UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Don't Screw Up Your Interval Training

3/11/09 9:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wiggy
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/09 10:20 AM

Interval training (aka - HIIT) is becoming more and more popular at the expense of aerobic training (aka - LSD - Long Slow Distance).  I don't think this is completely warranted, but that's another topic.

Anyway, even though a lot of people are doing interval training, they're shooting themselves in the foot b/c they don't do it correctly.

I recently had an article published at MMA Weekly about it, and posted a video on it as well.

Hope y'all can find them useful.

http://www.workingclassfitness.com/intervaltraining.shtml

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8354&zoneid=3

Wiggy

(edited to fix link)
3/11/09 9:42 AM
Bluegrass
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/09 9:44 AM
 Thanks Wiggy.

I use HIIT 2-3 times a week and it destroys me!  I usually do it in the AM and that is the only workout I do for the day.   I recently started rotating exercises for each set.  Is there a drawback to this?  Does it make sense to concentrate on one part of the body each time, or switch it around?  Here is what I do now:

Warmup - AirDyne Bike 5 minutes - difficulty 7

Jump Rope - 3 minutes - difficulty 3
Jump Rope - 1 minute - difficulty 10

Tredmill - 3 minutes - difficulty 2-3
Tredmill - 1 minute - difficulty 10

AirDyne Bike - 3 minutes - diffculty 2-3
AirDyne Bike - 1 minute - difficulty 10

Jump Rope - 3 minutes - difficulty 3
Jump Rope - 1 minute - difficulty 10

Tredmill - 3 minutes - difficulty 2-3
Tredmill - 1 minute - difficulty 10

AirDyne Bike - 3 minutes - difficulty 2-3
AirDyne Bike - 1 minute - difficulty 10

Cool Down - AirDyne Bike - 5 minut

A little over 30 minutes, and I'm dead.  I use a GymBoss to keep time and rotate between exercises quickly.  It's crazy how hot the core of my body feels on HIIT days!

3/11/09 9:47 AM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good article
3/11/09 10:06 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/11/09 10:07 AM
Not to dispute any of this 'here's how you should train', but what about phased training, trying different things and actually tracking and plotting your response to the training? If you don't have a coach and you don't track your own response to training, you can't see the big picture of how you respond.

To me, you should have a HIT phase, a long steady distance phase, and sport specific phase. We need to turn strength into power (which is explosive movements) -with feedback- (a force plate with guage, for example). We need to turn stuff we know in drills into stuff we can do during the fight.

One reason I say this (what you do is less important than when you do it - phased- ) is that some people get really good results with training that logically seems incapable of producing such effects (and vice versa).

$.02

3/11/09 10:13 AM
Jon Murphy

You forgot an 's' in the first link.  Fixed it for you:  http://www.workingclassfitness.com/intervaltraining.shtml
3/11/09 10:17 AM
Wiggy
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bluegrass,

Looks good - as long as you're working as hard as you can and getting your heart-rate as high as you can during those activities, then you're doing it right.

Widespread Panic,

I agree with what you're saying. But at the same time, you have to be performing each method correctly in order to properly assess how you respond to it.

Let's say everybody was telling you that 5x5 was the best way to build strength, yet you thought you could do it with 3x8.

If you went out and did a 5x5 with your 3x8 weights (which should be too light), then you wouldn't get an accurate picture of just what you could do on a 'true' 5x5 program.

Same goes for HIIT.

If you think you can get good results from plain old aerobic training, that's one thing. But if you're doing your HIIT at an intensity level that's not going to illicit the response that HIIT is supposed to, than you don't have accurate data to assess for yourself.

I see a lot of people toss Tabata intervals (warm up, 20 secs on, 10 secs off x 8 rounds, cool down) with all kinds of different exercises. If you had two people doing Tabata intervals, and one guy was doing Tabatas on a concept 2 rower, air dyne, or running, and the other guy was doing Tabata pullups (which I've seen before), do you think they're going to get data/feedback that they could honestly compare on a same level with each other? No way. Something like Tabata pullups is stupid and should never really be done (at least for conditioning) by probably 99% (or more) of trainees.

That is what I'm saying. I'm not saying you should be doing intervals over or instead of LSD. I'm saying make sure you do your intervals correctly.

Wiggy
3/11/09 10:18 AM
Wiggy

Jon Murphy -  You forgot an 's' in the first link.  Fixed it for you:  http://www.workingclassfitness.com/intervaltraining.shtml

Shit - thanks Jon!
3/11/09 10:27 AM
Jon Murphy

Edited: 03/11/09 10:35 AM
Wiggy - 
Jon Murphy -  You forgot an 's' in the first link.  Fixed it for you:  http://www.workingclassfitness.com/intervaltraining.shtml

Shit - thanks Jon!

No prob. Good article! What are your thoughts on using intervals (i.e. Taku's protocol) and MSD/LSD interchangeably (as opposed to building up to intervals through LSD (i.e. developing aerobic capacity and then doing intervals))?

I understand that if you don't have the aerobic power (your heart not being able pump enough oxygen to the muscles), you'll burn out quickly with interval training. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it? Thanks...
3/11/09 10:37 AM
Wiggy

I think basic aerobic training is still valid and should be a part of any program (depending on where you're at in the program, of course).

Sometimes it kind of depends on the workouts themselves. For example, the way Taku has his intervals setup, there is still a large aerobic training part of that program that aerobic training in and of itself isn't as necessary.

