UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Will gun prices be going down anytime soon?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/6/09 9:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am looking for a good rifle to complete my collection but damn the prices are high! I would like a 308 semi and I am looking at a Saiga because that is all I can afford.

Is the 308 Saiga reliable and strong like the AK 47? I also want something i can work on myself. I've been reading up and so far I get that it isn't as accurate as a more expensive remmington but I am not looking to be a sniper. I guess mounting scopes are a pain too.

Do people forsee gun prices going down or is this the new bubble?
3/6/09 9:57 PM
gregbrady
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They'll go down. Especially when the new assault weapon ban bills get defeated in Congress by western Democrats telling Obama to go fuck himself and voting with the Republicans.
3/6/09 10:38 PM
ThousandYrdStare

I hope so. If I had to give an estimate on when things will calm down I'd say 6 months to a year.

Assault rifles like the AR-15 and AK-47 are very hard to find right now for normal prices. In addition to that there's a huge back order on everything from high cap magazines to ammo reloading components. Luckily I saw this coming and bought my AR-15 back in summer 08' before the hysteria began.

I've heard mixed opinions about the Saigas. Some people swear by them, some people hate them. If you want a good/accurate "AK-47" style gun get one with a milled receiver not stamped.

When it comes to AK-47's I can say that Arsenal makes a pretty good product. I've owned a 5.56 version of one of their rifles for a few years and have put a few thousand wolf rounds (crappy steel cased) through it w/o a jam or failure to eject. They're kind of on the expensive side (back in 2006 I picked it up for 775 brand new), but overall its very accurate (for an AK) and extremely dependable.
3/7/09 12:08 AM
ClayK

Edited: 03/07/09 12:08 AM
I doubt the prices drop any time soon.That said, I've got a Norinco MAK-90 that has never FTF or FTE. I gave less than 300 for mine back in 04.
3/7/09 8:50 AM
Possible Human

Yeah. I foresee prices being high for a while as well.

That Saiga 308 I hear has between 1-4 MOA at 100 yards depending on who you are talking to. The truth probably lies somewhere in between, which I think is fine for survival living. Like you said, you aren't going to be a sniper or target shooting. As far as I understand it, it is reliable like an AK. Same action.

I'm off to that show in a couple hours. I'll post what types of prices I find there.
3/7/09 1:11 PM
kanotoa
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your input.
3/7/09 4:30 PM
Possible Human

Holy mother of high prices... I did pick up a used Russian SKS at the show for $230 that had the bayonet lug machined off. The finish was ok, but I could definitely refinish the stock. There were a bunch of Chinese SKS's at between $269-$289. They looked unissued. Right after I bought the Russian one, another dealer came in and grabbed all the Chinese ones. There were a smattering of Yugo and Chinese ones around after that, but they were all at least $350. For a sks...

I saw one Saiga 308 there for $629. Classic Arms is selling them online right now for $549. Anything black was selling for a boat load. MA does still have an AWB, so that was part of it. The place was packed though. I had to park a half mile away because the lots were all full. I may pick up another SKS from my dealer for about $280 and try to get rid of my Yugo one. I'm not digging the grenade launcher. It just makes the barrel longer and end-heavy.

That's all beside the point. Not much of a deal to be found at the show. I was disappointed. Prices were similar to what you'd see in shops around here and on the internet. No thanks.
3/8/09 5:32 AM
jaywill
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crap that snuck up on me, I didn't realize canadian gun shops were going up as well, hunting rifles jumped 200$
3/8/09 12:45 PM
kanotoa

Thanks for the update.
3/11/09 10:29 PM
gregbrady

I've noticed lever-action and bolt-action rifles going up in price. That is retarded. Those things will never be banned. It's hysteria at this point
3/12/09 2:15 PM
Possible Human

I'd sell the Yugo in-state. That is the only way I'd feel right charging somebody the amount I paid for it. I should charge extra for going through the trouble of getting all that damn cosmoline off! As I said, at the show, there were Yugo's going for $350...

I'm probably just going to keep it though. It's just the backup to my Russian one anyway.
3/12/09 7:11 PM
ClayK

where do you live PH?
3/13/09 9:41 AM
Possible Human

I live in Massachusetts.

I'm still not sure I want to sell though. I grabbed some pictures.

Yugo SKS w/Bayonet detached:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1274.jpg

Yugo Grenade Launcher:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1276.jpg

Yugo and Russian SKS as comparison:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1277.jpg

Yugo and Russian SKS + Kel-tec Sub-2000 (I said I'd post pictures of the Kel-tec to show it's size):

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1278.jpg

Kel-tec Unfolded:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1279.jpg

W/standard laptop case to see how small Kel-tec is:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1280.jpg

With one of the mutts:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1282.jpg

With Bayonet attached:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1283.jpg

One more with bayonet:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/thepossiblehuman/IMG_1284.jpg
3/13/09 9:51 AM
Possible Human

Blue namer help would be nice. :)
3/15/09 2:17 PM
Possible Human

Thanks. He was curious what I was doing, so I figured he should get in on the action. :)

There's a gun shop around here that has those combination locks. They sell them individually and also in packs of 3's. I like them better than having to have the keys. A key can get lifted or lost.
3/15/09 5:02 PM
Possible Human

Well, I have to head there this week to pick up the Rock River Arms lower receiver I ordered and some cleaning supplies. I'll check out the prices and let you know.
3/17/09 11:36 AM
Possible Human

Combo locks were all sold out when I just went. It won't be long before I'm back there to stock up on ammo though. I'll check then.
3/17/09 3:35 PM
Possible Human

BTW, the gun shop was pretty freaking busy for 10am... I had to wait in line behind 4 other guys for background checks because they were all buying guns. ( 2 were buying handguns; 1 was buying a rifle; 1 was buying 2 handguns, a rifle, and shotgun!).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.