UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Pros/Cons of this choice

3/18/09 10:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm kicking around the idea in my head of buying an affordable dream car. It will depend on my lifestyle in the next few years (I'll hit the upper echelon of my field later this year) and if I keep working full time I'll have a decent amount of dough.

So, this dream car will not be a daily driver and the wife must be into it as well. I'm thinking around 30k. My first two ideas:

Used porsche 911. I've seen several '99-'02 models with 50k miles or so. Of course always garaged with maintenance records. I know nothing about these car's reliability but I've always wanted a 911 but I suspect insurance and repairs might be costly.

Second option I've talked about before. I'd like a chevelle ss clone or late 60's mustang as a backup. The idea here is to get something with a straight frame and decent non-rusted body. Purists will puke, I want a turbo diesel from a truck (duramax maybe?), coilovers, big brakes, new AC and new interior. I'm just wondering if I can make this work for 30k if I don't do the work. I don't like wreching much and a lot of this work would be well above my skill level.

Other options? My wife isn't too keen on the elise and people just beat on those cars anyway so I'd be leary of a used one.
3/19/09 12:16 PM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/09 12:16 PM
 Car auctions in your town will surprise you.  Brother saw a 2005 C6 Z06 go for 34k with about 20k miles on it.

Second choice = not for 30k :( I don't think so if you won't be doing it yourself.

3/20/09 9:59 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really. I've seen some straight rustangs for 2k here. Ouch, I just looked at the cost for the motor and tranny..... I was thinking around 6k for some reason. Maybe I should just go for an LS engine instead, I know they're fairly plentiful and not so costly.
3/20/09 1:18 PM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LSX = 454 goodness in the L series :)
3/21/09 11:51 AM
Ponyboy

That 1100 pound diesel might be tough on a mustang but it would surely be cool in an old buick riviera or a lincoln continental with suicide doors like in the matrix movie.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.