UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> anybody read books about food/chefs?

3/6/09 9:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from kitchen confidential of course.

i just finished the apprentice by jacques pepin - pretty good read if you're interested in classic technique.

before that i read my last supper which is really like a coffee table book but it was awesome - short interviews with chefs about what thier last meal on earth would be, who the guests are etc..

i just started reading The Vegetable Passion which is a very pretentious book about vegetarianism. interesting so far.

so what do you have on your shelves?
3/6/09 12:24 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/06/09 12:26 PM
Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany (Vintage) (Paperback) The author is a friend of Mario Batalli and worked in his restaurant before traveling to Italy to apprentice in some italian restaurants. The books really about a lot more but I'm a better reader than writer.
http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Adventures-Pasta-Maker-Apprentice-Dante-Quoting/dp/1400034477/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236359759&sr=1-1

My First Crush: Misadventures in Wine Country (Hardcover
by Linda Kaplan (Author) Not really a book about food but its well written and provides alot of insight into winemaking. Besides its impossible for me to separate food and wine

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Crush-Misadventures-Country/dp/1592286100/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236359864&sr=1-3

I've read others but I'll need to do some digging.
3/6/09 2:07 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise (Hardcover)
by Ruth Reichl

NYT food critic goes undercover to review restaurants anonymously. Learned alot about the NY food scene.
3/6/09 5:44 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty much just stick to the jokes in Hustler when it comes to reading.
3/7/09 5:53 AM
junon
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

last weekend I just finished "The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness and the Making of a Great Chef" by Marco Pierre White".

not quite as entertaining as Kitchen Confidential but still pretty good.

apparently Ramsay was quite the scrapper back in the day.
4/28/09 9:35 PM
Lou Dukes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The Man who ate Everything," by Jeffrey Steingarten
5/5/09 8:52 PM
skrump
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second GaryG, Heat is a fukin great book. Zev, if you havent read it, pick up a used copy at the strand for like 5 bucks, you wont be able to put it down.
5/5/09 8:52 PM
skrump
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/05/09 8:52 PM
double post - what the sheeet
1/7/10 1:25 PM
Breezah
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marco Pierre White--The Devil in the Kitchen
1/7/10 8:59 PM
junon
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breezah -  Marco Pierre White--The Devil in the Kitchen

already suggested =P

the last book i read was by Michael Ruhlmann "The Making of Chef" which was about going through the Culinary Institute of America.

i thinking about reading it again.
1/8/10 1:17 AM
Breezah
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

junon - 
Breezah -  Marco Pierre White--The Devil in the Kitchen

already suggested =P

the last book i read was by Michael Ruhlmann "The Making of Chef" which was about going through the Culinary Institute of America.

i thinking about reading it again.
oops sorry I skimmed though the thread but I didn't see that!

1/8/10 5:00 AM
junon

Dirty Dishes?
1/22/10 1:54 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dilemma-Natural-History-Meals/dp/1594200823

If you're at all interested in good food then you know it has to start with quality ingredients. Learn why grass-fed beef tastes the way it does and why farm-fresh eggs are delicious.
3/26/10 10:43 AM
GaryG

Just started reading "Under the Table" by Katherine Darling.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Table-Saucy-Culinary-School/dp/1416565272/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269614429&sr=8-1

I'll report back when I've finished
3/30/10 6:12 PM
TheAncestors
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a biography of Careme. The details of his life make for dry reading but the stuff about his cooking is very interesting. He used to make huge intricate models out of sugar for table centrepieces. He'd boil the sugar and test what stage it was at by dipping his hands in ice water and then in the boiling sugar. The books lists his descriptions for how to tell the eight stages and what each are good for. It also has some of his recipes, even for basic stuff like bechamel sauce.
4/1/10 12:26 AM
junon

whats the name of that Careme book?
4/6/10 12:04 PM
TheAncestors
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's "Cooking for Kings: The Life of Antonin Careme, the First Celebrity Chef" by Ian Kelly. I can't find my damn copy but when I do I'll post some of his sugar boiling hi-jinks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.