UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Thinking of getting a farm hand

3/13/09 2:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been thinking about getting a farm hand for several reasons.

I don't really have good gardening skills. I could learn but I don't have to motivation to cultivate a 1/2 acre plot. I have fruit trees already that I care for. I want to raise animals too like chickens and rabbits, the farm hand could care for them when I'm not home.

There are lots of times when nobody is home. A farm hand could help me look after my house and possessions when I'm not home. Robbers here almost never rob when someone is home, if things got worse I'd put a shotgun to the farm hand.

I have limited handyman skills. i figure the farm hand could help me with projects.

I have thought of some of the cons to the idea: The farm hand could rob me, the farm hand could kill me like this one guy did on our island, he might bring undesirable people to my house.

I would do my best to make sure that anyone living on my property was honest, stable and loyal. In exchange the farm hand would get a free place to live, he could sell vegetables and fruit for money (if the SHTF we would have an understanding that all food stayed on property), and I would pay him for additional work I had him do. I might even pay him a little. I think this is a very fair deal because rent is very high here and you can't buy a farm unless you are fucking rich, you could lease land and try to live on it I guess but that land can be taken away anytime.

I also wonder if my land could support 3 adults and one child. Land is very fertile here and the climate is excellent, I guess we could squeeze about 3/4 of an acre of farm land if we needed to.
3/13/09 2:52 PM
kanotoa
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to set the farm hand away from my house so we both could have privacy. I was actually thinking of putting him in a converted shipping container. This may seem mean but they can be very nice if you spruce them up. His power would be from PV, he could tap into my solar hot water and internet.
3/13/09 4:43 PM
armlok
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if I was single, id be there!!!

I could hunt anytime, shoot and I'm somewhat familiar with small plot farming and used to be a industrial elctrician apprentice 20 years ago.

I guess would have to put up with the crazy landlord prepping for Ragnarok always bothering me to teach him how to shoot and just gotta find wimmins to bring back to my shipping container house......:P

Paradise!
3/13/09 8:15 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kanotoa, how about checking and seeing if the college has agriculture program? I know Maui has one, but anyway maybe you can find some young agriculture student to come out and work the land?
3/14/09 2:59 PM
kanotoa

Yeah I am thinking of a lot of options. What is most important is the persons character. Still got to talk to the wife about the plan, I mentioned it to her.
3/23/09 1:51 PM
kanotoa

My cousin might be working the land as part of his masters education, that might be a bit later however.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.