UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> The Lions Thread

3/23/09 11:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right now the 6 nations is over its time to start thinking about the lions selections.

I fully anticipate that the fairweather rugby fans will be demanding the team will be selceted on 6 nations form.

McGeechan's squad will have been taking shape all season based on all competitions, so whilst the 6 nations is a great chance for players to play themselves in to (or out of ) the squad its not the be all and end all of selection.

That being said, who do you think the choices are at each position with a likely test starter.

FB - Byrne, Kearney and Armitage. Byrne to start
W - One of the areas we are suffering. I like Monye as an outside bet. Has the power and speed to counter the boks. Williams for sure. There will be calls for Evans but he showed his pace is not all that and he has no defence. Sackey. Maybe Bowe. Williams and Sackey to start

C - Flutey might just have played himself in. BOD. Roberts. Shanklin. Not the poof henson though. Anyone but him

FH - major weak link position. I know I am going to get crucified for this but if Wilko is fit and playing well he is my fly half. ROG,Flood,Jones whatever utility back is playing FH for scotland will get marmalised by the back row

SH - Phillips. Only one choice for me here.

Prop - Jenkins/Sheridan/Murray. Tough call here this one will play out in the warm up matches and the starting front row will probably find a way to accomodate two of these three.

Hooker - Weak spot time again. Mears is too small, Flannery is too average, Rees and Ford are shite. Prob go with flannery as his throwing is a bit better

Now we get to the real depth in the squad.

2nd row - O'connell, kennedy, shaw, hamilton, wyn jones. We are going to need to be very mobile here at the line out. I like a Kennedy/O'Connell combo

6/7 - Worsley, Croft, Wallace, jenkins, strokosch, white

I like croft for the line out, 6/7 options and athleticism and strokosch for a bit more grunt

8 - Jones, Heaslip. Heaslip to start.

So my squad is

Front row - Sheridan, Jenkins, Flannery

2nd Row - O'Connell, Kennedy

6/7- Croft, Strokosch

8 - Heaslip

SH - Phillips

FH - Wilkinson

C - BOD, Shanklin

W - Williams, Bowe

FB - Byrne

Outside bets for a lions star - Tait/Monye. They are the sort of player that could go as a surprise pick and flourish.

So 4 english, 5 welsh, 1 jock, 5 paddies.

A fairly balanced team I reckon.

Flame away
3/25/09 1:11 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your choices arn't bad but i'm not one of those people who think Wilkinson should go in. Injured since october and hasn't shown much form over the last couple of years.

Jones and O'gara are the on form flyhalfs.

Flutey could well get the nod above Shanklin as Shanklin is traditionally an outside center which is a lock for BOD. i don't think Roberts has shown enough even to make the tour, same as Henson but Henson will probably go as a utility back.

One issue i have with traditional Lions selections is its usually the best players, rather than players that are best for the strategy. Without knowing what style of play Mcgeechan wants to encourage your only left choosing form players.

if you want mobility at 2nd row you have to go with Alun Wyn Jones. He's been one of the top 2nd rows of the tourney only let down by the shit house throwing of Rees.

Byrne had an average tourney in my opinion. Armitage could well take his place. The x factor Byrne has is his monstorous boot.

Back Row is a hard choice. Williams was quiet in the 6 nations but he is a work horse and one of the worlds best stealers. Wallace is a good choice as are Croft and Haskel. Worsley was a tower in defence for England but lacks mobility.

i guess my 15 would be

15 Byrne
14 Bowe
13 BOD
12 Flutey
11 Williams
10 Jones
9 Phillips

1 Jenkins
2 Flannery
3 Murray
4 O'connell
5 A Wyn Jones
6 Croft
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip
3/27/09 7:54 AM
The MIGHTY Bishop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/20/09 7:40 PM
15 - Lee Byrne

14 - Simon Danielli - You need one player from Scotland

13 - Brian O'Driscoll

12 - Jamie Roberts

11 - Shane Williams

10 - Ronan O'Gara

9 - Mike Phillips

8 - Andy Powell

7 - Martyn Williams

6 - James Haskell

5 - Paul O'Connell

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan

3 - I'm not sure who I would pick yet.

2 - Not a stand out hooker in British and Irish rugby.

1 - Gethin Jenkins
3/30/09 4:18 PM
seg
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would rather have Jones or Hook at #10 than O'Gara.  His defense is for shite.

I'd take Paterson just for goal kicking.  Dude is money.

3/30/09 6:30 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

Edited: 03/31/09 6:36 AM
Hook has not played well she he broke into the Wales team - Jones stands a very good chance of starting.
3/31/09 5:42 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jones should start.

Hook can't manage games and O'gara has defense like a strainer holds water.

LOL@ putting gethin jenkins at tight head instead of sheridan.

O'callahagn is too much of a liability for 2nd row. He almost cost Ireland their grandslam.
4/15/09 5:26 AM
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IrishFighter110 - I agree about Wilkinson. The chap is unreal and can carry the shitest of teams.

Lol of that thinly veiled dig as I doubt you are referring to Newcastle seeing as they have won fuck all with him
4/17/09 8:17 AM
The MIGHTY Bishop

fingers 'n' teeth - jones should start.

O'callahagn is too much of a liability for 2nd row. He almost cost Ireland their grandslam.

Gethin Jenkins is much better than the hype machine that is Sheridan. Jenkins has taken Sheridan to school everytime they have played each other.

Gethin Jenkins was the best player on the last Lions tour.

Gethin Jenkins had a better 6 nations than Sheridan.

Gethin Jenkins was the the best player on the pitch when Cardiff Blues beat Toulouse.

What the fuck has Sheridan done this year?
4/17/09 3:43 PM
LordSeano

Not finished fourth in the six nations?
4/17/09 3:48 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

I'm pretty sure the Welsh beat the English - That's two times in a row now - And we only got 4th based on point difference - The year before we won the Grand Slam.
4/17/09 3:57 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

If there is a bench press comp on the tour then I'm sure Sheridan will be the first name on the sheet.
4/19/09 11:59 PM
fingers 'n' teeth

The MIGHTY Bishop - 

Gethin Jenkins is much better than the hype machine that is Sheridan. Jenkins has taken Sheridan to school everytime they have played each other.

Gethin Jenkins was the the best player on the pitch when Cardiff Blues beat Toulouse.

My Point is that Jenkins should be at 1. Number 1 Gethin Jenkins, thats everyones natural choice, but he's not tight head.
4/20/09 7:39 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

fingers 'n' teeth - 
The MIGHTY Bishop - 

My Point is that Jenkins should be at 1. Number 1 Gethin Jenkins, thats everyones natural choice, but he's not tight head.

I've put Jenkins at Tighthead by mistake! I'll edit that now!
4/20/09 7:43 PM
The MIGHTY Bishop

I thought O'Connell was the only choice and it's a great choice.

I also agree with Jonathan Davies that Nicky Robinson might be the shock call up for the Lions.
5/7/09 4:50 PM
fingers 'n' teeth

yeah, thats bolocks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.