UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Ricco Rodriguez in Birmingham

3/26/09 4:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lucian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there for anyone who is interested. There is a new BJJ school in Birmingham called American Fight Club BJJ. We are a BJJ only school that trains mostly gi under our main trainer Joe Savoian (a machado brown belt from L.A.) I just wanted to extend an invitation to anyone who may be around this weekend to stop by and train with us. Ricco Rodriguez (former UFC heavyweight champ and BJJ black belt) will be teaching classes at our school Friday 3/27 and Saturday 3/28. These are not seminars, they are regular classes. We are asking that while Ricco is in town that anyone who shows up to train with him could give $20 to help cover his travel expenses. Private sessions will be available as well if anyone is interested just contact Joe @ 310-941-4657 tell him you got his # from Lucian. Ricco will be in town on a regular basis, so if you are unable to make it this time just keep in touch. Hope to see some of you there.
3/26/09 4:16 PM
Lucian

We also have a website that is a work in progress with a few pictures and schedule. If anyone needs any other contact information, you can check there.

www.americanfightclubalabama.com
3/26/09 5:57 PM
Hiza Geri

I'd like to try and make it. How is Ricco in person?
3/26/09 6:33 PM
Lucian

Edited: 03/26/09 6:35 PM
Ricco is a good guy whose had some bad shit happen to him and he catches a lot of crap for it. But I have trained with him and hung out with him a good bit and he can be really down to earth and easy to talk to. The best thing about Ricco is that he loves BJJ and martial arts and has a great deal of respect for people who feel the same. He really wants BJJ to gain the notoriety here in the southeast that it has in other parts of the country.
3/26/09 7:49 PM
Lucian

Well nothing you can't find by a google search for Ricco Rodriguez and Celebrity Rehab...but I'll leave that up to you. Regardless, he is a good guy and an excellent teacher with a lot of knowledge and experience that he is willing to share with anyone who comes to train.
3/27/09 4:52 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so when you say, "had some bad shit happen to him", you actually mean, took a shit load of drugs?

Taking drugs and drinking is not "having bad shit happen to you"....it is doing bad shit to yourself and then trying to blame other people for your problems.

Guy was one of the top HW's in the world and pissed it all away.
3/27/09 6:06 AM
Josh J

No one wants to have drug problems. He obviously lost control of it and ended up in a bad place. Having personally known a few addicts, I can feel a little sorry for them. Some people are just more weak than others when it comes to stuff like that. If you've ever even tried drugs you could have ended up in the same place.

I've always admired him, other than the drug use. It's rare to see a true heavyweight who is actually good at BJJ and uses BJJ the way it is intended, instead of developing the typical big guy game and doing nothing but getting side control and trying to force hammer chokes and americana's over and over.
3/27/09 6:26 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lived through my own brother's meth addiction for years, so I can relate to seeing people go through this...but at the end of the day, He chose that path and did it to himself. That's all Im saying.

I have tried a lot of drugs, but never even came close to ending up in the same place.

Frank Mir has better BJJ than Ricco in my opinion, and has kept that small man's BJJ game even though he is 6'3" and weighs in at about 250.
3/27/09 8:22 AM
Lucian

Guys you all make valid points, but dont be so quick to judge someone that I can only assume you have not met. Ricco went through some tough times that were indeed a direct result of poor decisions, but the fact remains that he is a world class BJJ black belt and former UFC heavyweight champion whom we could all learn a lot from. I am very happy to have the opportunity to be able to train with and learn from him, and I was just extending an invitation to anyone else who wanted to take advantage of the situation. Again, I hope to see some of you guys come out tonight and tomorrow.
3/27/09 8:40 AM
Lucian

Edited: 03/27/09 8:45 AM
...sorry dont know what happened there, I was trying to embed the youtube video of Ricco vs Minotauro. Shows what I know about these computer things...here is the URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyvWTlTKwys
3/27/09 10:01 AM
KeithRL

Lucian:

Sounds like a good deal and thanks for offering the invitation to everyone else on here. This is the type of thing that should be encouraged by the small number of schools in the state (like Spartan's open Sundays that have been going on recently, Traid's too). Communication is a good thing. Hopefully the AGA can help develop this sort of thing as well.

