UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Post your disaster story if you have one.

3/6/09 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll start this off and I'll add to it later.

I was in LA during the riots. I lived in Pasadena (nice part) so were weren't looted or attacked but I was confronted by 2 black guys before I knew the riots had started. A white guy i knew got visited by his punk ass daughter's black boyfriend who was very embolden by the riots. He wanted to kick the white guys ass because the dad didn't like the way he treated her and disapproved of the relationship (he was a little racist too). He talked shit and told my white co worker to come outside so he could beat him down but my friend had a pistol behind his back and he said he would have killed the guy if he attacked.

I stayed in door and watched in horror as minorities looted and beat up innocent people. My uncle owned factories in LA and he defended them with rifles, I never met the man but my grandma told me this later.

Having a gun would have been a little reassuring though I heard stories of black people with AK 47 riding around in SUVs sticking out of the sun roofs.

After that experience I had enough of LA and moved back to Kauai. A month later we had hurricane Iniki, a Katrina like hurricane. Power was out and services like trash, phone, ambulance, police and fire were out for a while. Our house was OK but my Uncles house was totaled so about 8 of them moved in with us. It was difficult.

We had to clean up our own stuff and their instantly was a lot of work. People made a lot of money just doing labor. A whole bunch of people from the mainland came and rent went through the roof because many houses were unhabitable and also the influx of people.

People lived on the beach and I heard there was about 1 rape a day which is high for a rural island like ours. 1 little girl was raped and killed but the bastard was caught and his father was already in prison waiting for him.

People in geneeral rose to the occasion and helped eachother out. There were scammers and crooks but for the most part people pulled together. We were out of power for about 2-4 weeks. Phone serves came back slowly and people started buying cellphones which had better service.

The Fire Dept. was like a swiss army knife and did everything from clearing roads to distributing water.

After the infastructure and houses were fixed there was a recession and a lot of people left. It was actually a good time, if you had a job.

What I found interesting is that during the hurrcane all of the neighbors pulled together and talked, after the power came on most people isolated themselves again.

I believe that the people you live with are important to your survival. I think the harder things got the stronger the core group of people would get. The weak would have to leave IMO.
3/7/09 2:03 PM
quick
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the riots to a hurricane! Now that sucks. The worst I had to deal with was two separate hundred year storms over a few year period. Both sucked and both were a little crazy, but we didn't lose any services.
3/8/09 10:32 PM
kanotoa
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it did suck, but I think I became a better person because of it. Stuff like that shows you what you are made of.
3/9/09 2:09 AM
quick
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My older brother actually deployed to help quell the riots when he was in the Marines.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.