UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Barbecue time approaches, favorite recipes

3/5/09 7:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear

So the weather is starting to get warmer and less rainy here in Gay Paris, so it's time for me to get out the metal brush, stock up on charcoal and start doing some grilling again.

My daughter will be one-year-old at the end of April, we're having a bit of a party and my folks are coming over. That gives me two months (nearly) to get back into practice and starting adding some new grilling skills to my extremely limited repertoire.

I only started grilling last summer, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot (thanks to you guys), so I'm hoping to get some more done and wow my guests once again with some delightful taste sensations.

Would anyone like to share their favorite recipes and tips for grilling for parties of 20 - 30 people on a weber kettle?

Thanks

DROC
3/6/09 12:15 PM
GaryG
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 1st tip would be to hire a caterer.:)

20 - 30 people with only one grill doesn't seem possible, but there's people here with way more knowledge than me so ttt for someone that knows what they're talking about.

My only other tip is crack open alot of good wine
3/7/09 7:01 PM
Pito Chueco
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well since you are Paris, that limits my input.

Here in Texas, it is easy to feed that many people off the grill.

Skirt steak or chicken breasts + grilled onion + tortillas = fajitas.

Kabobs are also another option. You can do all the work before hand. Marinade beef, chicken, rabbit, shrimp whatever. Sausage works well too. Use bell peppers, onions, pinapple, plum tomatos, onions etc and put on a skewer. Use your imagination.

Also, a couple of pork loins go a long way. Butterfly twice, mix cream cheese with herbs then tie back up. Grill for a bit than wrap in foil to finish.

Just some quick thoughts about what I could do easily here in the ol' US
3/9/09 9:39 AM
droc

GaryG, of course it's possible, will just take planning, preparation and choosing food correctly, like things that can be prepared beforehand and finished in the oven, or only need a short while on the grill. 

Last year I did a whole lot of chicken wings, burgers (home made) and some sausages, I didn't want to complicate things as I was very new to grilling. There were 15 - 20 of us and everybody had more than enough to eat and the food was pretty good.

I will be opening a lot of good (and cheap) wine.

Pito Chueco,

Assume that everything you can do in Texas can be done here.

Some good ideas there, I'll look into a couple of them.

I'm thinking I might make a few gallons of Chili too.

DROC

3/9/09 9:33 PM
NiteProwleR
741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you have a spare even broken pit? Just so you can start a 2nd fire in the middle of cooking.

I have a decent sized pit but sometimes grill for about 10-15 ppl & this usually works out nicely.

DINOSAUR RIBS.
3/10/09 1:11 AM
sabrutat

Fajitas = low amount of meat per person, and if you pot up some chili too you're gold, numbers-wise. Make too much chili for next to the same price and you can feed you and yours for the next week. Might wanna invest in some more stringent toilet paper, too. Do you have toilet paper in France?

lol

However, add sauteed green bell peppers to your onions, some freshly crushed garlic, and don't forget your additional fixings of grated cheese (which cheese is up to you - I'd recommend a sharp cheddar, but I'm culturally biased) and a hefty dollop of sour cream. Ooo, and condiment up with the best salsa you can get hold of. I'm partial to the green.

Fucking heaven. And warm your tortillas for 30sec a side in a hot skillet with no oil.

Shouting time.

Cheers

Stef
3/10/09 9:56 AM
droc

No, don't have a spare pit, but might be able to get someone to bring one along. I'll look into it.

Barbecue Fajitas Stef, I'm obviously missing something.

DROC
3/10/09 4:31 PM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for crowds i usually do a few different flavors of marinated chicken drumsticks and pork shoulder (ca be done in oven overnight)

kebabs also go over well but make sure its all the same ingredient on each kebab, dont put peppers on with the chicken etc, it just fucks it up.
3/15/09 6:11 PM
WaltJ
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to be doing a lot of kebabs this season....can't wait.
3/17/09 9:50 AM
droc

Got any good kebab recipes?

DROC
3/17/09 11:06 AM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kebabs, for me, are all about the marinade. i almost always use cubes of chicken breast but sometimes chunks of sirloin.

a couple marinades i like -

low sodium soy sauce, ginger, garlic, black pepper, sesame seeds and green onion.

white miso paste and beer.

balsamic vinegar and assorted dried herbs.

i also buy a lot of bottled marinades and try them out from time to time.
4/3/09 10:19 AM
Gorgeous

Shread some fish cake with a large knife and bbq it in soya sauce a pinch of sugar and seasame seeds with a drop of the oil.

NUM numnumnumnumnumnum...
4/3/09 10:39 AM
MikeZev

ew, what?
4/3/09 11:28 AM
droc

Them marinades sound nice Mike, I'm gonna kick the missus out of the house this weekend, finish painting then get to grilling

DROC
4/4/09 3:16 AM
Ryan Dunphy
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started getting more in to cooking recently and once a week make pulled pork.

I cook a 3-4 pound shoulder in the crock pot with a beer or beef broth with some of the usual seasonings, garlic, and onions as well. Cook low about 8-10 hours...take meet out and shred with forks....

Now you can either put it on tinfoil and drench in baby rays bbq sauce and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 350 or so taking it out once or twice to flip it around so it all gets a brown slightly crispy taste to it

or you can empty the crock of all the crap that was in it and just pot back the shredded pork and squirt in some baby rays and let it cook a while longer....this version comes out more in texture like a sloppy joe...where it almost seems like you dont really need to chew it.

Thats it for now
4/4/09 5:52 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 04/04/09 6:07 AM
Gorgeous - Shread some fish cake with a large knife and bbq it in soya sauce a pinch of sugar and seasame seeds with a drop of the oil.

NUM numnumnumnumnumnum...
Well the results taste best when used sparringly in sushi. But it's nummy. My fiends turned up starving one night and that was the only component of the feast I had finished. There was none left for sushi :(

4/10/09 6:57 AM
droc

That sounds great Ryan, but this will be a Pork free party. My missus and her family are muslim.

DROC
6/23/09 11:27 PM
Mark1

Since you are a fancypants european, I will let it slide this one time

barbeque =/= grilling

barbeque is low temp (200-275ish) and long cook times, over hardwood smoke.

grilling is searing foods quickly over high heat.  Charcoal or propane.

Mark
6/24/09 10:08 AM
droc

Thanks Mark1, I shall endeavor to avoid this "Faux Pas" in future

DROC
7/1/09 3:14 AM
shootfightermike
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/1/09 10:24 PM
shootfightermike
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/27/09 10:00 PM
Pito Chueco
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, what did you do?
11/13/09 9:36 AM
droc

I can't remember, that was more than 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure I grabbed a couple of KG of bef mince and did  a couple of different burgers, then about 5 or 6 lb of buffaque wings similar to the ones on barbecue bible.

I think I did some kebabs too
3/30/10 4:48 PM
dunc
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it begins........again
3/31/10 12:31 PM
droc

I lit the grill last week for the first time, just to make some merguez real quick. The next day it rained, and for the rest of the week. Then I went into hospital to have my gall bladder removed, so I won't be grilling for a week or two.

Anyone who gets there before me post up what you make.

DROC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.