atolls of the S. Pacific and SE Asia is on the itinerary though.
7/17/09 12:53 PM
TEOMOFE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool!

I've always been curious as to just how much space there is on one of those things. I can never get a good visual, although folks like to compare it to a one bedroom apartment.

Would you say that's accurate?
7/18/09 2:52 PM
RobbieH

TEOMOFE - Cool!

I've always been curious as to just how much space there is on one of those things. I can never get a good visual, although folks like to compare it to a one bedroom apartment.

Would you say that's accurate?
I'm considering buying a 27+ foot boat to possibly live on while I'm still young and do some traveling on it..I grew up in Myrtle Beach, so the Ocean is in my blood lol. With all the traveling I've done for work and practically living in Hotels I'm used to small spaces and living "light". :) You can get a decent boat for under $10K, I've payed that amount in Rent in six months..so the boat would pay for itself pretty fast even with  unexpected problems here and there. :) A good friend of mine back in SC up and moved on a boat and loved every minute of it, good bit of work..but if you're living on it it's much easier to spread the time maintaining it and working on it.

The space of his was like an efficiency Apartment..good head room for people under 6'4 etc...

9/18/09 4:37 PM
RLL
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one word... pirates
11/6/09 5:09 PM
LeroyJ

One of my buddies is an Ex Seal, and he swears by this theory. He thinks that a boat is the ideal bug out, and that with a .308 and enough ammo, he can keep most predators at bay.
2/7/10 9:33 PM
HardyJenns

Mjollnir - 
kvr28 - very nice, do you keep it docked in the same place or sail to different locales? I knew a guy who would dock in maine for the summer and sail to the bahamas for the winter

I've been kind of moving since I got the boat in San Diego. I lived aboard there for over a year, sailed it to Seattle (been here a year), and I'm leaving for AK next month. After the summer in AK I'll be looking to sail somewhere warmer (though I think Seattle will be my new home port)

That's awesome, thanks for posting all that

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.