UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Jerk Chicken Help???

3/17/09 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Columi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was hoping the forum would be able to help me out with a question Ive got about making Jerk Chicken, Im pretty sure I pulled this recipe from the forum some time ago, so I'll repost it in case anyone wants it and then get to my question...

Jerk Chicken...up to 2 3lb bone in chickens quartered

3 tablespoons Dark Rum

2 tablespoons H2O

1/2 Cup Malt Vinegar

10 Green Onions Chopped

4 Cloves Garlic Chopped

2 Tablespoons Dried Thyme

2 Scotch bonnet or Habanero Peppers

2 Tablespoons Veggie Oil

4 Teaspoons Allspice

4 Teaspoons Ginger

4 Teaspoons Cinnamon

2 Teaspoons Nutmeg

2 Teaspoons Salt

2 Teaspoons Black Pepper

2 Teaspoons Dark Brown Sugar

1 Sup Ketchup

3 tablespoons Soy Sauce

1/2 Cup Lime Juice

Start by boiling the Rum and H2O for 3 minutes, pour into Blender, add Vinegar and the next 12 ingredients.

Transfer 2 Tablespoons of the jerk into a bowl and combine with Soy and Ketchup for your sauce.

Pour Lime Juice over Chicken to coat, spoon jerk over Chicken and rub in, marinate 4-24 hours.

Sprinkle with S&P, then bake in an oven at 350 skin side up for aprx 50 minutes OR grill skin side down over medium heat for aprx 50 minutes, turning frequently for 50 minutes.

So, finally my question...I plan on grilling the chicken but because I will be grilling wings, breasts, thighs do you have any tips for cooking different sized chicken pieces at the same time? I could start them at different times...how much time between breasts and the other pieces would you recommend??

Ive also heard of people starting the chicken all at the same time and covering the thickest parts of the breasts with double duty aluminum foil...any tips for this technique??

Much love and respect for any help here...thanks!!!
3/18/09 7:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crescentwrench
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're on the right track.  Placing the bigger parts earlier will make them come off at the same time.  The foil tent or disposible pie plate or roasting pan will hold in the heat and cook bigger pieces hotter.  Covering just part of the breast with the foil touching probably won't work.  You could maybe arrange it so the skinny part pokes through.  

Breasts are thicker, but they also get done at a lower temp than the dark meat.  On the flipside, dark meat is pretty hard to overcook, so if you wait longer for the breasts to get done the dark meat can handle it.  Just move the done pieces to the coolest part of your grill so the outside doesn't burn.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.