UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Quinoa

3/2/09 9:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought some of this stuff today since it's supposed to be good for you. I'm going to try it plain tomorrow morning to get a taste for it. From what I've been able to find you just cook it up like rice, and apparently it has a subtle nutty flavour.

Does anyone have any good recipes for this wonder seed that I can try out?
3/3/09 8:04 AM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I boiled this up for breakfast for the wife and I this morning.

I added some honey to mine and it was good stuff. Beats the heck out of oatmeal any day of the week.
3/3/09 2:41 PM
Tys

The youngster liked it too, so now I own a big cannister full of Red Quinoa... I hope it tastes the same as the white stuff did.
3/3/09 8:49 PM
Mit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIRC the red stuff tasted a little nuttier, but pretty much the same.
3/5/09 5:08 PM
Pito Chueco
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just picked some up today....been meaning to try it as a substitute for rice or couscous.

How did you make it? I am thinking of just boiling in chick broth to keep it simple.
3/5/09 6:11 PM
Tys

I've been eating it every morning for the last few days, but from the recipes I've found it's used alot as a substitute for rice and couscous.

I mix it 1:1.5 that's Quinoa to water.

Bring it to a boil on the stove, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

Fluff it, add some honey and call it breakfast.

I found a recipe for Black Beans and Quinoa, I plan to try it this weekend so I'll report back how bad it is.
3/6/09 12:56 AM
MisoWhoreKnee
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tys - I've been eating it every morning for the last few days, but from the recipes I've found it's used alot as a substitute for rice and couscous.

I mix it 1:1.5 that's Quinoa to water.

Bring it to a boil on the stove, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

Fluff it, add some honey and call it breakfast.

I found a recipe for Black Beans and Quinoa, I plan to try it this weekend so I'll report back how bad it is.

Worst breakfast evar!
3/6/09 8:12 AM
Tys

Just finished a bowl, I love this stuff!
3/6/09 7:40 PM
Tys

Stuffed Peppers, nice! I'll have to try that one this weekend.
3/18/09 5:19 AM
TSMontana
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone make pasta purely out of quinoa, without a wheat flour base? All recipes I've seen for quinoa pasta include a wheat flour base.
3/21/09 9:05 PM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love it
4/9/09 7:00 AM
Clem1183
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is quinoa in a supermarket? I have looked around rice/grains and by oatmeal and can't seem to find it. My local stores may not carry it since I'm in the midwest. Any good websites? Thanks in advance.
4/9/09 8:03 AM
Tys

Our Grocery Store carries it in the health food section, but it's expensive there. I buy it at the bulk stores.

Tried this in some Stuffed Peppers, it was pretty good but so far I like it on its own as breakfast!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.