Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.alabamagrappling.com 

You can pre register and see the rules!
3/16/09 9:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri

I will also be posting the major AGA sponsors, including Spartan Fitness, Southern BJJ, and the Jax State Judo Club.
3/17/09 4:23 PM
BlazerinTraining

I'm having trouble getting the website to come up
3/17/09 5:40 PM
Hiza Geri

Try it now.
3/17/09 5:41 PM
Hiza Geri

www.alabamagrappling.com 
3/20/09 5:57 PM
FCFBlazer
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/23/09 4:53 PM
Josh J

How will the team scoring be done? Will it be done the same as Samuel's or will it be done in a way so that a team can't win simply by flooding the event with people?
3/23/09 6:15 PM
Josh J

It's a serious question. At samuels competitions there were so many of his students in it that many of them would get 2nd or 3rd by default due to there not being enough people in their division. That would count toward the team rankings. I'm just wondering if Hiza has thought up a better way to do it or if it would be done the same.
3/23/09 11:02 PM
Josh J

Different medals to give more points, that you don't know that shows that you are a white white white white belt. Samuel gives 3 points for first, 2 for second, and 1 for third.

You could take the total points and divide it by the number of people that school had entered. That way you come up with a point average per student for each school. It would be unfair for one school to enter one person and him win first becaue no school could out score them then, so you could have a minimum number of people a school must enter to be considered in the team rankings.
3/24/09 6:07 AM
Josh J

Edited: 03/24/09 6:07 AM
We don't know that I wouldn't tap Adrien with ease now. You are just talking crap because it's all you got. Crap talk means nothing. If you ever come up to Triad, or if I ever come down to Spartan we can spar then. Then, your crap talk will actually mean something. Right now it just makes you sound like an upset 15 year old.

By the way, nice post edit.
3/24/09 7:26 AM
Hiza Geri

The method for determining personal AND team rankings is in the rules, posted on the website.

Right now, the AGA has fewer weight classes, which cuts down on "flooding". The scoring system is also "tiered".

However, the bottom line at any meet is always, "how many showed up and made it into the top 3".
3/24/09 9:26 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the Josh J versus Josh G battle rages on!
3/24/09 1:41 PM
Hiza Geri

Another thing about team trophies:

Part of the criteria (inherent in the manner of team scoring) for a "top team" is that they get students out to compete. The more competitors, the more chances for placing and for points. If you send out 2 people, even if they win 1st in their divisions, you DO NOT have a "top team". You have 2 competitors who were tops in their divisions at that specific meet.

To be honest, there were comments by some Spartan folks after Samuel's first tournament about this issue. Fact is, Spartan did not get out the number of competitors that they could have fielded (for whatever reason, it doesn't matter).

You want the "Team Trophy"? Get your TEAM out there...
3/24/09 4:40 PM
Josh J

Some teams are from smaller towns and simply can not put out the aount of people needed to win a team trophy. Only schools from places like B'ham or Huntsville will ever have a chance for the team trophy. It also gives teams local to the event an advantage. That's why I suggested coming up with an average per team member with a minimum number of members present to be considered a team (10?).

This is the system that everyone uses though, so I can't really complain. I just remember that it annoyed a lot of people the way Samuel did it. I was just wondering if you had decided to do anything different.
3/24/09 6:19 PM
Hiza Geri

Your initial assumptions are incorrect. Do you think that Spartan and Samuel's gyms have just a crap load of people? And of those people, how many do you think actually step on the mat. Now, if you came from a really small town or had less than 15 people, you might be correct, but I then point to my last post.

Also, this is not the same system. Read the rules and then ask me a question.
3/24/09 6:39 PM
Josh J

Dude, do you have to be such a smartass about it?

What have I assumed? I know Samuel's gym had a crap load of people. I have no clue how many people Spartan has.

Are you going to be like this every time someone has a question about the AGA? When I asked what the board members responsibilities were I got a similarly smartass answer. I had wanted to ask someone if they would want to be nominated, but after the answer you gave me all I had to give them was "uhh...attend board meetings", which doesn't really give them any idea of what is expected of them.

I've read the website, but it's not organized very well and it doesn't seem to be updated. It still has the original date for the tournament on it. What's wrong with asking you questions here?
3/24/09 6:52 PM
Josh J

Maybe I'm just blind, but after going back and looking again I still can't find the explanation of the team rankings on the website.
3/24/09 9:54 PM
MOWA Outlaw

I just checked & couldn't find any info either. My vision is bad though so that might be why.

Hiza - You know there was some serious bias @ Samuel's tournaments. That doesn't mean that the AGA will be the same, but it's understandable that some people are iffy.
3/24/09 10:18 PM
Hiza Geri

If you think I'm being a smartass, consider the following:

1. You've already stated you don't think the assoc. will last, after our last conversation. You and others also stated you wouldn't be a part of the fun, and that NAGA was the only option for you, as the best talent in the SE would be there.

