UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Swollen Patella Tendon Questions

3/16/09 4:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThaRide
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the tendon(?) below the patella and the lower leg had swollen. It doesnt bother me during any normal activity or even most grappling / Thai training (Unless it is kicked directly). It usually only hurts when I kneel directly on it or am doing any exercise in which is fully bent (duck walk, squat, getting up from a sitting position). I have read that the rehab should be rest, anti-inflammatories (Advil) and ice. My question is if I am taking a few weeks off to recover, what good does ice do if it is no longer swelling? Wouldnt heat be a better treatment to increase blood flow to the area to facilitate healing?
3/17/09 4:15 AM
JasonE

You need to move the area, exercising the muscles above and below the joint. This is something to do prior to your workouts and again afterwards, and again on your days off. Movement is a great way to keep things moving and help keep inflammation down.

Alternate hot and cold packs. Cold 15 minutes, hot 15 minutes, alternate 2-4 times, end with cold. This is great for increasing circulation while minimizing inflammation.

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
7/1/09 10:38 AM
bee rad

How do you exercise the area below the knee?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.