UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Torn Labrum

3/17/09 7:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
savage animal
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anybody out there have experience this shoulder injury?

(background FRAT below in case helpful)

I finally had an MRI last week, injury actually happened in high school wrestling practice about 15 years ago, much bigger dude posted hard on my shoulder showing the class a switch.

I never had it properly diagnosed till now. It always kept me from lifting weights properly, held me back strength-wise, pain of course, but I always just worked through it, accepting the limitations.

Finally I started pulling muscles left and right last fall in my 2nd year of jiu jitsu with everything around my shoulder overcompensating for the shoulder's weakness, wound up pinching a nerve, haven't truly trained since.

Ice, Ibuprofen, and these exercises are what I have done to rehab, but to no avail, likely due to my addiction to sleeping on that shoulder/side.

orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm

Got insurance again, I will see the ortho. for the 1st time tomorrow, have seen 2 in the past (2 years ago and 10 years ago), but they each just guessed that I had a chronic strain (no MRI then) and that rest and strengthening exercises are all I can do. Chances are, other than surgery, the same rehab method, and somehow forcing myself not to sleep on it, will be the answer, trying to avoid surgery of course.

Suggestions/personal experiences UG? Thanks in advance!

3/17/09 7:11 PM
savage animal
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*awaits torn labia spinoff*
3/25/09 12:08 PM
JeffMiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey man, no jokes here. I just screwed up my shoulder taking a fall in Judo and go get my MRI next week. I can now move it completely, can push OK, but can't pull from certain positions. And it's just painful as hell if I apply pressure to it. And I also roll on that side when I sleep, which makes for some sleepless nights. Been trying to use pillows to stabilize myself.

Personally, if I need to get cut so I can continue training, that's what I'll do.
3/25/09 1:40 PM
savage animal

Jeff,

DevinS thinks his problem is similar to mine, yours may be as well, so I am posting my experience as requested as long as it may help the UG...

Today was the evaluation basically.

She asked me if my pain was 1-10, etc.

She pushed against my arms in different positions to see if I was weaker pushing/pulling in certain directions.

Had me lift my arm straight in front of me with palm facing in, like signaling a touchdown

Had me lift my arm, palm facing forward, like a jumping jack, taking the arm all the way across my head, this caused me pain, so no exercises making that motion right now.

Had me put my arm in a chicken wing position

Based on my response to these movements, mainly the fact that the jumping jack movement causes pain like a mofo in my chest wall area, and that I have had a pinched nerve recurring in the scapula muscle (forget the exact name) that runs from the neck down to beside the shoulder blade...

I have the following exercises to do at home, each 4x per set, 1 set per session, 2-3 seesions/day
(each exercise can be found on youtube, embeding was disabled on the ones I found 1st)

Cervical Spine - 27- Levator Scapula Stretch:
look 45 degree angle towards non-affected shoulder, gently stretch head down and away, hold 30 seconds.

Cervical Spine - 24 Flexibility: Corner (or Doorway) Stretch
Hands just above shoulder level, forearms flat on the door frame infront of you, palms facing forward, lean forward with either foot in front of the other to balance the lean, get a comfortable stretch of the chest, hold 30 seconds

Shoulder - 8 Range of Motion: Abduction
Slide arm up wall, side of torso facing the wall, palm on the wall, lean towards wall, hold 30 seconds

The ortho surgeon who referred me to PT (hopefully ultimately in lieu of surgery) prescribed me Napoxen (Aleve) twice a day for the month I am in PT
PTherapist suggested heat in times of stiffness (which I don't forsee personally), ice as needed which I will

PT will be 3x/week, going back for the first true session tomorrow then 3x week the next 3 weeks I have scheduled thus far, insurance has approved up to 30 visits, I hope to be done in 15 visits or less, test will be how things go when I go back to jiu jitsu, circuit training, workout after that, no upper body exercise outside of the PT exercises till then, cardio otherwise is cool

Again, these exercises were suggesated for my particular pain, which are (I believe) inflammed muscles, pinched nerve, bursitis, etc. in the area around the larbal tear. Chest and upper back currently cause me more pain than the shoulder itself, which is the crux of all of this, so my treatment is based on this.

3/25/09 3:24 PM
JeffMiller

Thanks man -- good info.

I have a PT session on Monday, so I'm sure I'll get tsome similar treatment.

I still want to roll, though. Hey, I have Demerol.
3/25/09 4:08 PM
savage animal

^lol, be careful man. Keep us updated if you can.

how exactly are you barracading yourself from rolling to the bad side w/ pillows? I need to start doing this tonight!
3/26/09 12:50 PM
JeffMiller

^I prop a pillow lengthwise on my right side, against my body, and then have my shoudler and arm on top of it. I still roll to my left a bit, but not to my right. Seems to be working OK.
3/26/09 2:19 PM
savage animal

Thanks Jeff, I'm gonna try the pillow trick tonight, laid there again for hours on end last night trying to sleep on my back or right side.

1st true PT session today...
Warmed up on the stationary arm bike, 3 minutes forward, 3 backwards

Laid down on a table, on my back, trainer moved my arm and shpulder around, pushed on it, pulled on it in all sorts of directions, had me lay on my side, more pushing, pulling, loosening up the arm.

I went thru the 3 at home exercises previously posted

New exercises: stretching the chest/shoulder, and trap/neck area in a few different directions
Laid down back and back of head on styrofoam cylinder with legs propped upon a box in the situp position

1) butterfly stretch: start arms together above chest like end of butterfly machine motion, open butterfly to stretch both arms to the floor, hold 30 seconds

2) straight arm chest stretch same as butterfly, but with straight arms, stretched to the floor outstretched to sides, hold 30 seconds

3) Grab styro cylander beneath with hand of injured side, pick head off of cylinder, looking to ceiling still, move head to side of cylinder, drop slightly, hold 30 seconds

4) Same as above but with face pointed 20 degrees to non-injured side

5) Same as above but with face pointing to non-injured side

Let me know if this helps anybpdy, otherwise I'll stop with the descriptions and just get my exercises in ; )
3/27/09 1:00 PM
JeffMiller

My first PT is in a couple hours, so I'll see what they do.

I did standup sparring last night, just because I hadn't done anything for a couple weeks and felt restless. Went about 30 minutes and had to stop after I threw a right hook that missed. Felt that shoulder WRENCH, and damn that hurt.

Next time will be just jabs and kicks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.