UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Help with estimating cost for repair

3/6/09 4:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Charlie Waffles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am considering buying an old 1990 Nissan 300zx and the one that I have my eye on can potentially be a steal if the cost to fix what is wrong with it is not over the top. The current owner says that it needs a new cam sensor and she willbe good to go. Does anyone know about how much this would cost to fix? I know absolutely nothing about cars, so I appreciate everyones help.

Thanks
3/6/09 7:50 PM
autotech
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a 1990 300 ZX i am not seeing any listing on a camshaft position sensor.I do see a crankshaft position sensor listed at $405.00 suggested retail.I will need a bit more info about it.Ponyboy is a Nissan tech and he would be more familiar with it than I am.
3/7/09 12:57 AM
Charlie Waffles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huh? Wonder if the guy is full of shit. I called him and he said it would cost about $300.00 to replace, but he didn't want to invest any more money into it. Seems a little suspicious now. Here is the link to the vehicle.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1060903500.html

Maybe you can look at it and let me know what you think.

This car pn KBB goes for 2965 in fair condition, so the price might actually match the car.
3/7/09 8:15 AM
autotech
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't look bad in the picture,but again on the cam sensor I looked in my chilton and motor guide and saw nothing listed.

you have two choices wait until Ponyboy is around he worked at a nissan dealer ship and will be able to answer your question or find someone local that is willing to check it for you.If I were local and a customer asked I would check it out,but I may charge $50.00 and I would go and check it out as best I could in the persons drive way.

I just did a bit more research and found this
"The Crank Angle Sensor is located on the front of the exhaust camshaft on the driver's side of the engine. It is often referred to as a Camshaft Position Sensor, due to its location."
3/7/09 10:29 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/09 10:30 PM
It's a cam position sensor.

It's just a small module that bolts to the the timing cover on the driver's side though I did break one taking it off of a J30 infiniti at the u-pull junkyard because then can get stuck......they pull straight out after removing the 3 10mm bolts but you might have to twist it a bit to get it to move.

I would have the guy disconnect the battery, and then try to start the car.

Then......provided it doesn't start and run sweet....which means he will ask for more money, you should check codes and see if it flashes the code for the cam position sensor as well as other codes.

Here's a thread on a how-to but the part where he says to turn the key to accessory, instead turn it to run (not start).

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/249406

Careful with turning the screw on the ecu as it is just a volume knob type pot and isn't strong.

It's supposed to be turned fully one way or the other....nothing in between.

Really the first thing to do is go to twinturbo.net and check out the FAQ section or lurk on the sticky posts for information before asking a question or you will be crucified for asking a question in which the answer is available easily from searching.

Which model of the car is it......auto? Slicktop? T-tops, 2+2....etc?
3/9/09 1:31 PM
Charlie Waffles

Thanks Pony Boy. How much would that cost to get fixed? I think it is the T-Top model. Not sure if it is a 2+2 or not.
3/13/09 11:42 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/09 11:42 PM
If the cam angle sensor is truly the problem, the labor should be minimal since it takes me about 4 minutes maximum to replace one.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.