UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Floating rib injury

3/27/09 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VigneaultFan
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hurt one of my floating ribs about two weeks ago. I've had my doctor look at it. It's not broken, but it's likely an intercostal tissue strain. Anywho, it hurts when I sneeze or cough or run, but I can breathe and sleep with absolutely no discomfort.

What I'd like to know is if anyone out there has had a similar injury and if so, how long did it take to heal. Not rolling is pissing me off big time because I am on the cusp of getting my bjj blue belt.

Did you have to take time off? I'm not sparring, but I am participating in the technique portion of my classes and am wearing a brace around my torso for support. Should I not be? How long until the pain went away?

Thanks!
3/27/09 1:04 PM
JeffMiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, ribs take forever to heal -- bruised seems to take longer than cracked.

I'd try rolling with a painkiller -- I've done it with Demerol or Darvocet. See how that works. And this might actually help you focus on technique and steady breathing.
3/27/09 1:51 PM
VigneaultFan
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I rolled on painkillers wouldn't that increase the chance of re-aggravating the injury?
3/27/09 6:19 PM
JeffMiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^
Yes, yes it would. I guess I read your message as looking for methods to cope and get the blue belt you are close to getting.

Need to take 6-8 weeks of rests and recovery for a bad bruise or strain.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.