However, if you were doing tabatas as I described them above, then it wouldn't hurt to find a way to work aerobic training into the mix somehow.

Wiggy
3/11/09 10:58 AM
Jon Murphy

Thanks Wiggy. I've always liked doing both concomitantly. Not same day of course, but interchangeably. I also love the 'feeling' after a good MSD/LSD run. Thanks again Wiggy...

Oh, and I wanna pick your brain. I think you may have touched on this in an earlier post I made. What is/are a good interval modality to use with the Battling Ropes system?

I've got a 50-footer of both the 1.5" thickness and 2" thickness (actually I have two of both and I was thinking of a great ass-busting workout where I'll setup 50-foot of each 1.5" rope around each of the two goal posts on a football field, bust out a hard 30 sec. to 1 min. on one rope, sprint to the other rope, bust out another 30 sec. to 1 min. and do this continually for 5 min rounds, rest a minute and repeat, but that's another story, haha!!)

Back on point, what's your thoughts on a good protocol for the ropes? And I have to state that there is a HUGE difference in my ability to handle the 1.5" and the Anaconda or 2" rope. I can maintain a hard pace with the 1.5", but the 2" whoops my ass after about HARD 30 to 45 seconds. Thanks Wiggy...
3/11/09 11:04 AM
SeanQuinn

l8r
3/11/09 11:06 AM
KneeToFaceKo

thanks Wiggy!
3/11/09 11:24 AM
iceman420

Wiggy,

Regarding Taku's interval program, everyone says you're supposed to do his intervals at 100%. However, the program starts at 90s intervals with 90s rest. Are you *really* supposed to do the whole 90s interval at 100% effort for the whole 90 seconds? I have found that that is damn near impossible, whereas doing the shorter intervals with equal work/rest ratio (say 30s/30s) is much more doable (altough extremely hard, obviously). If I try to do a true 100% effort 90s interval, i can last about 20 - 30s at a sprint speed but then i quickly deteriorate into a what ends up being a slow jog toward the end of the 90s interval, and i am so spent at the end of it that i can't continue. Is this expected?
3/11/09 11:36 AM
canuck34
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"whole 90s interval at 100% effort for the whole 90 seconds?"

By 100% he means "as hard as you can possibly go" for 90 seconds. That will not be the same as as hard as you can possibly go for 10 seconds. If the hardest you can possibly go after 20 seconds is a jog...then just make sure that you are jogging as fast as your body will allow and not resting at all. If you think you can only jog at 5 mph but really you could still be going 7mph, then you are just cheating yourself.
3/11/09 11:38 AM
Mako_
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tag
3/11/09 11:39 AM
paw
1175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/11/09 11:43 AM
iceman420

canuck34 - "whole 90s interval at 100% effort for the whole 90 seconds?"

By 100% he means "as hard as you can possibly go" for 90 seconds. That will not be the same as as hard as you can possibly go for 10 seconds. If the hardest you can possibly go after 20 seconds is a jog...then just make sure that you are jogging as fast as your body will allow and not resting at all. If you think you can only jog at 5 mph but really you could still be going 7mph, then you are just cheating yourself.

This is precisely my question though. If you go as hard as you can possibly go for 90 seconds, then the first 20 seconds of that IS just as hard as a 20s interval, but then you have 70s left of 100% effort left!! If, instead, you go at a slower pace at the beginning such that, at the end of the 90s interval you are completely spent, is that fine? Because in that case, you wouldn't really be going 100% effort at the beginning.
3/11/09 12:17 PM
studiocamp
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later
3/11/09 12:35 PM
Jon Murphy

ttt
3/11/09 1:31 PM
Tap21
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like ego is the best tool to keep yourself up near 100% on each interval.

On my high school 400m sprint team, we always did 300m intervals in packs of like 4-7 or so. Everybody pretty much knew where they were supposed to finish in that pack. The coach was always watching. If you normally finished in the top three, everybody noticed (including the coach) if you finished in the bottom three on any particular interval. If you consistently finished poorly in any given workout, there was always the looming specter of being bumped down a few heats at the next meet in place of the guys below you. This made everybody work up near 100% every time. Very grueling but effective.

I personally can't see most people being able to work as hard deep in an interval session without some form of this pack hierarchy/ego battle enforcement mechanism.
3/11/09 1:54 PM
Pooh

I don't see discussion on the recovery aspect of interval training being raised. I thought the key part of interval training was teaching your body to recover quickly. The interval training we did in track was always 1/4 recovery period for the distance we went hard (1-mile on with 1/4 mile recovery or 1/4 mile on with 110 yards recovery).

The focus was to get your breathing back down and relax your body as much as possible during the recovery period.

This is important for MMA training because the faster you can recover during those moments when you get a breather allows you to feel more comfortable about pushing the limit when you need to go hard.
3/11/09 2:20 PM
TwinkieTheKid
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later
3/11/09 2:49 PM
Kmonk
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/11/09 3:15 PM
EasyTapper
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing intervals, but using HR as a measure. Since I do mine on a treadmill, I don't want to take a chance on getting "judod" by the treadmill by going as fast as possible.
3/11/09 3:17 PM
Jason Tornado

You have to adjust, he even says in the instruction your pace at 90 seconds will not be the same pace as 30 seconds, you have to push as hard as you can for 90 seconds, you don't run your all out sprint speed but you maintian a pace that after 90 seconds you can't go anymore

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.