UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> getting hired

3/10/09 4:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SPROUT
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm applying for a few different depts right now and i was just wondering what kind of things they looks for? I actually got hired by a PD 2 years ago and turned them down because I was 21 and wanted to finish college first. Now I've got my Poly Sci degree with a CJ minor and want hired somewhere.
One thing I was wondering...i've been a bouncer for years and I think that helps out a lot..I deal with same butt heads cops have to..lots of times I have to deal with more because I don't have the respect. Should I talk much about this? I was never the beat the shit outta people bouncer..always tried to calm people down nicely..but I know some cops look at bouncers negatively...cause some of the bouncers I've worked with were shit head trouble makers themselves. SPROUT
4/10/09 2:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Machine250
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Late response but maybe you will see this. Remember that usually the people doing the hiring (i.e a police and fire commission) are not police. They do not have the same persepective as a street copper. They want p.c tactful answers from you. If you talk about your work as a bouncer, as fine as I'm sure you performed, make SURE you highlight just what you stated in your post. You viewed you job as one of conflict resolution. Don't spend a lot of time on it.

And once you get hired, don't talk a lot about it until you know the guys on the street. They will view you as a blowhard braggart. Nothing worse than a FNG who wants to tell you war stories. Good luck.

(p.s. Have yet to meet a long time copper who didnt say he wished he was firefighter instead of a cop. Less people suing you.)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.