UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> My shoulder feels like it's going to dislocate

3/7/09 3:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi all,

I intially posted this on the UG. Sorry, I didn't know what happenned. I openned a new tab looking at the link posted from the shoulder pain after boxing thread. Then when I created a new thread I realised it was posted in the UG o_O??

Anywa two weeks ago, morning after training I realised my right shoulder was acting up. When I try to do anything that involves a strong pulling motion (pulling open a heavy bathroom door, dragging a heavy object, even opening a fridge, etc)) there would be a sharp pain and it feels like the shoulder is going to dislocate. I've had to slightly tighten my right arm closer to my body to use more body movement in doing these type of actions to prevent the pain. I've never had any shoulder dislocations before but it feels like my arm is going to pop out of its socket. I only get the sharp pain in training when I do an uppercut. I've had to make my uppercut more tight and using whole body motion.

I've been training and competing in amateur muay thai for the last 2.5 years. I don't do any weights. I have a 9-5 desk job.

I went to see a Traditional Chinese bonesetter and he said I injured my ligaments/ tendons in the shoulder and they're slightly out of place. He prescribed some simple shoulder/ arm exercises to help recovery and do lots of stretching. But I'd like to get some second opinions here from guys who's had the same problems if possible. So can anyone help or have the same experience?
3/8/09 7:21 PM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had shoulder tendonitis in both shoulders and just had a rotator cuff repair done on the left shoulder.

My tendonitis felt more like what you describe. But that doesn't mean much.

If its strictly a soft tissue injury, that suggests one treatment. Does your bonesetter do myofascial release or other types of sports medicine massage? I strongly suggest having someone who's training in it put their hands on your shoulder and do it if for no other reason than to get blood circulating in there. Shoulders have crappy blood flow and that's why shoulder injuries take forever to resolve.

My right shoulder took 6 months. My left took about 3.

The slightly out of place bit is troubling. Is the joint slightly out of place as well? If so, then you'll need a completely different course of treatment.

I'm not going to bag on traditional Chinese medicine - its kept a whole bunch of Chinese people healthy when Western medicine was as likely to kill you as cure you.

HOWEVER, those days are gone. Western medicine has great machines for looking inside to body to see what's torn, what's damaged etc. I think it might be a good idea to see a sports medicine dr - if for no other reason than to get access to those machines.

Unless your bonesetter can order and read MRIs.

Good luck.
3/10/09 6:46 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks jusczec for the advice. I went to a physio today and seh said it's bicep tendonitis caused by a combination of me holding my mouse at my workstation wrong for the past 1.5 years and my kickboxing training. Other than that it's fine. She gave me some exercises to do to strengthen and stablise the shoulder muscles. I am so glad it's nothing more serious than that.
3/10/09 7:15 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IronMonkey - Thanks jusczec for the advice. I went to a physio today and seh said it's bicep tendonitis caused by a combination of me holding my mouse at my workstation wrong for the past 1.5 years and my kickboxing training. Other than that it's fine. She gave me some exercises to do to strengthen and stablise the shoulder muscles. I am so glad it's nothing more serious than that.

Glad it was nothing worse, however tendonitis just blows.

Do yourself a favor and plan to incorporate those exercises into you weekly routine forever. As a matter of fact, a weight training regimen (which could be as simple a pushups, unweighted squats, crunches and a few plank variations) might not be a bad idea.

The reason being it'll allow you to develop typically weak areas prone to injury. Let me know if you are interested and i can post what i do.

Do they plan to do any massage of your arm to help clear the inflammation?
3/10/09 11:36 AM
Orchid Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

juszczec - 
IronMonkey - Thanks jusczec for the advice. I went to a physio today and seh said it's bicep tendonitis caused by a combination of me holding my mouse at my workstation wrong for the past 1.5 years and my kickboxing training. Other than that it's fine. She gave me some exercises to do to strengthen and stablise the shoulder muscles. I am so glad it's nothing more serious than that.

Glad it was nothing worse, however tendonitis just blows.

Do yourself a favor and plan to incorporate those exercises into you weekly routine forever. As a matter of fact, a weight training regimen (which could be as simple a pushups, unweighted squats, crunches and a few plank variations) might not be a bad idea.

The reason being it'll allow you to develop typically weak areas prone to injury. Let me know if you are interested and i can post what i do.

Do they plan to do any massage of your arm to help clear the inflammation?

I'm pretty sure I have exactly the same thing and probably for the same reason-- no specific injury but lots of hours in front of the computer, doing all kinds of stuff wrong in orthopedic terms.

If anybody can post good exercices for this, that would be great. I tried doing some stuff with resistance bands but that made it worse, possibly because I overdid it.

Then I tried the elephant trunk thing: bent at waist, arm hanging down with very light weight in it, making slow, easy circles and back and forth motions. That seems to be helping but the progress is not dramatic.

Other exercises? Ice? Massage? Do I need to quit boxing for awhile or forever?

