UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> getting the art, not the ink Your thoughts?

3/27/09 10:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Noose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a good friend who does some good work, but I dont personally care for his artistic style. My wife is wanting to get a traditional style half sleeve and as a tribute to her deceased grandfather, who was a WWII vet. We have the design idea and I have no doubt that my friend would do a good job and would not charge us very much at all, just as a personal favor. I just want to get the actual artwork/layout done by someone else. I was thinking of paying the deposit fee for the artwork at another shop, then getting my buddy to ink it. Kinda shitty thing to do I know, but it would potenially save me 5 or 6 hundred bucks. If I oay the fee to have the idea drawn up, it becomes mine to do with as I please, no?
3/27/09 10:29 AM
The Noose

Damnit, this was suppose to be on the tattoo forum. Could someone move it for me please. Sorry bout that
3/27/09 10:32 AM
jakesmash
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never had a tattoo artist that would let me take the design away from the shop. They generally hold the drawing just so you can't do exactly what you want to do. It's kinda shitty to do anyway. It might be your idea, but it's the other guys art.

However thats not saying you can't work around it and still save money. You might have someone who would do it if you tell him what your intentions are right away. In that case you might end up paying more than just a deposit for the artwork, but you'll probably save a ton of money at the same time.
3/27/09 10:34 AM
Dougie
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to have some tattoo artists do some work for t-shirts at our club. Never got around ot asking though.
3/27/09 10:40 AM
Sambist007
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Getting the art-work done somewhere else is problematic, as the tattoo artist still has to do the actual work, and there is more to it then just tracing lines. The artwork may look great but if the tattoo artist isn't up to the task it isn't going to look as good as the original artwork. In other words if you aren't confident with the tattoo artists artistic ability (thats what I took from your post), why would you choose him/her as they are the one that is going to do the final/permanent work?

*edit* re-read your post, you just don't like his artistic style. Still a problem, imo, because he may not work well with other styles. Just make sure he and you are confident that he is comfortable working within whatever particular style the original drawing is.
3/27/09 11:53 AM
The Noose

Im honestly more concerned with the ethical part of this. There are guys who wont touch anyone else's work under any circumstances, and there are guys who will do nearly anything if it makes them a penny. Im not sure what the consensus on this is.
3/27/09 11:56 AM
The Noose

I guess what i am asking is how is this different from doing someone else flash on the wall, espcially if I pay a fair price for the artwork itself.
4/13/09 7:09 PM
theBEAToff

Don't worry 'bout the ethical part, as jakesmash said they will never release the artwork to you... people have been pulling this shit for decades, they know better, they wouldn't even let you take pics of their flash either.
4/20/09 10:07 PM
Fernando

drawing shit on paper is way different than designing something that wraps around the arm and something that is permanent. Remember this is permanent and if you want go cheap you will get what you pay for.
12/15/09 3:50 AM
PembrokePinesVillain

tell them up front, hey can you draw me some flash, negotiate a price and most likely they will draw it.

they love to tat their own stuff but at the end of the day, money in your pocket for just drawing instead of holding a machine for 4 hours is way better.....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.