I have no clue if I'll be able to make it this time but I'll definitely try and make it some time in the future.
3/27/09 10:11 AM
joey101

Edited: 03/27/09 10:12 AM
i agree with you keith!if i can learn at least one thing from a new bjj whitebelt than i'm sure there's something to pick up from a bjj black former ufc champion.i'm gonna try to make it out for sure.i'm all for guys in alabama getting better and i think a little bit of cross training will help everybodys game!whomever it may be from this state that breaks into the ufc,wec,etc first i will be stoked and support them 100%!

hell and even say i've rolled with them or even tapped them out!
3/27/09 10:15 AM
Lucian

Hey thanks for the positive feedback guys here is some more information for anyone looking to come out tonight or tomorrow.

Class tonight is from 7:30 till about 10:00 and tomorrow will be from 12-2 and there may be a day class on Sunday as well. The best time to come will probably be tonight because there should be more people there. The gym is above the old gymnasium at the Old Berry Middle School off of Columbiana Road in Hoover. From 65S take the hwy31 exit. Turn left off the ramp onto 31 and take the first left onto Columbiana Rd. just before the shell gas station. The shool is about 1 or 2 miles up that road on the left. You can see two school buses in the parking lot as you drive up to it, and there are two traffic lights for the parking lot. Come around to the left of the shool and around the back to the gymnasium near the baseball field and you will see a bunch of cars and some signs on the door for AFC BJJ we are on the second floor. You can call Joe at 310-941-4657 or me at 205-401-8604 if you get lost. My email is hornb001@uab.edu if you have any other questions.
www.americanfightclubalabama.com
3/27/09 1:13 PM
Lucian

OK
3/27/09 3:22 PM
Hiza Geri

KeithRL - Lucian:

Sounds like a good deal and thanks for offering the invitation to everyone else on here. This is the type of thing that should be encouraged by the small number of schools in the state (like Spartan's open Sundays that have been going on recently, Traid's too). Communication is a good thing. Hopefully the AGA can help develop this sort of thing as well.

I have no clue if I'll be able to make it this time but I'll definitely try and make it some time in the future.

The AGA plans on bringing people in from out of state for seminars, using the membership fees (and maybe a small amount for members and more for non-members). We'd love to have Ricco out for one, I'm sure. I've got old King of the Cage tapes of him, and he was an absolute monster.
3/27/09 6:03 PM
Lucian

Hey guys, dont know if anyone was planning on attending tonight but Ricco is running a little late. He is driving in with his kids in tow so naturally there were some delays. He will be here tonight, just a little late for class, but the Saturday and Sunday classes will be on time (around noon) I believe. Contact info is above, and I will try and keep everyone posted.
3/27/09 6:07 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he's not driving in through the insane storm headed this way. The weather guys here are very concerned, otherwise I might drive up this weekend and check out the place.
3/27/09 6:51 PM
joey101

sunday will be at noon for sure?
3/29/09 7:58 PM
Josh J

Thanks for the invite Lucian. I had a great time today. Joe seems like a great guy and a very knowledgable instructor. Ricco was great as well. Despite any trouble he may have had in the past, there is no doubt that he knows his stuff. He is a great instructor as well. I learned a lot today.

Anyone in the B'ham area needs to check this school out.
3/30/09 8:11 AM
Lucian

No problem Josh, we were glad to have you guys. It was good to mix some things up and see were we were at with our training. You and Daniel are welcome back any time you are in Birmingham.
3/30/09 8:33 AM
Hiza Geri

I'm sorry I missed him this time around. We had family day.

That's cool that he brought his kids. My son goes with me to training a couple of days a week. He has a special "baba gym bag" with trucks and Thomas the Train.
3/30/09 8:39 AM
Stranglehold26

my son's "baba gym bag" includes BCAA's, HGH, hand wraps, a gi, and some icy hot.
3/30/09 8:52 AM
Hiza Geri

yeah, well, mine's getting there...
3/30/09 6:56 PM
maxcady

Josh J - Thanks for the invite Lucian. I had a great time today. Joe seems like a great guy and a very knowledgable instructor. Ricco was great as well. Despite any trouble he may have had in the past, there is no doubt that he knows his stuff. He is a great instructor as well. I learned a lot today.

Anyone in the B'ham area needs to check this school out.

good review
3/30/09 6:58 PM
maxcady

Lucian - No problem Josh, we were glad to have you guys. It was good to mix some things up and see were we were at with our training. You and Daniel are welcome back any time you are in Birmingham.

nice response

did any visitors from other schools show up ?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.