UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Anyone talk to neighbors about banding together?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/2/09 2:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crime is on the rise here. I was interested in talking to my neighbors about banding together to help watch over each others houses and coming to each others aid if needed. Most people do this anyway without asking but I wanted to take it a step further.

My neighbors are older. One guy is a nice Tahitian man, he gets robbed every once in a while. He said he would like to get a gun but his wife is an ultra liberal. My other neighbors are English and I don't think they are down with guns either.

The English guys are computer savy though and I was interested in setting up a surveillance network so we could look after each other easily. We are in a dark, rural place blocked by trees so it's not like we can hear them shouting or see people prowling.

If there ever was an attack on any of us the police could potentially be 30+ minutes away. I feel that I am strong enough to defend myself against most people unarmed and if they have multiple attackers or have weapons I think I can hold them off till help comes.

What is a good way of bringing this up without freaking them out?
3/2/09 2:35 PM
Possible Human
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people would look at me like a nut in my neighborhood if I did that now. I live in a nice, quiet neighborhood of a town that's been in a few different top 25's for best small towns in the US to live in including Money magazine's. Most people are insulated here and ultra-liberal to boot. I'd probably just make some casual references to the times and gauge their response. Of course this takes a bit of social skill and the ability to understand where people are coming from when they say certain things, and those aren't skills everybody has.

Just going off personality types, I think there are a couple of my immediate neighbors that I could count on. Just take it slow and don't come right out and say it. I don't know how much of a social butterfly you are, but use whatever social skills you have to test the waters.
3/2/09 2:59 PM
jaywill
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im concerned about my neighbours, next door I have a helpless old lady that would mooch, and on the other side I have another old lady that has live in 4o-ish year old drunk sons. The only person that may be any use is an ex military guy across the street.
3/2/09 6:26 PM
dunc
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. I don't want them coming to me for help, but I do have friends with similar ideals ready to come together if need be and we all have something to bring to the table.
3/2/09 8:50 PM
Dojosensei
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saturday night 3am, I'm out in the driveway, 9mm in hand dealing with crap going on across the road. Neighbor is out of town for a week, his wife and kid are home alone so I'm watching out for them. 2 trucks showed up, then left, then showed up again and one got out with flashlight. My wife called the popo and I went out to deal with the situation.

We're all really watching out for each other. Down the road they've had 17 breakins, and they don't care if anyone is home or not they are still breaking in. We're in the country. We have surveillance both audio and video, motion sensor lights, alarms on the windows and doors and a small arsenal hehe.
3/3/09 12:52 AM
ClayK

I'm not aiding anyone that isn't already helping themselves. I've finally got my roommate convinced that prepping is a good idea. He's already got the SKS to mate with my AK and he's grabbing a 12 guage too. I've got a pair of .22LRs. I've got enough food to last me through a small-medium rough patch. Once he gets set for a couple months of badness, we're working on growing our own foods.
3/3/09 10:57 PM
gregbrady

Dojosensei - Saturday night 3am, I'm out in the driveway, 9mm in hand dealing with crap going on across the road. Neighbor is out of town for a week, his wife and kid are home alone so I'm watching out for them. 2 trucks showed up, then left, then showed up again and one got out with flashlight. My wife called the popo and I went out to deal with the situation.

We're all really watching out for each other. Down the road they've had 17 breakins, and they don't care if anyone is home or not they are still breaking in. We're in the country. We have surveillance both audio and video, motion sensor lights, alarms on the windows and doors and a small arsenal hehe.

17 break-ins out in the country? Damn. There'd be some dead burglars in my neighborhood. An old codger would have blasted them with a 12 gauge by now.
3/4/09 8:20 AM
Dojosensei
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah...apparently they don't care if you are home or not. That's the fucked up thing. They tried to break in on an old lady down the road. Luckily I have audio, video surveillance, it's posted, dogs inside and alarms on all the windows and doors. Funny thing is...I started all of this shit because of a crazy ex wife that kept vandalizing the house...now it's come in handy for this haha. Nice to have it already in place when I needed it.
3/7/09 1:19 PM
kanotoa
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I talked to the tech neighbors and ran a proposal by them: We share the cost of a network surveillance system and everyone pitches in in monitoring each other. I told them if they called me I would be there for any type of emergency.

I talked to the wife and she was nice but I don't know how interested they are. If someone was kicking the door down at my house when I was gone I wouldn't count on any of them coming to my wife's aid. If they would just watch my house when I was gone that would be huge for me.

I didn't bring up guns but if they ever called me for a prowler in their yard I would tell them my mossberg is coming or I won't.
3/9/09 10:20 PM
ClayK

Well today I was talking with my roommate at work. We were discussing prepping ( which he had agreed to start a week ago)

He made a joke about the potential for zombie outbreak. I informed him that he was officially out of my group if TSHTF. He got bug eyed and asked why. I told him that he SNORES louder than a bear and that anyone ( or undead) could hear him sleeping, thus, leaving me vulnerable to attack as well. He started to argue, but my rebuttal was that he hadn't started prepping yet so he wasn't bringing anything to the table and his snoring put him 0-2 on the scoreboard, so he was on his own.

He went to the store after work and bought a few gallons of water and some non perishables. He has agreed to buy more with each pay check as long as he can remain with me in the unfortunate event things get crazy.
3/9/09 11:12 PM
quick
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just an FYI in the service we used to nudge guys who snored and it would quiet them up.
3/9/09 11:17 PM
ClayK

so far, nothing has worked shy of waking him.
3/10/09 11:33 PM
quick
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well then you ain't nudging hard enough. ;)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.