Got to get rid of this thing. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
3/10/09 3:37 PM
juszczec

Orchid Man - 

I'm pretty sure I have exactly the same thing and probably for the same reason-- no specific injury but lots of hours in front of the computer, doing all kinds of stuff wrong in orthopedic terms.

have you been to a pt? here's why its important:

soft tissue pain can be felt in one spot, but the cause that needs to be corrected could be in an altogether different spot.

so by performing the exercises you describe, you may be working on the wrong problem.

in addition, posture, previous injury, genetics all can play a part. you need someone who can recognize this kind of thing - and it ain't gonna be you, me or anyone else on the 'net.

on top of that, a good pt will show you how to self treat and they can tell you if you need to increase/decrease the intensity.

massage can be helpful, but you got to identify the right place to massage and it might not be self evident. for example, a buddy of mine broke his neck. during rehab, he would get a splitting pain in his temple when he turned his head to the left.

his pt saw it and said "oh, i can fix that" and started massaging a spot near his collarbone.

my buddy thought she was insane, but after about 5 minutes she said "try it now" and he was able to turn his head without pain in his temple.

you'll be best off if you can get a pt to put their hands on you and see how things feel.
3/10/09 6:20 PM
Orchid Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

juszczec - 
Orchid Man - 

have you been to a pt? here's why its important:

soft tissue pain can be felt in one spot, but the cause that needs to be corrected could be in an altogether different spot.

so by performing the exercises you describe, you may be working on the wrong problem.

in addition, posture, previous injury, genetics all can play a part. you need someone who can recognize this kind of thing - and it ain't gonna be you, me or anyone else on the 'net.

on top of that, a good pt will show you how to self treat and they can tell you if you need to increase/decrease the intensity.

massage can be helpful, but you got to identify the right place to massage and it might not be self evident. for example, a buddy of mine broke his neck. during rehab, he would get a splitting pain in his temple when he turned his head to the left.

his pt saw it and said "oh, i can fix that" and started massaging a spot near his collarbone.

my buddy thought she was insane, but after about 5 minutes she said "try it now" and he was able to turn his head without pain in his temple.

you'll be best off if you can get a pt to put their hands on you and see how things feel.

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice.
3/11/09 1:33 AM
martinburke
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orchid Man, juszczec gave you some good advice. Go see a massage therapist who's trained in orthpædic massage, myofascial release, or structural integration/rolfing.

Sounds like fascial adhesions, and exercises may only give temporary relief. Here's a link that may help explain why it hurts where it hurts:

http://www.anatomytrains.com/uploads/rich_media/AnatomyTrainsOverview.pdf

In particular, scroll down to pg 180, illustrations B and C. I think those may be the main culprits for you. Pectoralis minor is often one of the main instigators, so if you can put some length into those, you may notice your symptoms lessen.

And grab that strap on the outside of your upper arm between the bicep and tricep. That's the lateral intermuscular septum(it's the thin blue line you see running down the upper arm on illustration C). If you can pin that in place while you rotate your upper arm back and forth, you might feel a big difference.
3/11/09 5:13 AM
IronMonkey

juszczec, your recommendations on what to do in a weight training regimen would be great, thanks. I'm already doing a variety of push ups (normal push ups elbows in, clapping push ups, hindu push ups, one arm push ups and hand stand push ups.

The physio massaged my area around my upper back. She said my muscles are tight there and have formed a knot? I could feel the "knot" she was referring to. Should she be massaging it continuously in the future for a speedier recovery?
3/11/09 7:37 AM
juszczec

IronMonkey - juszczec, your recommendations on what to do in a weight training regimen would be great, thanks.

i gotta preface this with - don't do any weight training until you get your pain under control.

what did the pt tell you to do? THAT needs to be your routine until you are pain free.

push ups are supposed to be great for shoulders. imo, if you do nothing but those, you'll be doing youself some good.

beware of one handed push ups till you get everything under control.
they may put a bit more strain on the injured arm than is good for it.

for the bicep - bicep curls.

if ya work the bicep, work the tricep. tricep extensions are good because the don't force you to raise your arms overhead - that's eaier on the rotator cuff. nose breakers are ok too.

lat pulldowns - but grab the bar so your palms face you, make sure your hands are only 1 shoulder width apart and pull the bar down IN FRONT of you head NOT behind.

flys

if you have exercise bands (your pt can hook you up, they buy kilometers of those thinks), there's some exercises with those i can describe.

as to the knot in your shoulder - i can't say. you need to ask the pt as it could be a cause OR a symptom OR both. the pt needs to put their hands on you to figure this all out - only thing i can do is take wild guesses.

as to the knot's treatment - it depends on the cause. if its scar tissue, it needs to be made to relax. that can be done thru massage, stretching, weight training or a combination of those - and the bitch is, without knowing how stuff feels, i can't tell you if you need to treat the knot itself or if you need to treat whatever's causing it.

call your pt and ask - they should be more than willing to talk at length about this.
3/13/09 5:15 AM
IronMonkey

I'm resting my right shoulder for this week on the pt's orders, ie. no exercises, hard movements, etc. Just doing the exercises she prescribed using resistance bands. Going back next week to see her again to check up on how I'm doing.

Thanks for everything juszczec. Your advice is great!
3/13/09 6:51 AM
juszczec

IronMonkey

sounds like you've got the right idea. only thing i can add is ice and Advil (or something with ibuprofen in it)

the decrease inflammation. i understand this reduces pain, but it may promote healing - although i've never gotten an understandable answer why.

Thanks for everything juszczec. Your advice is great!

thanks. i learned all this stuff the hard way (hurt myself, kept going till it go unlivable, spent months rehabbing and talking to pts)

if i can help anyone get better faster or spare themselves pain/long recovery, then its a good thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.