UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> firing with BOB

3/19/09 6:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ClayK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I was going over my BOB and added a few things and removed a few. I redistributed the weight. Then it hits me. I've never tried to fire a weapon while wearing it(BOB). so I grab a rifle from the case and bring it up to the firing position. The butt of the weapon slides off my shoulder strap everytime.

Has anyone else noticed and more importantly, remedied this?

I have my Mossberg that does not have a stock, bust the pistol grip, but I'd rather carry a rifle while trekking.
3/20/09 5:01 AM
armlok
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never done a shotty, full power loads need to be fully seated in your shoulder/pec pocket.

For those firing M16/ARs.....I used to teach people wearing LBE and packs to shoot with the butt seated in the shoulder crease. Flex your bicep with your arm pressed against your side, where the top of the bicep ends is where you seat the butt.Nose on CH and shoot, consistant and easy to feel/place. have shot m14s this way too and also I shoot my bolt action hunting rifles (.270/.308) like this when hunting and not have the chance to dump the packboard.

Nowadays there are pads called BRBCM by sotech, they go over straps, dunno how well it works over pack straps.
3/20/09 2:56 PM
cyberslinger

Depending on your BOB you should try firing frome prone position.  Most commercial backpacks won't even let you lift your head when you are on your belly.
3/20/09 4:01 PM
armlok
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of the good things withthe mil ruck is the quick release and the quick adjuster on the shoulder straps amkes dumping a pack fast.
3/22/09 4:06 PM
ClayK

Yea, I've got the quick release tabs on my ALICE, but that won't help me if I need to draw quickly on the trail. I'll adapt, or ust learn to fire from the hip. I really need to buy a pistol or carbine.
3/22/09 5:47 PM
armlok

Try the method I described above, like I said never tried it with a shotty. Try first with reduced recoil buck, if that is ok then try std buck then slugs.
3/22/09 6:21 PM
ClayK

My Mossberg isn't the issue as it is just the pistol grip and no stock. Its all of my rifles that make the draw awkward. I'm sure that in an "OH SHIT" situation, my shoulder/bicep will be fine with the adrenaline pumping.
3/24/09 12:25 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

use a string to tie your pack straps closer together, might...keep it out of the way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.