UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Your poll answer?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/25/09 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trichoke7
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr. Jen,

I was wondering if you happen to vote in my poll:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1435691&page=1

and if so, what was your answer and why?

Thanks!

3/25/09 12:32 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That question cannot be easily answered because there are a couple main factors that people don't consider.....

The type of game that the person learns with the gi will play a major factor. You can train with the gi, however, if all the techniques you apply and the game you develop applies to gi or no gi, your performance without the gi will be unaffected once you take the gi off. This what I do with my system. Everything in the core my system must be able to be applied gi or no gi. So it doesn't affect my game to take the gi off even though I train with the gi 95% of the time now.

Marcelo Garcia's game is also a good example of this. Look at his arm drag, x-guard, armbar from side control, back control, his guard passes, etc.... The core of his game can be appied gi or no gi.

If the game you develop is highly dependent on the gi material, then you are going to have a lot of problems when you take the gi off.

The other issue that is not taken into consideration is the mental factor. Most people feel that the key to success in BJJ on the physical level. I've met a lot of people with a lot of athletic talent. There are no shortage of resources for techniques. There are many different S&C programs. This may have validity in the short run, however, I have found that long term success is more mental.
3/25/09 5:10 PM
laqueus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie Bravo asked this with his Pancho/Tron example in MTRG. He didn't answer it.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.