UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about GUNS

3/9/09 2:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NICK MANNING
659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking to get a gun for defense (at home and at the restaurant I work at).

I would like to know the basics, such as:

-Ideal caliber
-Good manufacturers
-Price range for guns and ammo

I think there are a couple Mainers on here, so if you could tell me about Maine laws, concealed weapons permits, dealers, ranges, etc., that would be awesome.

Thanks
3/9/09 10:48 AM
NICK MANNING
659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks KVR, I will have to check out Howell's.

And no, we don't carry beer at restaurant. That seems like an odd law.
3/9/09 3:33 PM
kanotoa
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hawaii has the worst gun laws in the country. There is no CCW permits that are granted.

One day a known gambler was drving home in his pick up and everyone knew he had money. A couple of kids chased him in his truck and shot it up, he was forced off the road. The kids got out and walked to his truck. He pulled out an auto .22 pistol and shot 3-5 rounds before it jammed because he also loaded .25 in it. He hit one kid and the rest grabbed their friend and ran away. Under Hawaii law the man who defended himself should have been arrested for carrying a loaded weapon. Luckily the police and the chief were reasonable, they could see the bullet holes in the car and didn't press charges and they even gave the man his gun back. With our ultra liberal politicians I don't know if you would always get off or if things would have been different if he had killed some of them.
3/9/09 9:17 PM
ClayK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As stated, find a range that has multiple guns that you can rent to test out. Everyone has an OPINION on what the perfect weapon is. The truth is, the best gun is the one that you KNOW how to use and have access to. Even a .17 or .22 is better than throwing rocks or fists.

Once you decide on one, get to the range a lot. Know that gun inside and out. It should be an extension of your body and not something you just carry.
3/9/09 9:30 PM
Link

Hi Nick,

If you are in Maine then I highly suggest that you take a basic handgun class at Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, NH.

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/

You can use their guns and try them out. Sigs are nice guns and the guys that teach at the school are very knowledgeable. I have taken quite a few of the classes and highly recommend them.

Good luck
3/9/09 11:05 PM
NICK MANNING

Thanks for the replies.
3/11/09 9:13 PM
gregbrady
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kanotoa - Hawaii has the worst gun laws in the country. There is no CCW permits that are granted.

One day a known gambler was drving home in his pick up and everyone knew he had money. A couple of kids chased him in his truck and shot it up, he was forced off the road. The kids got out and walked to his truck. He pulled out an auto .22 pistol and shot 3-5 rounds before it jammed because he also loaded .25 in it. He hit one kid and the rest grabbed their friend and ran away. Under Hawaii law the man who defended himself should have been arrested for carrying a loaded weapon. Luckily the police and the chief were reasonable, they could see the bullet holes in the car and didn't press charges and they even gave the man his gun back. With our ultra liberal politicians I don't know if you would always get off or if things would have been different if he had killed some of them.

Wow that's a shitty law. At least the police were reasonable. Here in CO anyone that's allowed to own a gun can have a loaded pistol in their car even without a CCW permit. Very low crime here too.
4/7/09 3:59 PM
VectorWega

What is the best way of getting guns "under the table?"  What kind of markup do you see on purchasing guns this way as opposed to in a store?
4/9/09 2:18 PM
Chilito

Here's the basics:

They have a bore-diameter of 30mm or greater, and they arent really great for home defense.
4/9/09 2:36 PM
armlok
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VectorWega -  What is the best way of getting guns "under the table?"  What kind of markup do you see on purchasing guns this way as opposed to in a store?

various states do not regulate private purchases/transfers....I would however recommend checking the serial number to insure it's not stolen unless you can trust the source. Price is up to the seller.
4/9/09 4:29 PM
VectorWega

armlok - 
VectorWega -  What is the best way of getting guns "under the table?"  What kind of markup do you see on purchasing guns this way as opposed to in a store?

various states do not regulate private purchases/transfers....I would however recommend checking the serial number to insure it's not stolen unless you can trust the source. Price is up to the seller.

I live in TX and it appears they do an FBI NCIS background check.  Do they track what guns (or type of guns) I purchased?  Are people supposed to have their guns "registered" ?

Also, i read that it's more difficult to purchase handguns then rifles/shotguns.  Any information clarifying this would be very useful.  Thanks.
4/10/09 4:45 AM
armlok
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haven't been in texas for 10 years so......

Last I was there, dealer purchase is instant check for longguns, don't recall private purchase. Arizona (mid 90s) private purchase was unregulated. You could go to gunshows (non-ffl)sellers or buy from private parties wherever with cash and carry.

I'm sure a call to the local PD or PD website could easily turn up state requirements.

internet being a shitty source of info.
4/26/09 5:07 PM
MountainMedic
537 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imo, a shotgun is the best for home defense.

the sound alone sets the tone...

do not need to spend thousands of hours on the range to become proficient

lots of options for load types

less hassle than explaining a handgun in some regions

i have a defender in my closet. best $200 i ever spent.-MM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.