UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Took my wife shooting last week.

3/12/09 6:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been talking to my wife about my concerns about the economy and crime. She used to think I was nuts, she still does, but she is open to learning to handle a gun. I am gone for days sometime and I voiced my concern over her being alone.

We went to the rifle range last weekend because it was raining so hard here for so long and the day seemed sunny. The only rifle range on my island is way up the mountains and when we got there it was raining. We waited for the rain to stop and she shot a few rounds from the 12 gauge before it started raining again.

Her arms are too short to shoulder the shotgun but I bought her some personal defense managed recoil rounds that she can shoot from the hip like Ma in the country. She commented on how loud the gun was.

I told her to rack the gun hard because she sort of just slides it and the rounds may not eject. I also told her that if she racks it strong it shows the intruder she is confident in using the gun. I heard a lot of stories of harden criminals turning into cowards when they hear that shotgun rack.

I mounted a flashlight on it for nighttime and it looks like a pretty good killing machine, hopefully people will see it and leave.

I'll have her shoot the Glock the next day but I think I will get her a 38 or 32 revolver instead.
3/12/09 7:14 PM
kanotoa
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would a shotgun collapsible stock and a forend handle help or should she just shoot from the hip?
3/12/09 8:55 PM
kanotoa

Edited: 03/12/09 8:55 PM
I bought that managed recoil rounds seem to have the same recoil as bird shot but I think it is a more powerful round (I think it is #2 shot compaired with 8).

It is more expensive but worth the price IMO.

You are right about the close quarters damage. Bird shot at < 10 yards would almost be like a slug hitting you. I still think the main reason for the shotgun is the intimidation factor. You would have to be a complete Meth zombie to try and fuck with a lady with a 12 gauge.

Would a folding stock be better than a collasable stock?

3/12/09 10:46 PM
armlok
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cut the stock so it has the proper LOP.A collaspsable stock might work if it adjusts down for her.

Teach her to ride the recoil for her ejection. Get her to shoot alot using the cheapest bird loads you can find and then work her way up to heavier loads. #5 high brass loads are good close range loads. I like sidesaddle with slugs on call.

Shooting from the hip is mostly a waste because novices arn't trained enough to turn their bodies with their head as one unit so if she ever had to shoot an actual person who moved she'd likely miss.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.