UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Rickson's upa

3/19/09 5:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/09 6:01 PM

I read on the BJJ forum a brief description of Rickson Gracie's method of upa and how it differed and was more effective than the traditional upa. Once I read the description, I just got on the floor and did it Rickson's way and the traditional way to feel the difference in my own body.

The details that Rickson taught does actually make the upa movement much more effective. Based on what I felt in my own body when comparing the two methods, here's why......

- the traditional method actually causes a certain amount of counter rotation occur, in addition to shoulder elevation (on the side you are bridging towards). When the misalignment occurs, it does 2 things. First, your body cannot go into as much extension so it decreases the range of motion of your bridge. Second, the misaligment actually weakens your bridge because the force generated by different parts of your body are not all going in one direction, so in a way, you are fight yourself.

- with Rickson's method, your body stays aligned. I felt that the shoulder on the side I was bridging towards stayed down and did not elevate. I also felt my feet and hip automatically rotate at the same rate as much upper body. When My body was aligned, I felt a far greater amount of extension in my hips and spine. I so felt like my neck was not first placed in a position of flexion like the traditional upa which further kept my body more aligned.

So if bridging is part of your mount escapes, the details on Rickson's method can definitely improve your upa.
3/20/09 2:02 AM
laqueus

Any chance for a link to the forum post with the description?
3/25/09 1:37 AM
Bolo

I don't recall the exact thread as there are now a couple long threads about Rickson. The description was along the lines of bridging over your trap versus your shoulder.
3/25/09 7:58 AM
laqueus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH31NDIlFIM - something like what he does here?
3/25/09 12:02 PM
Bolo

I didn't see him do any bridging in that video.
3/25/09 4:58 PM
laqueus

Around 1:20. He kicks his legs over, but it it looks like he's going over his lat, and one of the threads I found mentioned he looks in the direction he's bridging, which he does here.
3/25/09 5:35 PM
Bolo

That didn't look like a bridge in the video clip. It looked like a backward roll.

Yes, the description did talk about looking in the direction of the bridge as you want all the forces generated by your body going in the same direction.
3/27/09 10:58 PM
Bolo

Edited: 03/27/09 11:00 PM
By the way, when I did this movement, I felt the foot on the opposite side of the trap have more weight on the inside edge of the foot and the other foot immediately began to have more weight leaning on the outside edge, turning my hips into the direction of the bridge right away). Along with that I felt most of the driving power came from the foot/leg that was opposite to the trap I was bridging over. Similarly, I felt that when I wanted to turn over, I felt like the leg/foot on the same side wanted to shoot under and back rather than having the opposite leg step over. I felt like this would maintain more power the entire time rather than eventually place weight on the leg that felt weaker.

This stuff with the legs wasn't mentioned in the description so I don't know if Rickson did this or address it, but I just thought I would mention what I felt in my body when doing it. Maybe someone else who tried the movement can tell me if they felt the same thing.

There was mention that Rickson's method of upa wasn't stopped by someone balancing with the hand that wasn't trapped. This thing with the movement of the legs may make sense in regards to that because you wouldn't be driving into where your opponent was balancing but rather pulling your hips way at the end. It's just a hypothesis, so I could be wrong since I'm definitely no expert at bridging.
3/28/09 6:02 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/28/09 10:00 AM
When you bridge this way, then rotate your hips in the direction of the bridge, you have the ability and good structure to either take one leg over the other, or bring one leg under the other. When you take one leg over the other, you can really drive with the planted foot, it's extremely powerful and even with someone having both hands on the floor (thats mounted on you)it's extremely hard to stop.If Rickson comes out there for a sem i relly hope you can make it there, i'd like to hear your analization of his info, it's right in line with your thinking and practice of body structure and alignment, and ease of movement.I'd like to hear your thoughts on this example and movement:Let's say you are on the bottom of a side control position,the partner in on your right side.your left leg is posted and your torso is rotated aprox 45 degrees facing your partner. Your partner has both his hands on your left shoulder trying to drive it down, so the posted leg is providing the power to keep your shoulder up.The question is with the LEFT hip, what i started noticing is some have it down or there is a slight angle from the thigh to the torso, or the hip is forward where there is less to no angle of the thigh to the torso (like if you layed a yard stick on top the thigh and torso). I FEEL i have most force if my hip is forward, it feels engaged with my torso, like it gives more support from my driving leg to the shoulder.What i really like is the BOTTOM leg, it's the one that provides the power to move my hips (shrimp) backwards, and makes pulling back my shoulders and pulling my bottom shoulder under, it creates and more diagonal shrimp and changes the pushing angle the top guy has on you.
3/31/09 2:15 PM
Bolo

Your description is a little difficult to understand, but with that being said, the way that I do a hip scoot is a bit different from the traditional way.

If your torso, is tilted at a 45 degree angle, then all your other load joints need to be tilted at the same angle or else you are creating misalignment in your body.

In the traditional hip scoot, you are driving your top hip and shoulder towards your opponent and then moving your hips away. Personally, I find that to be too much "force against force" in the initial movement. I always do the hip scoot in a manner which moves the bottom hip and shoulder away to turn on my side. The top shoulder and hip is never driving towards. This does require the bottom leg not to be flat on the ground and to be aligned with your other load joints.

With your legs, I find that the the position of the top leg will guide the direction of your scoot and the bottom leg determines the angle in which your body will rotate when turn onto your side.
4/11/09 11:50 PM
pats0
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's Rickson showing his bridge and roll escape from mount in an old Chicago seminar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MCu1F_vxmM#t=3m50s

He may have changed his technique in the last 20 years though.
4/12/09 12:53 AM
Bolo

I can tell you that there is very little I do now that I exactly the same as I did 10 years ago. So I can assume that someone like Rickson has tweaked and improved his techniques too.
4/13/09 7:15 AM
laqueus

I've been playing around with this. I definitely like how it feels compared to what I was doing before. It seems to work much more smoothly with alternating between shrimp and bridge until one works.
4/13/09 12:44 PM
Bolo

Cool. I'm glad that is working out for you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.