2. This was AFTER you and others decided to air conspiracy theories about the AGA being a Spartan plot (which kinda pissed off the other schools...)

3. I find it hard to believe that, having read the rules, it would be so hard to figure out (though it could be written a little easier... I lifted it directly from the USA Wrestling rules).

4. Whomever has questions can actually call me, as I have stated on numerous occasions. You seem to be the only one posting your questions here. Why.

To be blunt, I think, considering the history, that you are just taking pot shots and trying to stir up crap. Since you have never called or emailed me, it makes my assumption even more valid. There is no problem in asking questions here, except that YOU have already said you didn't want to be a part of it.

However, on the off chance, briefly:
Points are given for each match win, points determined by the manner of the win. You choke em out, more points than if you just win by points. Points are given to "losers" who don't get skunked. If you and your teammates dominate the brackets, you get more points, your team gets more points, the larger the chances of getting the team trophy and having your school ranked higher. This is all in the rules. It is not on the rankings page.

Not all the information is on the website, especially concerning the voting and floating board member. I was trying to scramble and just get it up, and the info out on the tournament. The date is not updated, hopefully tomorrow we will have everything concrete. As far as board member responsibilities, you go to meetings, you vote on business, you bring business up before the board, you help run stuff.

Again, you (or anyone else) is welcome to call. If you think I'm too mean, call James Srygley. For a chief of police, he's pretty nice... www.southernbjj.com

If you really are asking questions because you are wanting to be a part of it, cool. I would however, considering the aforementioned, contact me directly so we can get the silliness behind us. Otherwise, you just seem like a pain in the butt.
3/24/09 11:12 PM
Josh J

1. I never said I didn't think the organization would last nor did I say that I wouldn't be attending. Me and several others are actually considering attending. That's part of the reason I'm asking so many questions. It being a new organization, people are of course skeptical. They have questions. I am attempting to answer them in attempts to get them to attend. You are making that difficult.

2. I did say that it was starting to look like the AGA was something you and the members of this message board came up with together. Anyone who reads this board would. That's just how it looks to a lot of people. That isn't my fault.

3. I've never read the USA wrestling rules. Most people haven't. There is no mention of how the team scoring will be done on the website. You can't blame people for asking questions, especially if you are wanting them to give you money and join your organization.

4. I'm posting my questions here because you are heavily promoting the AGA here. This is the only place I see you posting anything about it. In another thread you specifically told me to post any questions or comments here. There are half a dozen thread about the AGA on the first page of this forum alone. It seems pretty obvious that you don't mind talking about it here. Besides, if I have these questions I'm sure others will as well. To me it would make sense to answer them in public.

I've never said I didn't want to be a part of the AGA. I just said that I was becoming skeptical after initially being very excited about it. That was primarily due to YOUR comments. My posts, questions and comments about the AGA have been sincere since the beginning. I've gone out of my way to help promote the AGA and to try to get people to attend. You can ask anyone at Triad about that. You've done nothing but make that difficult by giving me vague or sarcastic answers. People ask me questions about it, I ask you, then I have to tell them that you wouldn't give a real answer and they are in turn even more skeptical of the AGA then they were. As for the question about the board member, anyone who would possibly be nominated would want to know how much of their time this would take, how often the meetings were, where they were, etc.

I've never called you because I haven't seen a need to. It seemed to me that even you would prefer to discuss this on this forum. It also makes it easier to copy and paste the information to people via e-mail. If you consider my questions or comments a pain in the butt then I will gladly drop it and never mention the AGA again. I was honestly only trying to help get this thing going. People are going to want to ask you questions, especially until the website is up and current.
3/24/09 11:39 PM
triad35055

I said most of the stuff that you're blaming Josh J. for and your last post has assured me that I have made the right choice. Very unprofessional, sir.
3/25/09 12:14 AM
maxcady

Edited: 03/25/09 12:19 AM
fair point
3/25/09 12:18 AM
maxcady

Edited: 03/25/09 12:22 AM
triad35055 - I said most of the stuff that you're blaming Josh J. for and your last post has assured me that I have made the right choice. Very unprofessional, sir.

while reading that last response i thought he is confusing triad35055 comments with Josh J

Josh J seems like an innocent new guy guilty of thinking his school is the only one on the planet. that is typical of a new guy but overall not a bad guy

triad35055 on the other hand just seems like your typical guy with about 3-5 years experience that is suffering from the big fish in the little pond syndrome.

With this type of guy it is usually sad but entertaining to watch when he gets trashed once he faces decent competition from a slightly larger pond.

Parents and girlfriend/boyfriend typically cry, friends talk about how their friend was robbed.

