UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Ruger Mini 30?

3/5/09 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone own the ruger mini 30 or mini 14? Is it a good weapon and how does it compare to an ak47 or similar assault rifle?
3/6/09 3:07 AM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/06/09 3:07 AM
From my experience shooting a mini 14 (never shot a mini 30), it's not as accurate as my WASR 10 AK and not even close to my milled SLR95 ak. I had difficulty keeping half my shots on a 18" steel plate at 100 yards from rest with the mini 14. I can normally keep most of my shots on that palte pretty easily with my AK's.

Pretty much any AR will outshoot an AK or mini anything.

YMMV
3/6/09 7:09 PM
jaywill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just based on buddies who have one, its not very accurate but its fun. Im waiting on a CZ 58 myself.
3/9/09 11:23 PM
RDS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaywill - just based on buddies who have one, its not very accurate but its fun. Im waiting on a CZ 58 myself.

I hope you post your opinion of the CZ58. I've been dead set on getting an AK but after your post and looking into it, Im now debating between an AK or the CZ58.
3/11/09 3:20 PM
jaywill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RDS - 
jaywill - just based on buddies who have one, its not very accurate but its fun. Im waiting on a CZ 58 myself.

I hope you post your opinion of the CZ58. I've been dead set on getting an AK but after your post and looking into it, Im now debating between an AK or the CZ58.

I am still on about 10 waiting lists. these guns are hard to get right now. luckily a local shop here is ordering a crate so i stand a good chance of scoring one in the near future. I wish I could get an AK as well but im in Canada, at least CZ makes a completely unrestricted variant that I can even take hunting. the only hiccup ive heard so far with the 58 is that it doesnt like brass, just the commie steel surplus rounds.
7/21/09 5:34 AM
1911fanatic

Minis are cheap, fun plinkers. Mini 30s have little to no aftermarket and magaizines that are reliable other than factory ones are IMPOSSIBLE to find.
7/29/09 6:05 PM
Chilito

LOL at all the guys on here saying a mini-14 isnt accurate. Go tell that to a coyote hunter.
8/1/09 1:47 AM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, so it can hit a coyote at 100 yards. Hitting a dog that's 2.5 to 3 feet long at 100 isn't all that impressive, most good quality handguns can do that with a good shooter.

I have an SKS that cost $100 that I'd put up against any stock mini 14 or 30 in accuracy. My stamped receiver ak is more accurate at a couple hundred dollars cheaper, my milled receiver AK is a lot more accurate at the same price, and any AR would out shoot it like it was the things job.

An accurized mini 14 is supposed to shoot 2" groups, but costs the same as a high end AR that will probably still out shoot it ($1600). http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php
8/2/09 1:08 PM
Chilito

Edited: 08/02/09 1:08 PM
Skpotamus - Ok, so it can hit a coyote at 100 yards. Hitting a dog that's 2.5 to 3 feet long at 100 isn't all that impressive, most good quality handguns can do that with a good shooter. I have an SKS that cost $100 that I'd put up against any stock mini 14 or 30 in accuracy. My stamped receiver ak is more accurate at a couple hundred dollars cheaper, my milled receiver AK is a lot more accurate at the same price, and any AR would out shoot it like it was the things job.An accurized mini 14 is supposed to shoot 2" groups, but costs the same as a high end AR that will probably still out shoot it ($1600). http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.phpYou've obviously never hunted coyotes. The target is 7-8 inches and the ranges can easily be double the 100 yd mark.That's great that you have rifles that are accurate, but the accuracy of those rifles doesnt take anything away from the Mini-14.
8/2/09 1:14 PM
Chilito

sorry how it came out. I edited a mistake and it fucked up the format somehow.
8/2/09 2:56 PM
Skpotamus

Actually Chilito, I do hunt coyotes regularly since I live out in the country and my neck of the woods is thick with them.

The gun was designed to shoot minute of man inside 200 yards and it does.

The fact is that factory acceptable accuracy on a mini 14 is a 3 shot 5" group at 100 yards from rest. If the gun can shoot that, then it's considered good. I know this because I've sent guns back to Ruger while working in gun shops that shot those groups and gotten a letter back from Ruger saying that the gun meets factory standards. For the price, you can buy a much more accurate semi-auto.

If you really like the mini, you can have it accurized, see any of the dozens of companies that make a living fixing the poor accuracy of the guns. Or you could take the $800 you would spend on a mini 14 and buy something that shoots better. Your call.
11/3/09 2:54 AM
1911fanatic

Mini 14s built after 2005 have much better accuracy. The problem is the paper thin barrel they are shipped with. After a couple hundred rounds, it is glowing. New factory Rugers are shooting 1.5-2" form a rest, still paper thin barrels, though.
9/9/10 2:53 AM
krebs74

for the price of a mini30 there are plenty of better options... I would look into bottom tier ar15

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.