UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Take the Bar without Bar Bri?

3/10/09 11:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyBoy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/09 11:42 PM

I just sent in my application to take the California Bar Exam this summer...my question is did any of you take the bar exam without doing a bar bri prep course?  Some people I talk to say its nuts...others say its the way to go if you have the disiplne to sit down everyday and do the work. 

I dont have an extra 3 grand to shell out...and who knows if any bank will give a bar loan right now...

So what say you legalground?

3/11/09 10:17 AM
Steve72
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took (and passed)  the PA bar without taking  a class, but I had passed the Mass bar a year earlier, and the multistate stuff was somewhat fresh in my mind.  I borrowed a copy of a coworkers outline for the state essays and used that.

Of course, I'm a freaking superdupergenius.  YMMV.

If you've got any doubt, take the class.  It's less expensive and time consuming in the long run.
3/11/09 11:01 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took Bar Bri for the FL bar exam and took Micromash for the NC bar exam. Micromash requires more dicipline because you have to sit down and study on your own time.
3/11/09 3:37 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

similar to steve i passed the NV bar without taking a class after i passed the ca bar a year earlier..

the class is only necessary if you need someone to put you on a study path...there really is very very little advantage in terms of substantive knowledge with respect to attending classess...everything in the class is in the books
3/11/09 4:00 PM
goku

oh...and i assume that you mean your choice is between buying books v. going to class

if you are even contemplating not buying books you shouldnt even take the exam and try instead to become an mma agent
3/11/09 5:06 PM
PrettyBoy
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes the alternative is just buying all the bar bri material online for like 450 - which is way cheeper than 3 grand
3/11/09 5:07 PM
PrettyBoy

but im LMAO about the MMA agent line
3/13/09 12:18 AM
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took the Bar Bri class for the Nevada bar, and I passed.  Next, I took the California bar by reading the Bar Bri books (the weekend before the exam), and I passed.  Next, I took the South Carolina bar by reading the only study guides that SC has, along with the Multistate Bar Bri books, and I passed.  Next, I took the North Carolina bar by reading the Bar Bri books, and I passed.  I'm hoping I will never read the Bar Bri books again.

So, no, you don't need to take the damn class to pass. I think it's a waste of time, personally.  Of course, like Steve and Goku, I'm one of those aforementioned superdupergenius types.
3/13/09 2:30 AM
Bunkou

Never took the class. Passed the Hawaii bar first try. Laughed at all the people that paid too much and stressed too much.
3/13/09 10:51 AM
Fake Pie
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As has been said, the books will have all the same information that the classes do. The software is great for the MBE.

The benefit of the classes, as has been said, is that it forced you onto the study schedule, which was necessary for me. I am a very lazy studier. I never outlined in school, I just crammed for a night or two before an exam.

I didn't do the review and outline shit that barbri says you should do, I just went to class, took notes, read practice questions and answers and did the software for the MBE. I reread all of the course outlines with my notes the week before the exam and I was fine.

So, I think the books would be fine but I would be worried about making myself study.
3/17/09 3:04 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/17/09 3:05 PM
I took and passed the CA baby bar and the CA bar exam without taking any review courses. I read multiple outlines, including Barbari, and I made my own study outlines using all of them.

I did not find the substantive part of the CA bar exam very hard at all. The time factor makes it hard. You need to be able to read, think, outline, and get it on paper fast...and you need to be on top of your game for all 3 days.

After you learn basic black letter law from your outlines, the best use of your time is to pracice writing exams, PTs, and multis under time pressure.

If you are interested, I will sell you all the outlines, tapes, practice exams, etc dirt cheap.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.