Depending on this type of persons character he usually either quits or gets better, but realizes his place is not at the top of the fight game.

although Triad35055 does have some good points and questions about the AGA that warrant a sincere answer.
3/25/09 12:20 AM
maxcady

maxcady - triad35055 - I said most of the stuff that you're blaming Josh J. for and your last post has assured me that I have made the right choice. Very unprofessional, sir.

while reading that last response i thought he is confusing triad35055 comments with Josh J

Josh J seems like an innocent new guy guilty of thinking his school is the only one on the planet. that is typical of a new guy but overall not a bad guy

triad35055 on the other hand just seems like your typical guy with about 3-5 years experience that is suffering from the big fish in the little pond syndrome. With this type of character it is usually sad but entertaining to watch when he gets trashed once he faces decent competition from a slightly larger pond.

Parents and girlfriend/boyfriend typically cry, friends talk about how their friend was robbed.

Depending on this type of persons character he usually either quits or gets better, but realizes his place is not at the top of the fight game.

although Triad35055 does have some good points and questions about the AGA that warrant a sincere answer.
3/25/09 1:24 AM
sbjjstreetcop

SECTION ONE – GENERAL RULES
Philosophy
Grappling is a hybrid sport formed of wrestling and jujitsu whose art consists in
forcing the opponent to admit he/she cannot escape the maneuver without harm.
The AGA feels that it is honorable for an athlete to accept his/her own defeat.
However, the grapplers must be properly informed of the correct actions and
reactions to adopt in the various submission situations. In accordance with the
general philosophy of sport, the grapplers are required to honor the values of
sportsmanship and fair play and they shall never intentionally injure a fellow
sportsman in competition.
Sanitary conditions
Athletes knowingly infected with the HIV/HBV virus are prohibited from
participating in grappling competitions. Medical staff knowingly infected with the
same virus are prohibited from administering healthcare to bleeding grapplers.
Athletes who have ringworm, staph infection, or any other type of skin
lesion/rash/infection are prohibited from participating in grappling competitions.
Athletes with open cuts or sores/lesions may be prohibited from competing, as
well. You must make your condition known to AGA staff for evaluation. Failure
to advise the AGA of your condition may result in disqualification or any other
action the AGA determines best.
Injury and Blood time
The referee must stop the match and call for injury time if a grappler is
temporarily injured due to an incidental blow (i.e. eye poke, head collision, etc). If
the athlete is injured due to the strain and damage of legal competition, they
cannot use injury/blood time to stop the match. Injury/blood time per match
cannot exceed 3 minutes per athlete. If the referee feels that a wrestler is
feigning injury to avoid a submission and/or action, he may call a “catch”. All
effort will aim at maintaining the action without interruptions. In the event of a
grappler bleeding, the referee shall stop the match and make the medical
staff intervene. It is the Head medical officer’s duty to determine whether the
bleeding and spread of blood have been effectively stopped and whether or not
the athlete may continue competition. Besides, all blood must be cleaned from
mats, uniforms and bodies. Competition cannot resume until all materials used in
blood cleanup are properly disposed of. In the case of a bloodied or torn garment
that must be replaced, all athletes must have a back up uniform available mat
side. It is the responsibility of the athlete’s coach to clean up any blood or bodily
fluids from the athlete or mat.
Protective Equipment
It is highly advisable that the athlete utilize proper protective gear during
competition. All athletes should wear a mouthpiece. Male athletes should wear
a protective cup. Injuries resulting from accidental contact where the injured
athlete was not wearing proper protective equipment will not be recognized for
injury recovery time. If the injury is serious enough to stop the match, then the
injured athlete who did not use proper protective gear will lose the match via
submisson.
SECTION TWO – COMPETITION SYSTEM
Competition system
The competition system shall be double elimination brackets. The grapplers who
win their matches continue in the bracket until two wrestlers remain undefeated
(they will wrestle for the gold). The grapplers who lose their first match are placed
in the Consolation/Losers bracket as and when they get eliminated from the
Championship bracket. When the two finalists are determined, competition
resumes with the Consolation/Losers bracket following the direct elimination
system. The two remaining grapplers will compete for the bronze. The other
grapplers are ranked according to the points obtained for their matches.
Match qualification points
The classification points that grapplers receive for their matches will be used to
determine their final ranking and their team ranking in Competitions.
- Catch (6 points)
Referee stoppage by technical submission. A technical submission occurs when
the referee upon observing a submission attempt feels that the grappler caught in
the submission hold will not be able to escape without harm. In some cases
tapping out may not be possible physically and the verbal submission commands
“catch” or “tap” shall be used to signify the tap out. A competitor who screams or
cries out in competition will have submitted himself, unless the referee
determines that the scream/cry was a result of an accidental contact requiring
injury recovery time.
- Submission by Tap Out (6 points)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.