UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Questions about taking pictures of grappling

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/5/09 9:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
leglockfan
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just got a Canon XSi and I wanted to see if anyone on here had good tips/settings for getting the most out of taking grappling shots. I am going to use my camera at the Arnolds this weekend and then in class a great deal when I get back. I heard that getting a 50mm 1.8f lens was a good start but when I went to the store they were sold out so I will look to purchase that when I get back.
3/7/09 11:42 AM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

standard stuff, really. lowest aperture you can get to (use Av mode). use the motor drive! be prepared to throw out 75% of the pics you take immediately for being crap, then spending a couple more hours getting down to the best 1%.

I remember the arnold's being decently lit, but try to get as close as you can before the match starts so you've got a good angle. if you can't get a good angle...don't waste your time either find something else to shoot or just enjoy the match.

should be enough to get you started....
3/7/09 1:34 PM
leglockfan
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the tips. I'm here now and having a bitch of a time with all the people
3/9/09 1:44 AM
leglockfan

cluster - standard stuff, really. lowest aperture you can get to (use Av mode). use the motor drive! be prepared to throw out 75% of the pics you take immediately for being crap, then spending a couple more hours getting down to the best 1%.

I remember the arnold's being decently lit, but try to get as close as you can before the match starts so you've got a good angle. if you can't get a good angle...don't waste your time either find something else to shoot or just enjoy the match.

should be enough to get you started....

Damn man I don't think I have ever read more truth in a post ever lol

I went through all the pictures I took before I gave up and sure enough 75% were throw aways, I was very surprised that I was able to make some of them work after a little photoshopping. I will try and try some more to get it working and pick up the 50mm 1.8f lens also and keep trying my hand at it.

As for you saying "use the motor drive!" what did you mean there, you mean the auto focus or what? I was a little confused on that
3/10/09 11:31 PM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By motor drive, i of course meant continuous mode ;) couldn't think of what they call it....

One of the most important parts of photographing action scenes is being able to anticipate when something worthwhile is going to happen and know that in the context of how your camera operates. That is, how long it takes to focus (if you need to, whether manual or auto), how long shutter lag is, how long it takes to clear the buffer, etc. I dont' think anyone's going to have to worry about buffers clearing with modern cameras (I did with the camera I used for the past few years, before I picked up an XSi myself), but you know.

Basically, you'll have an idea of how long all your cameras mechanical functions take _and_ have an idea of how long it takes to throw a punch (or whatever), so you can be pressing the shutter while the guy is in mid-punch and the shutter will click at the right moment.

Or if you're not sure, or there's a clinch situation (in boxing say), you can use the continuous drive to increase the odds that you capture something useful/interesting.

Of course, that ups the number of photos you take, but it's easy enough to delete after you load everything on your computer.
3/11/09 12:15 AM
leglockfan

Here are a couple of good shots I got, after playing around with them in photoshop (noise ninja is a godsend)

I ordered the 1.8 lens yesterday, might get it by Friday

looking forward to messing with it for sure
3/11/09 1:31 PM
cluster

good stuff. lol @ the ref with his hands in his pockets tho.
3/20/09 5:13 PM
leglockfan

Oh yah back on this subject I got the 1.8f lens for 130bucks from Wolf Camera... OMG it is absolutely the SHIT

I've taken some really really cool pictures with it so far too
3/20/09 5:30 PM
leglockfan

nah just grappling shots from training.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.