UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> sprained knee/

3/25/09 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lenox01
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my knee bothered me for a few days then the other day it hurt during a hard training day....i dont recall a specific incident where it got injured.........a few hours later it swelled up and is painful....went to DR who said it probably just sprained and inflamed....he gave me some anti inflamatories and said to rest it.....it 3 days later and i dont know if it get n any better (still swollen) i have a ammy mma fight in a week and a half?
any1 have experience with this? healing time?
thanks
3/26/09 12:55 PM
JeffMiller

Still inflamed after 3 days....have you been walking around on it a lot? Last time my knee swelled up like that, I had partially torn my MCL. Which healed on its own because it was only a partial tear, but not in a week and a half. How's your lateral stability?

Use lots of ice and elevate above your heart. Try getting a good sports knee brace too. I use two (two bum knees) that have stiff plastic supports, so I'm not hitting anyone with metal.

Good luck.
3/31/09 1:24 AM
JasonE

Get a second opinion, and preferably a MRI to verify the status of the soft tissues around the joint. Consider putting off the fight, as this may need some real recovery time. At the very least, get a good knee brace that you can wear during any training, and preferably during competition as well if you go through with the fight.

Acupuncture can be very helpful for inflammation - in 2006 I had a knee injury with severe swelling less than two weeks before a big MA event. Aggressive acupuncture treatment got the swelling and discomfort WAY down in time for my event.

Hope you heal fast!

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
4/3/09 9:25 AM
410ClosetRedneck

I didn't see you mention that you iced it, and I would assume you're still training for the fight. After training I would wrap that thing with an ace bandage (decent amount of pressure) and ice it really good. Anti-inflamatories are awesome...but ice will also really help.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.