UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> 2009 MLS Season

3/19/09 8:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge news coming just before the season kicks off

Vancouver announced as an expansion team, Portland to be announced Friday. Hot damn, the Pacific Northwest is going to be rival city. Awesome stuff.

Seattle is new, sold 20k in season tickets and cut off sales, so they will be rocking and picking up where Toronto set the high expansion bar standards. Friggin awesome.

Philly coming in next year as well.

Great time to be a fan!

Tonight the Seattle Coach Poachers vs New York 9 PM EST
3/19/09 9:46 AM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad Vancouver got in and really hope something happens with Montreal and their mad cheese mob money.

The "scarfing" of Seattle was pretty bloody impressive, and Portland's support should be huge.

Also, credit to LA for keeping Beckham off their season's tickets. I understand him doing what he needs to do to stay fit, but totally sympathize with the Galaxy and hope he gets booed off the pitch.
3/19/09 9:48 AM
invalid
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any predictions this year?

I think the East is going to be a brutal dogfight. All the teams either got better or stayed as strong as they were last year. It's going to be a fun ride.
3/19/09 11:16 AM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still working on my predictions, but I agree the East is tough. Chicago is looking pretty good to me unless Blanco's spine finally curls right up.
3/20/09 9:23 AM
Extendo

Obviously, you lot should do well again - even without Sigi. I couldn't believe the pre-season run you guys had in England against the reserve squads.

Definately was not expecting Seattle to come out guns a blazin' like that last night. Looks like we are going to have to get Harmse or Serioux to break Montero's legs when he comes to BMO.
3/20/09 10:30 AM
invalid

I'm wondering how fragile the guy was. Let's face it: New York was flat out bad. They were getting beat on simple short-short-long passes, and Seattle wasn't exactly playing through the midfield a lot of the game.

Tough to get an accurate assessment because, well, LOL NEW YORK lol
3/20/09 10:49 AM
Extendo

Yeah, fair analysis. Still good for them in their opening game. Shame about the marching band though.
3/20/09 11:02 AM
invalid

Yea what the hell was that all about lol
3/20/09 2:56 PM
Extendo

Oh man, I feel bad for Vanc supporters. How on earth could they have let this trio (and their doll) on tv.

http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2009/03/reminder-why-vancouver-is-joke.html
3/23/09 11:02 AM
invalid

Yea, it's like a stadium full of vomit
3/23/09 11:33 AM
Extendo

So far so good! What sucks though, is that I am no longer going to Columbus next Saturday. Got caught up in a friend's wedding sadly.

I only agreed to go if I could watch the game at the reception.
3/23/09 11:48 AM
invalid

Extendo - So far so good! What sucks though, is that I am no longer going to Columbus next Saturday. Got caught up in a friend's wedding sadly.

I only agreed to go if I could watch the game at the reception.

Oh that sucks, man. Why do people go and schedule weddings during the season? My buddy missed like 6 games because of that shit. I'm lucky in that most of my friends aren't the marrying type and family is all pretty much married up. I'll save some smoke and whiskey for next time for sure

Man, what a crazy game you guys had in KC, though - there were some absolute bombs scored.

And Kenny Cooper's goal from beyond midfield? I couldn't help but lol @ John Bush
3/23/09 12:06 PM
Extendo

My friends aren't the marrying type for the most part either but everyone is getting older and going into panic mode. Babies and weddings everywhere - usually in that order.

The game was pretty nuts. I think our midfield is going to be pretty hard to deal with (should do, it's the most expensive in the league I think). And finally Guevara is staying up front and earning his keep. I don't like how easily he falls down though. I don't have much patience for crap like that.

Arnaud's goals were sick for KC, which was good for Frei our rookie keeper. He really had no chance on those and did well otherwise.

I'll have to check for Cooper's goal. Missed that game.
3/23/09 12:42 PM
Pinback
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I missed the season opener, but caught the highlights. That Seattle crowd was insane...
3/24/09 9:52 PM
Yougottawanna
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there were 31,000 in seattle. Looked like a good atmosphere.
3/25/09 6:13 AM
invalid

a lot of beards in that crowd. a lot of beards...
3/25/09 8:42 AM
Extendo

invalid, other than Toronto do you guys see a lot of away supporters?

We haven't seen too much but I think that's largely because we only have around 50-100 seats set aside for opposing fans.

I will say this though, the DC United supporters were like fucking songbirds when they came up. I couldn't believe their organization and volume, although their chants were a little choiresque.
3/26/09 8:49 AM
invalid

Chicago always sends people over, and they are with out a doubt the biggest group of assholes lol. DC is always good for some away support as well, and once a year we get some good KC support. Chicago is the other big one though.

I had a chance to party down with the DC guys during an away trip. It was just me and my girlfriend and they let us hang in the Screaming Eagles/Barra section even with our yellow. Very cool guys.

I'm thinking New York will be sending people out this year lol. A bus of them came in for the US-Mexico game last month, so I don't see why not
3/26/09 9:28 AM
Extendo

LOL, I've heard about the Shitago fans as well.

That's cool about the DC guys. I didn't really interact with them too much here, but they got mad respect for being so vocal, and also so incredibly polite.

Man, I'm getting so hyped for the first home game.
3/26/09 9:32 AM
invalid

Yea it's almost mean making fans wait a couple games before giving them their first home game.

This week has been going so sloooooow
3/28/09 2:54 PM
Fernando
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/28/09 3:10 PM
Seattle is shit! Bunch of Latte sipping cunts the lot of them! Fuck them and their 20k corporate seats. Can't wait till 2011! Portland already has a top 5 supporters group and we travel far and wide! We are taking 180 folks up to Vancouver, B.C. in April!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4020187

for a laugh!
3/29/09 12:23 PM
Extendo

Fuck Seattle won again.

Invalid, did you get to party with any TFC fans?
3/30/09 8:49 AM
Extendo

Helicopters, tasers....sounds like the game had it all. Too bad it was an ugly match to watch on the pitch.

TFC fan tasered....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clt80KpHx7c

Helicopter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pN2AvgFcHA

Smoke bombs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zFCl9SmN0
3/30/09 11:03 AM
invalid

I was so fucking drunk. Every home opener I over do it lol. I wish I could remember more of the game but from what I've heard I didn't miss too much.

TFC fans showed well. If the numbers that made the trip weren't as numerous as last year, it was pretty damn close. I guess by halftime everyone was so damn hammered that a couple rows of bleachers over there are completely annihilated. I don't ever remember there being that many drunks in the stadium like that but it seemed like everyone was as sloppy as I was lol

It's a shame things seem to always break down into that tomfoolery, though. I don't think there was much doing, but I was late walking down and it seems like most of that could have been prevented with better stadium management. The away group was supposed to leave later, but instead everyone was filing down the same exits and chest puffing ensued. Didn't really see what happened at the concourse, but as I was walking out I ate some pepper spray that wafted over. It sucked. Hard. No idea what went on in the parking lot but I saw a shitload of CPD cars and the heli helping chase down runners. Tons of Lolz to be had haha. They weren't messing around.

Didn't get a chance to party with any TFC guys unfortunately, but it would have been nice. I'm going to try and make the trip up this year though. Hopefully my friendship with some VIPs will let me bypass the ticket lottery
3/30/09 11:34 AM
Extendo

Everything that I heard about the problems were attributed to security as you mentioned. Had they waited about twenty minutes, I think everything would have been cool for the most part.

I'm going to do my best to get pleasantly drunk for the opener but also to try and keep it under control a bit for the same reasons. I usually over do it as well.

If you do think you are going to come up, let me know and I'll help you with tickets. Totally understand if you want to sit in the away supporters section, but it could also be fun to do some shit disturbing in the south end in a yellow jersey.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.